New & need help-2009 cts dangerous & risky?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, New & need help-2009 cts dangerous & risky? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hello everyone, I'm new here. I'm from Canada and I really need some advice quickly because I have to make ...
    Robs327 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

New & need help-2009 cts dangerous & risky?

Hello everyone, I'm new here. I'm from Canada and I really need some advice quickly because I have to make up my mind regarding this situation. There is a reputable Hyundai dealer who is offering me what I think is a pretty good deal on a 1-owner 2009 CTS, it is a local trade and it's priced at $20,500 CDN. The previous owner told me that he traded it because he buys vehicles to stay within factory warranty. I am trading a 1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier with 147,000 KMs (90,000 miles), that's in great condition. The CTS has 62,000 KMs (36,000 miles) and it has the GM extended warranty on it for another 11 months with $0 deductible, so I would be covered by that warranty. The dealer is willing to take $12,000 CDN difference for the trade.

I have to let the dealership know whether I'm going to do this or not. But, I'm concerned. There seems to be many general complaints on the internet that the 3.6 engine is consuming a lot of oil, about timing chains, and even about faulty differentials. These things really concern me or I probably would have already bought it. To let you know, I'm not someone who is cashed-up, and to buy this car and have to add oil every 800-1000 miles is something I do NOT want to do, and doing costly repairs like replacing an engine or timing chain or differential after the warranty is over, would be stressful and somewhat difficult. If I bought the CTS, I would keep it for several years, but I'm worried it could turn into a real headache.

I know there are some other threads, but please, offer me some detailed advice for these questions:

1- Is it truly very common for the 3.6L to consume large amounts of oil and for timing chains to stretch?

2- Am I taking a SUBSTANTIAL risk regarding oil consumption and the timing chain after the warranty runs out, if I buy this car?

3-The previous owner has told me that one time he was driving the car and it started "jerking", and he found that he was low on oil. But, he said he always had the oil changed at 3000 miles and only would add 1 quart between changes. This was done at the GM dealer here, and it may have been part of his GM maintenance package. Is this an early sign of trouble?

4- Previous owner also told me that the alternator was replaced and that something in the rear of the car was replaced when he heard a clunking sound, he thought it was the struts or something to do with the rear suspension, he didn't know for sure what it was. Did these cars have strut/suspension problems?

5-Here's an unnerving thing: the general manager of a GM dealership, who is a friend of mine, told me that I wouldn't get treated quite the same way, through the extended warranty, as original owners do, with their original factory warranty. He said that if there were oil consumption issues that GM/extended warranty may make my life difficult trying to prove it and get something done about it. Is this true?

Please advise me in detail. Many thanks in advance, I will be checking back here frequently.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

calif phil is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Re: New & need help-2009 cts dangerous & risky?

I would rather have the old CTS than a new Hyundai. There are problems with any car and the only way to be certain they won't cost you $ in repairs is to always buy one under warranty. That '09 sounds like a nice car and I would not be afraid to buy it. I have owned three Cadillacs with the 3.6 and none have had oil consumption
    issues.

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

You say you don't want to have to add oil between oil changes.. And that the previous owner DID have to do this. There's your answer right there. And he was adding oil between 3000 mile oil changes. That's pretty bad because assuming the car uses synthetic oil, the oil change interval is much more than that. And the story about the car jerking and him realizing it was because the car was low on oil scares me a bit.

Alternator being replaced.. Probably no big deal although the car is still a baby.

Changing some suspension component shouldn't concern you.

The timing chain is covered under an extended warranty I believe. Forgot how long. (10 years 100k miles?)

You still have the extended warranty for a while so that's good.

Up to you but based on your criteria, it's a no go.

----------

And how a dealer treats you is dealer dependent. If one treats you like crap, let us know who it is and move on to the next one.

2laidback is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Cadillac CTS4 Coupe V6 DI Performance Collection

If I had that many things on my plate to wonder about, I would not go for it. The oil usage would keep me away. I'm on my second CTS. I would say the "08" had a few problems but the "12" seems to have it all together.

Hello again, thanks for the replies.

Guy: "The timing chain is covered under an extended warranty I believe. Forgot how long. (10 years 100k miles?)"

ANSWER: I got the 2009 CTS VIN and checked with a GM dealer and the service guy told me that this particular CTS is excluded from that warranty. Do you know why that would be the case? Or is it possible he is missing something? Would he know this for sure or do I have to contact GM about it?

Guy: "You say you don't want to have to add oil between oil changes.. And that the previous owner DID have to do this. There's your answer right there."
    Guy: "And he was adding oil between 3000 mile oil changes. That's pretty bad because assuming the car uses synthetic oil, the oil change interval is much more than that."

ANSWER: I wouldn't mind adding one quart of oil every 3000 miles, if it would STAY that way. To clarify what I meant, I do NOT want to be in a situation where I have to add a quart of oil every 800-1000 miles. In case like that, it seems to me that there is something obviously wrong and it's not going to go away without several thousand dollars to rectify it. Plus, it seems crazy stressful to go on a longer driving trip and always have to wonder, as you're driving, if your car's motor is so low on oil that it could blow up any minute. Do you think that adding a quart every 3000 miles is already too excessive?

2LaidBack: "If I had that many things on my plate to wonder about, I would not go for it. The oil usage would keep me away."
    calif_phil: "I have owned three Cadillacs with the 3.6 and none have had oil consumption "

ANSWER: I understand it. The oil usage reports around the internet do make me nervous. But, this is why I was asking about it, looking for an opinion as to how widespread this issue is. Is it TRULY widespread in these motors, or is it a case of the owners of motors that use excessive oil are present on the internet while the ones that do not use oil are not, thus creating an unbalanced perception that almost all of these motors use oil excessively? What do you think?

Thanks again, look forward to replies.

remmyman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-4, Sedan,Tuscan Bronze

If someone told me a car I was interested in buying was using a quart of oil every 3,000 miles that would be a deal breaker unless I was looking for a beater to bang
    around in. My 2011 3.0 CTS I bought in Feb. has about 3,000 s on it since I bought it and the dipstick still shows full.

http://www.acadiaforum.net/index.php?topic=10632.0

Maybe refer your dealer to this:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...43857-8394.pdf

It's actually 120k miles.

I personally wouldn't mind adding a quart every 3k miles. But it's not going to get any better. It's going to stay the same or get worse.

Douglas Rome is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-4 3.0 sedan black/black

first I'd say it's very unusual for a dealer to place you in contact with a previous owner; and if what
    the previous owner says he only had it serviced at the GM dealer, the car's service history is available
    for you to look at. the guy is going from a Cadillac to a Hyundai, really? The owner told you it uses a
    quart every 1500mi, if it were me I'd stay away from it. On the other hand, anytime you buy a used car
    you hope you are not buying a pig in a poke, not often you get to talk to the previous owner. thanks, douglas

Hello once again.

Guy: "Maybe refer your dealer to this:It's actually 120k miles."

ANSWER: Yes, I became aware of this. But the thing is, I DID give the GM service guy the VIN of the CTS and he told me the car was not eligible/not included in that warranty and I don't understand why he would say that. Why would it not be eligible or not included? Should I call GM directly to find out? If so, what number would I use to call them?

Guy: "I personally wouldn't mind adding a quart every 3k miles. But it's not going to get any better. It's going to stay the same or get worse."

ANSWER: Yes, I know it won't get any better. What worries me is: will it get worse, and what is the LIKELIHOOD that it will get worse?

Douglas: "first I'd say it's very unusual for a dealer to place you in contact with a previous owner; and if what the previous owner says he only had it serviced at the GM dealer, the car's service history is available for you to look at."

ANSWER: The Hyundai dealer made me aware of the previous owner accidentally. The salesman told me his name and I looked it up in the phone book, found his number, and called him. That is also how I found out about the extended warranty. The Hyundai dealer, nor the previous owner, even knew that there WAS extended warranty remaining on the car. Douglas' other comment is something else that I would like to get clarification about. Unfortunately, the salesman at the GM dealer told me that HE CANNOT SHOW ME THE CAR'S REPAIR HISTORY under it's warranty. Now, this is something that I don't understand at all. A dealer can HIDE a car's repair history?!? Is that possible?

Thanks again.

----------

Oh, and I forgot, Douglas...the previous owner told me that he added a quart of oil every 3000 MILES, not every 1500 miles.

Douglas Rome is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-4 3.0 sedan black/black

not providing the service history is baloney, I'd be leery. He said he changed oil every 3000mi,
    and added a quart between changes, that's why I split the difference at 1500mi. You don't add
    a quart at 3k and change oil at 3k, at the same time. thanks, douglas

JCBCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS Base Manual Tran

On my 2008 I change the oil every 6k miles or so and add 1 quart about half way. Timing chain extended warranty is 120k miles. I think the main issue with the chains is that the oil change interval was originally set to like 9-10k miles...by that time the oil was getting critically low if not monitored and topped off. Original recall was to reprogram the computer to reduce the oil change interval. 90% of owners don't check their oil at all and just have it changed when the computer gets to zero %.
    Guy.Seminerio likes this.

You need to talk to another Cadillac dealer. Or go to one in person. They're not making money off of you so sometimes when you call them, you're just an annoyance on the phone they have to get rid of. Go in person and talk to them. Better yet, talk to another dealer. Car is not covered under the extended warranty and they can't give you the service history? 0 for 2 if you ask me. Sounds like another crappy Cadillac dealer.

If another caddy dealer isn't nearby, consider a Chevy/Buick/gmc one.

like2drive is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS RWD 3.6L SFI Black Cherry / Cashmere

Quote Originally Posted by JCBCTS View Post
    On my 2008 I change the oil every 6k miles or so and add 1 quart about half way. Timing chain extended warranty is 120k miles. I think the main issue with the chains is that the oil change interval was originally set to like 9-10k miles...by that time the oil was getting critically low if not monitored and topped off. Original recall was to reprogram the computer to reduce the oil change interval. 90% of owners don't check their oil at all and just have it changed when the computer gets to zero %.
    The recall to reprogram the computer and reduce the oil change interval was performed on my 09 CTS. In the first years I had the car, I remember that the intervals between oil changes were longer, but I still would keep and eye on the oil level. In 9-10k miles, I would maybe add one quart - even less. Now, the oil change intervals are reduced to 6-7k miles. If I add oil, it's close to the oil change and it's less than a quart - I think it's around 1/4 to 1/2 quart just to top it off.

However, my car is also apparently not included in the extended timing chain warranty. I guess it depends when the car was build. They might have changed something toward the end 2009 MY. My car was build in March 2009, which I guess is not long time before they started making 2010 MY.

I have the SFI engine with around 66k miles on the clock.

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013

1qt. in ~1500mi.? That's unacceptable, in my opinion. Oil consumption in excess of GM's official accepted rate of 1qt. in 2000mi. should have been, but apparently was not repaired under mfr's original B2B/Powertrain warranty. Extended warranty arguably might pay for a rebuild or new engine, like my GMPP did after GM reneged, but why take on the megabuck risk and potential hassle?

Sorry, Robs327. I suspect that previous owner and Hyundai dealer are holding back for now, but ready to release a big burst of laughter if and when you buy the car.

He said 1 qt in 3k miles.

So maybe this 09 had a build date after the improvements were made for my10. In that case there is less of a chance of chain failure but it's still not unheard of. And the fact that the previous owner had that scare would still push me away.

You seem like you really want the car because even though a bunch of (biased) Cadillac/CTS owners are actually trying to dissuade you from buying it, you persist. There are a lot of these cars out there. Chances are you won't know the history on them like you do on this one, but you KNOW this one has a pretty questionable history. Look elsewhere.
    Leaf 68 likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.