2008 cts rear door locks intermittent
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JCBCTS
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2008 cts rear door locks intermittent in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; A passenger went to get out of the back seat and the door would not open! I hit unlock a ...
    Blt93932 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2008 cts rear door locks intermittent

A passenger went to get out of the back seat and the door would not open! I hit unlock a few times, nothing. So I manually unlocked it, tries to lock it, wouldn't lock. Went I to a store, came out and it unlocked and locked normally. Now it's happening with the other rear door as well, intermittently, I can hear it trie to open, and see the plunger try to move, any ideas? Just stinks that I just bought the car Saturday.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

J Bubba is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX Sport, 2008 CTS

Re: 2008 cts rear door locks intermittent

Gremlins.... and they won't be there when you bring it to the dealer.

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Did you have your trans in "Park"?

If you did, take it back to the dealer that sold it to you!

Blt93932 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I did, called the dealer and they said "we already gave you a great deal" and I'm on my own ...plus the dealer is 2-2.5 hrs away

I feel like the dealer should have disclosed that, what else should I tell them?

calif phil is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe
    I doubt the dealer knew the locks were faulty.

Sigma1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Quote Originally Posted by Blt93932 View Post
    A passenger went to get out of the back seat and the door would not open! I hit unlock a few times, nothing. So I manually unlocked it, tries to lock it, wouldn't lock. Went I to a store, came out and it unlocked and locked normally. Now it's happening with the other rear door as well, intermittently, I can hear it trie to open, and see the plunger try to move, any ideas? Just stinks that I just bought the car Saturday.
    Just to be clear on what you're reporting is that your doors will somestimes fail to power lock / unlock but when you pull up on the sill button the doors will then open..correct?

What you are describing is an internal failure of the power actuator motor within the latch (MY 2008 - 2010). The motor has become compromised and carbon from the brushes has bridged the commutator. This created a direct short of the motor. You might get a few "strong" power cycles and then it stops.

Unfortunately the latch needs to be replaced.

Attachment 231890
    Motor

Attachment 231898
    Note carbon build-up on cap of motor

Anthony1238 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

is this something that can be taken apart and cleaned? any special tools needed? I have the same issue with my passenger front, it was being lazy then stopped working. Is this a Warrantied part? is it Number 6 in this Pic? http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODQ5WDEwMD..._id=880000500F

edit:Sorry mine is a 2010

Sigma1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1238 View Post
    is this something that can be taken apart and cleaned? any special tools needed? I have the same issue with my passenger front, it was being lazy then stopped working. Is this a Warrantied part? is it Number 6 in this Pic? http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODQ5WDEwMD..._id=880000500F

edit:Sorry mine is a 2010
    The latches can not be opened and serviced. The process to open the latch requires you to grind off two rivets which provides access to the internals of the latch. It's a remove/trash/replace operation.

Warranty....I've not heard of it but you can ask, typical cost is $350 to $400 per door (parts/labor) however you can get the parts and do it yourself, CTS replacement is actually very easy.
    The image of item 6 is the latch that needs replacement however there are many part variations based upon LH FRT/RR and base lever Vs passive release.

JCBCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS Base Manual Tran

I am having the same issue on my 2008. I have owned for a few years but this annoyance started a few months ago. It happens on both rear doors. I believe the original source of the issue is when the kids pull on the handle too early while the motor is in process. Anyway...do you have part numbers for the new actuators? Anyone have step by step how to disassemble door and replace?

Thanks!

remmyman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-4, Sedan,Tuscan Bronze

If you want to do your own work subscribe to AllData.com. It will be money well spent.

I replaced the drivers side rear lock actuator Saturday. Door was very easy to take apart and snaps that hold the door interior side of the door on went back on tight! Great to have a working lock again! Now that I have one under my belt...going to replace the passenger side. Part was 80 bucks on ebay.

exm22psu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD Premium

I have the same issue on my 09 CTS and will get it addressed under GMPP ... evidently a common issue ... it's my two back doors ...

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hi exm22psu,

I understand how an issue like this can be frustrating and I apologize for any inconvenience that it has caused. If you would like an additional layer of assistance when you contact the dealership regarding your rear door locks, feel free to send me a PM.

Enjoy your evening,

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care

felix711 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS Direct Inject

JCBCTS, Do you have the part # for both Rear Driver and Passenger doors? Where did you find the parts on ebay? Thx

Both rear door lock actuators replaced after failing at 60k miles (2008). Fairly Easy job considering I'm a novice - part cost 150 total for both sides.

Items sold by s1autoparts on EBAY
    2008-12 CADILLAC CTS SEDAN WAGON RIGHT REAR DOOR LOCK ACTUATOR 22862240 Paid $69.99
    2008-12 GENUINE GM CADILLAC CTS LH LEFT REAR DOOR LOCK ACTUATOR 22862242 Paid $79.99

Below is procedures from memory! It is fairly intuitive so if I forgot something its probably fairly obvious!

Step 1 - Pull Door Latch Open and Pry out Trim Piece That is Behind it - Remove the black screw behind it.
    Step 2 - Pry the plastic trim piece off under the arm-rest/pull handle - this takes a bit of finesse as it is tight but feels fragile - be firm but careful - Mine did NOT come all the way off...it hung on one clip that I could not figure out how to release (happened on both sides). Plenty of room to work with it hanging.
    Step 3 - Remove the Two Silver Screws exposed under the armrest trim.
    Step 4 - Pry off the entire door trim. The WHOLE THING comes off. I used a screw driver with cloth over it to avoid scratching the paint on inside of the door. Start at the bottom somewhere in case you scratch it a bit...once you get it started, the clips just pull out all around the door. Be careful at the top because the lock is stuck through a hole and you don't want to break the trim piece when the last clip releases - After clearing the lock...support the door trim because it is still going to hang from a cable.
    Step 5 - Remove the cable from the latch handle - Pinch the plastic piece to release it from the holder on the door. Once it is free the cable unhooks very easily.
    Step 6– Peel back the noise/insulation material. It is a rubber type substance with an adhesive. It sticks back on the door pretty well when you re-assemble!
    Step 7 - Remove the 2 screws that hold the actuator/latch. It is right where the door releases from the frame when opening.
    Step 8 - In addition to the lock that extends up through the door there is another metal rod and hook thing hanging from the door frame that attaches to the now hanging actuator by a plastic clip. The clip simply opens up...takes some force - I needed a screw driver. Not really sure the purpose of this one (anybody know...please pass it along!)
    Step 9 –Remove the connector from the actuator – there is a purple mechanism that pulls upward to release the connector. This is difficult to figure out the 1st time you do it – not very intuitive but easy to release once you know how it works.
    Step 10 - Work the actuator and lock rod out of the door frame. Remove the lock rod NOTING how it hooks on. You need to hook it the same way on the new one in order to get it worked back into the correct positions.
    Step 11 – Work the new actuator and lock rod back into the door frame. This takes quite a bit of Finesse and patience to get everything lined back up correctly. You have to work around the useless metal rod and the plug. Once you have it you can either try re-insert the plug into the actuator (if you have talented hands) or put in one of the screws to hold the actuator before you reinsert the plug.
    Step 12 – connect the new plastic clip onto the apparently useless metal rod – I just pulled it down tight as I could before clipping.
    Step 13 – Tighten both screws to secure the actuator. At this time test to make sure the lock mech is working when you hit the lock/unlock buttons
    Step 14 – If all seems to be functioning, re-stick the rubber like insulation back onto the frame.
    Step 15 – Hold up the full door trim and re-install the latch cable. This is easier than removing it!
    Step 16 – Begin re-installing the trim – START AT THE TOP – the top kind of hooks on to the frame…if you start at bottom you will find the top is not aligned in the correct position. Be careful feeding the lock rod back through the hole in the trim – it is tight. You may want to remove the decorative piece at the top of the lock rod to make this easier to feed through…it just screws off.
    Step 17 – Replace the 3 screws (2 in the arm rest/handle and one in the latch) and snap the trim pieces back into place.

----------

Oh and by the way - Left and Right are defined as you are sitting in the driver's seat looking forward (so left is driver's side).
    PTong88 likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.