Wheels
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Slee_Stack
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Wheels in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hi all. Brand new to the forum and first time Cadillac owner. First off great forum. Very informative. I have ...
    earthpig13 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 4 DI

Wheels

Hi all. Brand new to the forum and first time Cadillac owner. First off great forum. Very informative. I have a 08 CTS4 DI with shiny chrome type wheels. What are they made from. I'd like to get rid of the curb rash on them by sanding and polishing. Are they aluminum ?Has anyone ever tried this ? Is there a clear coat on them ?Any help is appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

928S is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, new engine Nov '13 @ 44Kmi.

Re: Wheels

Yes, factory OEMs were highly-polished (not chromed) clearcoated aluminum alloy. To confirm, look for RPO code "P63" on the placard attached to underside of spare tire cover in trunk floor.

Welcome to the forum !!!

loosend is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DI RWD w/ Prem & Perf Pkgs Blk/Blk FE2

There is a color in the coating on the "polished" P63 rims to make them look polished so you will see a difference between the coating and the actual aluminum when you sand the gouges out and go through the coating. I used the coarsest grit sandpaper that would remove the gouges and then went to a finer grit until it was smooth and used a heavy grit Meguires cleaner for the final step. Don't sand a larger area than necessary and I have no idea why GM painted the rim and called it "polished" but they did. You repair will be noticable but it wont stick out as much as the curb rash so take your time.

Slee_Stack is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Wagon RWD Premium, Used to own 2005 STS 1SG

All aluminum, regardless if polished, oxides without a protective coating, annodization, chemfilm treatment or other top layer.

That is why GM 'painted' them with a clear coat.

When you are done with your rim repair, you will want to apply whatever clear coat GM used or something similar.
    loosend likes this.

earthpig13 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 4 DI

Thanks for all the help. Not sure what I'm going to do yet.

loosend is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DI RWD w/ Prem & Perf Pkgs Blk/Blk FE2

Quote Originally Posted by Slee_Stack View Post
    All aluminum, regardless if polished, oxides without a protective coating, annodization, chemfilm treatment or other top layer.

That is why GM 'painted' them with a clear coat.

When you are done with your rim repair, you will want to apply whatever clear coat GM used or something similar.
    There is a bright metallic color in the coating but it does make the finish on the rim very brilliant with minimal care--Until you gouge it. Thanks for the information on this and maybe I will use the wife's clear nail polish on my repair for protection. She will love that. LOL

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.