mobile 1 synthetic oil change interval
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, mobile 1 synthetic oil change interval in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I did my own oil change in Jan to Mobile 1 Synthetic. Their website recommend to follow the manufacturer's oil ...
    is250sp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe Premium RWD

mobile 1 synthetic oil change interval

I did my own oil change in Jan to Mobile 1 Synthetic. Their website recommend to follow the manufacturer's oil change interval spec which is 7500 miles. I work at home a lot so I've only put 3k miles since Jan, however its been 6 months. Is it ok to wait till 7500 miles?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Re: mobile 1 synthetic oil change interval

"Is it ok to wait till 7500 miles?"

I would.

I also do my own Mobil1 oil changes, but around every 6 months or so and at 7500 miles. I send a sample to Blackstone Labs in Ft. Wayne. I also pay for the additional test showing remaining oil life. It comes back that I should extend my oil change intervals to over 9000 miles.

If you change your own oil, maybe you should try them. Even now, you could take a small sample, but that would probably be a major PITA. I have a Fumoto valve on mine, so it is easier.

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, new engine Nov '13 @ 44Kmi.

Quote Originally Posted by is250sp View Post
    ...manufacturer's [GM/Cadillac] oil change interval spec which is 7500 miles...
    Huh? Where did that come from?
    Mfr's rec'd oil change interval is OLM/DIC message or 12 months, whichever comes first, for all 2008-13 CTS.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

From the 2010 manual:

Engine Oil Life System
    When to Change Engine Oil
    This vehicle has a computer system
    that indicates when to change the
    engine oil and filter.
    This is based
    on engine revolutions and engine
    temperature, and not on mileage.
    Based on driving conditions, the
    mileage at which an oil change is
    indicated can vary considerably.
    For the oil life system to work
    properly, the system must be reset
    every time the oil is changed.
    When the system has calculated
    that oil life has been diminished,
    it indicates that an oil change is
    necessary. A “Change Engine
    Oil Soon” message comes on.
    See Engine Oil Messages on
    page 4‑40. Change the oil as
    soon as possible within the next
    1 000 km (600 miles). It is possible
    that, if driving under the best
    conditions, the oil life system might
    not indicate that an oil change is
    necessary for over a year. However,
    the engine oil and filter must be
    changed at least once a year
    and at
    this time the system must be reset.
    Your dealer/retailer has trained
    service people who will perform this
    work using genuine parts and reset
    the system. It is also important to
    check the oil regularly and keep it at
    the proper level.
    928S likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 928S View Post
    Huh? Where did that come from?
    Mfr's rec'd oil change interval is OLM/DIC message or 12 months, whichever comes first, for all 2008-13 CTS.
    got it from this site http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/UsedOil...ourNumber.aspx

Thanks, is250sp, interesting.
    It's my understanding that terms and conditions of warranty coverage are specified by GM and, if applicable, extended warranty GMPP, GMEPP, et al. - not CA.gov. Anyway, no issue for this non-California resident.

like2drive is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS RWD 3.6L SFI Black Cherry / Cashmere

Quote Originally Posted by is250sp View Post
    From that same website:
    "Almost all oil change interval “numbers” found through our website are based on using regular engine oil. Some makes and models require using only synthetic oil for their engines. Synthetic oil can help your engine last longer, and allow car owners to go even longer between oil changes –up to 20,000 miles."

I also follow the OLM. When it reaches 20%, I change oil and use Mobil 1 synthetic as per recommended.

J Bubba is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX Sport, 2008 CTS

Can't even imagine going a full year without changing the oil. This is the number one easiest preventative maintenance thing that can be done to keep your car healthy for years to come. My 08 had the OLM updated to aid in the timing chain issue. I've driven maybe 5,000 km or 3,100 miles and my OLM is at 50% today. I also never go below 25% on the OLM before I change the oil. Essentially I change the oil with every season, or at a minimum three times a year. Changing it once a year to me is just asking for problems.

Quote Originally Posted by J Bubba View Post
    Can't even imagine going a full year without changing the oil. This is the number one easiest preventative maintenance thing that can be done to keep your car healthy for years to come. My 08 had the OLM updated to aid in the timing chain issue. I've driven maybe 5,000 km or 3,100 miles and my OLM is at 50% today. I also never go below 25% on the OLM before I change the oil. Essentially I change the oil with every season, or at a minimum three times a year. Changing it once a year to me is just asking for problems.
    so you are saying you are smarter than the Cadillac engineers

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    No, changing it once a year is not asking for problems. Assuming the oil hasn't reached 0% by that time, the oil is perfectly capable of doing its job. Actually, there's a 100% safety margin built into the OLMs algorithm, so, theoretically, you could reach 0%, reset it, and drive to 0% again before the oil lost its ability to lubricate the engine. Plenty of oil analyses have proven the OLM as a safe and accurate way to calculate change intervals .

Changing the oil more often than the OLM says or every 12 months, whichever occurs first, is just wasting good oil. But if changing it sooner makes you feel warm and fuzzy, then go for it.
    C&C likes this.

FWIW, here's a list of pre-dexos1™ synthetic engine oils "recommended" for 2008-09-10 model years:

My local Cadillac dealer provides bulk Pennzoil Platinum, other brands on request only.

J Bubba is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX Sport, 2008 CTS

Well firstly, since I've only gone about 3,100 miles and I'm at 50% oil life, I'm surprised anyone is getting a year on their OLM. At the most I'll get six months and that's with average driving, you can see my mileage isn't high each month. And the comment about being smarter than GM engineers... well you guys will be the first to bash GM for their poor engineering as soon as your sunroof leaks or the timing chain goes... sooooo.....

Before the premature-timing-chain-wear recall/OLM recalibration, maximum oil life was typically ~13Kmi or 12mos - whichever came first. Since then, I'm lucky to get 5Kmi. Now at ~4Kmi with 14% oil life remaining.

More of the same. Again triggered by warranty claims for worn chains, last year 800,000+ 2010-12 Buick, Chevy, GMC with 2.4L 4-cyl engine were recalled to recalibrate OLM and shorten oil change intervals. So much for GM engineering prowess.
    J Bubba likes this.

remmyman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS, Sedan,Tuscan Bronze

I usually don't comment on oil type or changes because not even the so called experts can agree. But there is an interesting article that was in Consumer Report in 1996.The article can be accessed by going to www. Pelican Parts.com, clicking on one of the vehicles and go to oil change. If I knew how to put up the link I would.

Quote Originally Posted by remmyman View Post
    I usually don't comment on oil type or changes because not even the so called experts can agree. But there is an interesting article that was in Consumer Report in 1996.The article can be accessed by going to www. Pelican Parts.com, clicking on one of the vehicles and go to oil change. If I knew how to put up the link I would.
    A couple of significant caveats regarding the legendary (obsolete?) Consumer Reports 1996 NYC taxicab motor oil test: "Big-city cabs don't see many cold start-ups or long periods of high speed driving..."

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.