Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Soon To Say Goodbye

2K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  blankster 
#1 ·
I put my 2010 CTS Premium Collection AWD up for sale last weekend with only 31K miles. It looks like new. It's a business car and I have to sell it as opposed to trading it in because the book value is too high. I'm not sure what I will buy next. There are a lot of options out there with some considerably less that the new CTS. The gen3 CTS does nothing for me especially when I see the price. My 2010 has been a pretty good vehicle but there were a couple of fixes that kinda soured me on GM (again). New steering column, steering rack and a leaky front engine cover, driver door actuator. All fixed under warranty but a little disappointing. It will be interesting how successful the new CTS will be in the market. Based on the heavy discounts I see out there (at least in the Chicago area) for a all new model, I suspect it's not going well.

#2 ·
My brother has had two BMW's. POS both of them. He'll never go back and swears against them. He's had catastrophic engine and transmission failure on them before either were 4 years old. Four Mercedes in the family over the past 6 years. All with just as many problems as any other car, and parts are crazy expensive. You've had a few issues, but nothing out of the norm for any car. Just saying, if you think auto utopia is just around the corner good luck.

#4 ·
I took my car in for an oil change, the dealer;in my opinion is fairly large. About 200 new cars in inventory. I was told since the begining of the model year they have sold 1 elr and 1 CTS. They have a fairly large supply of ELRs based on what I have read about slow sales. I did not look for the CTS as I only saw one sitting outside the showroom entrance. They are loaded with XLRs and ATSs. They advertise the XTS for the same price as a new CTS and of course the ATS is a different price point. I was also told that the new ATS coupe with options will list north of 40k.
I don't know who comes up with their pricing but maybe that's why they have 200+ cars in inventory.

#5 ·
Luckily I'm not ready to move to a new car yet, but I definitely agree with your comment "The gen3 CTS does nothing for me especially when I see the price" . Even without the price issue the new Caddys have lost their style and flair, from sharp angles and sport looks, to Grandpas old rounded off Olds or Buick look. Between price and poor styling most of the new models seem doomed. Even the proposed new coupes are looking lame.

#6 ·
One of the reasons my next "business" car is kinda up in the air, is I'm getting close to retiring so I'm not sure whether I want to commit to a pricey vehicle now since I may work only one more year or 2.. Now cover your ears all u Caddy fans out there - Last summer I bought a new 2014 Jeep Wrangler for "fun" since I also moved on from Corvettes. The urban sprawl and traffic jams of Chicago kinda took the joy out of driving the Corvette around here. I was holding off for a new CTS last fall but when they announced the pricing, I decided to take a pass on it and bought the Jeep and held on to my current CTS. I must admit, I really do enjoy the Jeep Wrangler though maybe it's an I'm turning 60 thing. Prying it out of the hands of my daughter who's home from college is a challenge though. Another reason I bought a new one is the amazing resale (one of the highest of any vehicle sold in America). I bought a used 2004 Wrangler in 2008 with 8K miles for the kids and they drove it 5 years and put 50K on it... Sold it last summer for what I paid for it. Try to do that with a Cadillac. Perhaps when I retire (hopefully to North Carolina), I will see what Cadillac has to offer then. But I suspect the Wrangler will do a better job getting me to the fishing spots in the middle of some forest near Asheville than a Cadillac.. Ah it nice to dream :).

#7 ·
Well, hey, if you're going through the whole lifestyle change thing then maybe a caddy isn't your top pick. I had a 97 jeep TJ brand new. That was before I was married. I use to have the girlfriend (now wife) and my big dog and we'd jump in and go. Fun vehicle for sure. Certainly not without it's issues, the thing almost burnt to the ground on it's own in my driveway. Bad re-occurring radiator issues as well. That being said it was a blast in the bush, and never got stuck. They are built like little tanks. I bashed it around, dented the underbody armour, but never damaged a component while off road as they are meant to take it. Had to sell it once we had kids, it was the old two door version and a baby seat wouldn't even fit properly in the back seat. So if you're looking to find those private off the beaten path fishing holes, a Jeep might just do you well. That being said, a friend of mine just bought one new and paid $42K for it. I almost hit the floor. I paid $23K back in 97 new.

#11 ·
Wranglers run from 23K to maybe 43K for a loaded Rubicon. I have a Sport with all the options sticker was 35K (my 2004 with crank windows stickered for 30K). The current generation is light years ahead of the TJs (last generation) especially with the 3.6 which is 285 HP.. The demand for Wranglers is 285K per year but production capacity is 235K per year. They have added temporaries to the Toledo workforce. The line workers were getting tired of working 6 days a week. Also the new Jeep Cherokee is built there and demand for that one is also exceeding supply. Total production of both vehicles is projected at 506K for 2014. Not to get too off-topic but this would be a problem Cadillac would like to have.

http://www.northwestohio.com/news/story.aspx?list=194900&id=1017271

#18 ·
So, the idea is Cadillac slap some Wrangler and Cherokee emblems on the CTS's sitting in the lot and BAM!! Problem solved! :highfive:

Locally, I see lots of ATS's running around, but the CTS is a rare sight. Even the XTS is kinda scarce too.

#13 ·
If I get another sedan i'll look in the 40K range. There is some nice vehicles out there with a lot of options. The 2014/15 CTS at 60-70K does nothing for me and the ATS is too small. A 2015 Mustang 5.0 convertible looks interesting though as a "fun" car. This is interesting I went to price a CTS sedan "again" and I am directed to a GMC Sierra. Maybe Cadillac is trying to boost sales by selling pickups: http://www.cadillac.com/cts-sport-sedan/build-your-own.html?x-zipcode=85001

#15 · (Edited)
Interesting here is a cut and paste of the text I get less pictures:

SEARCH SEARCH ALL VEHICLESCOUPESSEDANSCROSSOVERS &
SPORT WAGONSLUXURY
UTILITYV-SERIES &
RACINGFuture
VehiclesCadillacCUE SHOPPING TOOLS Build Your OwnLocate a DealerLocate a VehicleRequest a QuoteRequest a Test DriveCompare VehiclesCurrent OffersCertified Pre-OwnedTrade-In Appraisal2014 CTS SEDANModel OverviewBUILD YOUR OWNPhotos & VideosTRIMS AND SPECIFICATIONSAccessoriesCompetitive Comparison BodystyleTrimColors & WheelsOptionsAccessoriesSummary Your Built gmc sierra 1500 SummaryPrintShareWish to Request a Quote or just learn more about your 2014 GMC Sierra 1500? Request a Quote

Get your complimentary Trade-in Appraisal Trade-in Appraisal

2014 sierra 1500 Regular Cab, Standard Box 2WDPrice$29,995*orIncludes $3,500Cash BackPlease see your dealer for payment information PricePlease see your dealer for pricing.
View Standard Equipment Select Drive Type
2 Wheel Drive 4 Wheel Drive
Select Trim
Sierra MSRP Starting at $27,170†

#17 ·
I just tried it again and got the same as before. Maybe something to do with cookies and your address. Bizarre. Maybe try your link above yourself and see what comes up.

Anyway, good luck with whatever. Got a lead on a "new" CTS with 9500 miles for under $60k at a local dealer here.

#19 ·
Ya, I see a few ATS's in my city, but yet to see a CTS on the road. I'm even in Toronto often, where you see luxury cars all day long and I've seen one CTS in the past three months. Let's hope GM gives their head a shake and rethinks their direction with Cadillac. If not there may not be a need for this forum to host topics past 2013 CTS lol. It's too bad, they go from right track to off track so quick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.