Updating Nav 2011 CTS coupe
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Updating Nav 2011 CTS coupe in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; How many of you in Cadillac Land updated their Nav ? Were you happy with the results or do you ...
    buckns is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Updating Nav 2011 CTS coupe

How many of you in Cadillac Land updated their Nav ? Were you happy with the results or do you think it's a waste of money and time ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mwhitted is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS4 Sport Wagon

Re: Updating Nav 2011 CTS coupe

I updated my 2012 about a month ago. I don't think it was worth it. I have seen no changes in the maps or addresses I've search. Loading the maps did take 3 hours and drained the battery which then caused it to throw codes after I jumped it. You MUST hook up a battery charger or plan on letting it run for at least 3 hours to load the data. Lesson learned for me - I won't do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by mwhitted
    I updated my 2012 about a month ago. I don't think it was worth it. I have seen no changes in the maps or addresses I've search. Loading the maps did take 3 hours and drained the battery which then caused it to throw codes after I jumped it. You MUST hook up a battery charger or plan on letting it run for at least 3 hours to load the data. Lesson learned for me - I won't do it again.
    Thanks .. They also want $199 for the disc .. For the price of the car and still under warrantee you would think that updating would be a free service .

mrlacy1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe Premium

Quote Originally Posted by buckns View Post
    Thanks .. They also want $199 for the disc .. For the price of the car and still under warrantee you would think that updating would be a free service .
    I thought we were allowed one free update under warranty? Did I dream it?

Quote Originally Posted by mrlacy1
    I'm pretty sure we are on our own for update

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Quote Originally Posted by mrlacy1 View Post
    You were definitely smoking something, lol! This is GM, remember?!!!

mrlacy1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe Premium

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    You were definitely smoking something, lol! This is GM, remember?!!!
    will they at least do the update for you if you bring them the dvd?

Do you mean the dealer? I don't know, but maybe if it is in for some additional work.

It is easy to do yourself. Plug it in and it will do its own thing. It takes a couple of hours (!) but you can turn your car off, then when you come back and start your car the update continues where it was. The radio is updated first and takes a few minutes, and after that the radio is operable, so getting back to where we were, it is an easy install.

For me, the next update for 2014 or 2015 is the last one I will purchase if they give us one.

clownin72 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Yes I updated mine, it was about 5 years old and none of the points of interest I searched for would come up and roads have changed. Yes I'm happy with it but I wouldn't have done it if it was only a year or two old. Hooked up a battery charger for the 3 hours and went flawlessly.

Smart hooking up the charger. I just drove to and from work with the dumb thing updating. Took forever it seemed.

HurstGN is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    Smart hooking up the charger. I just drove to and from work with the dumb thing updating. Took forever it seemed.
    You need to work further away from home

Quote Originally Posted by HurstGN View Post
    You need to work further away from home
    That's what my wife says...ARE YOU THAT GUY? She always asks me to call as soon as I get in my car on the way home from work.

Actually, the reason it took so long was I had to feed the CD over 75 time for it to actually start the upload. That was the year/application that everyone was having problems with the disc. I drive about 40 minutes each way. Anyway, that is another reason I am soured on our updates. Oh, yeah, that and the $200 cost!

HurstGN is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony

The $200 cost is my main reason for not getting an update. To add insult to injury is the ridiculous 3 hours to update. That's just about as inefficient as I have ever seen for an update. We have a Durango in the family. Dodge sent us a DVD letting us know they wanted to update the maps and some radio functionality....no charge. Then I read the instructions. It was basically insert the disk, tell it to update when asked, answer yes to update radio controls, answer yes to update maps, wait till radio restarts then answer no to tell it to not to try updating again and it will elect the DVD. So we did it. Less than 30 minutes and we were done. No cost, no hassle, no battery chargers, no trying 70 times. I seem to recall a Commodore 64 runs faster than a GM map update!!

And yes, I AM that guy. And that day you didn't call, my legs cramped up something awful hiding in the closet overnight.

ehindman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 4 3.6 DI

I purchased the 2014 map and updated last month. Mine was 6 years old. yes it cost me $200.00. Yes it updated the radio. Yes it took over three hours to update. Yes I have more POI's than before. No I cant5 tell any improvement on the Bose 10 Speaker surround system. No the maps are not accurately up to date. There are two new expressways that were constructed in NC. One that is a beltway around Sanford NC and one that is a toll road around the southern end of Raleigh NC. Both put in service late 2012. Neither of these high profile roads are on the map so the GPS tries to take you out of your way. I called the navigation arm of GM to complain and ask for an accurate updated disk. They said I should just go on their website and note the missing roads so they can be updated on their next disk release. I said my TomTom and my mobile phone both show the roads and calculate their use. The customer service rep said, "that's because they use satellites to gather their data". I responded "so you're telling me the GM GPS does not use satellites, correct?" The customer service rep couldn't answer that question. So I requested either an updated disk or a refund until one was available. Rep said that was impossible and again suggested I drive around and note any roads that weren't on the update and note my findings on their website. Ridiculous. Their disk is already outdated when you receive it. if two major arteries are missing you just imagine how much other data is inaccurate. BTW, I carry my TomTom for use in my rental cars when I travel. I get free map updates usually 3 times a year and this thing is always spot on. would really like to be able to depend on my CTS NAV option though.

ehindman...I updated mine as well a couple of years ago. Jacksonville had had major interstate work done over 3 years prior. Whenever I took the e-way my gps showed me "driving offroad". Pathetic, and we all agree here on this forum that the Cadillac/GM GPS system is PATHETIC.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.