Disconnect Center Speaker
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By RAB
  • 1 Post By dhendo
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Disconnect Center Speaker in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; What would be the best way to disconnect the center channel? My audio guys forgot to do this when putting ...
    dhendo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS

Disconnect Center Speaker

What would be the best way to disconnect the center channel? My audio guys forgot to do this when putting in new equipment.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Acdcpsp is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

Re: Disconnect Center Speaker

Removing both A pillars. They are clipped in. Then remove the speaker cover it's all one piece. Start wight the middle and work your way to either end one at a time. then the speaker is held down by two 9mm screws I believe. Then remove the speaker and unhook the connector.

jamiejam1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS COUPE Performance W/Navi

Why would you want to do that? BTW I believe that is also the on star speaker! That center gives you Dolby digital, DTS Center channel and Imaging stage and linearity in Digital audio, iPod, XM and DVD... As an Audiophile I would leave it, and if the shop that installed your system says it doesn't do anything, Find another shop.... ...

Quote Originally Posted by jamiejam1 View Post
    Why would you want to do that? BTW I believe that is also the on star speaker! That center gives you Dolby digital, DTS Center channel and Imaging stage and linearity in Digital audio, iPod, XM and DVD... As an Audiophile I would leave it, and if the shop that installed your system says it doesn't do anything, Find another shop.... ...
    Well I do not watch DVD's in my car or listen to any other 5.1 source.. Strictly stereo music that does not require a center channel.. Basically I do not want the shitty noise coming from this channel playing over my nice components.

I was hoping there was an easy way to do it from the amp instead of taking the dash apart.

Acdcpsp is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

Could always take the driver side trunk cover off to get to the factor amp. Find a wiring diagram and point out where the wires go to the center and snip at least one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by dhendo View Post
    Well I do not watch DVD's in my car or listen to any other 5.1 source.. Strictly stereo music that does not require a center channel.. Basically I do not want the shitty noise coming from this channel playing over my nice components.

I was hoping there was an easy way to do it from the amp instead of taking the dash apart.

Slee_Stack is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Wagon RWD Premium, Used to own 2005 STS 1SG

Neither BT nor OnStar use the center channel (according to the shop that just did my install).

I don't use onstar so I can't confirm though.

As an FYI, door chimes utilize the front door speakers.

My center channel is disconnected now. I don't miss it but then I also had a DSP installed making a center channel pointless.

If just replacing speakers, I'd probably have replaced the center with a matching driver although I would admittedly have wanted a volume control to turn it down. Not so easy with stock Bose.

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

With the first 2nd gen CTS I owned (a fully optioned 2008) I discovered that sound wasn't coming out of the center channel speaker most of the time. I discovered the issue while playing a 5.1 DVD-A disc. The problem was traced to poor signal continuity between a couple of connector/plug pins and their audio amplifier mating pins. The problem was resolved at the dealer by replacing/installing new pins on all connectors to the amplifier.

The best/easiest way to disconnect/disable the center channel is to remove one of the wire pins for the center channel from the connector at the audio amplifier, which is located on the left sidewall of the trunk. The two wires (one is yellow and the other is light blue) for the center channel connect to the amplifier via connector/plug "X2". The yellow wire goes to pin# 12 of X2; the light blue wire goes to pin# 13 of X2. Note there are a total of 4 connectors that plug into the audio amplifier - X1, X2, X3, X4.

As further info & reference, below are links to the wiring diagram for the Nav/Infotainment/5.1 Surround system on the 2008+ 2nd gen CTS :
    Wiring diagram page 1 of 4: http://www.mediafire.com/view/t9qx0w...ier-1-of-4.pdf
    Wiring diagram page 2 of 4: http://www.mediafire.com/view/ppnoip...ier-2-of-4.pdf
    Wiring diagram page 3 of 4: http://www.mediafire.com/view/uufu5u...ier-3-of-4.pdf
    Wiring diagram page 4 of 4: http://www.mediafire.com/view/69fvao...ier-4-of-4.pdf

Cheers
    RAB
    hauler, Acdcpsp and dhendo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RAB View Post
    With the first 2nd gen CTS I owned (a fully optioned 2008) I discovered that sound wasn't coming out of the center channel speaker most of the time. I discovered the issue while playing a 5.1 DVD-A disc. The problem was traced to poor signal continuity between a couple of the connector/plug pins and audio amplifier mating pins. The problem was resolved at the dealer by replacing/installing new pins on all connectors to the amplifier.

The best/easiest way to disconnect/disable the center channel is to remove one of the wire pins for the center channel from the connector at the audio amplifier, which is located on the left sidewall of the trunk. The two wires (one is yellow and the other is light blue) for the center channel connect to the amplifier via connector/plug "X2". The yellow wire goes to pin# 12 of X2; the light blue wire goes to pin# 13 of X2. Note there are a total of 4 connectors that plug into the audio amplifier - X1, X2, X3, X4.

As further info & reference, below are links to the wiring diagram for the Nav/Infotainment/5.1 Surround system on the 2008+ 2nd gen CTS :
    Wiring diagram page 1 of 4: http://www.mediafire.com/view/t9qx0w...ier-1-of-4.pdf
    Wiring diagram page 2 of 4: http://www.mediafire.com/view/ppnoip...ier-2-of-4.pdf
    Wiring diagram page 3 of 4: http://www.mediafire.com/view/uufu5u...ier-3-of-4.pdf
    Wiring diagram page 4 of 4: http://www.mediafire.com/view/69fvao...ier-4-of-4.pdf

Cheers
    RAB
    This is exactly what I want to do. Is it possible to remove the connectors and still be able to put them back in the future if need be? I do not want to cut the wires.

I ended up popping out of of the connectors using a small screw driver. Thanks everyone for the comments.
    hauler likes this.

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by dhendo View Post
    I ended up popping out of of the connectors using a small screw driver. Thanks everyone for the comments.
    Glad to hear it worked out for you.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.