Are wheel bearings part of the powertrain?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By dan87951
  • 1 Post By halister
  • 2 Post By toolman8
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Are wheel bearings part of the powertrain? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I think my left rear wheel bearing/hub is bad. There's a noticeable groan coming from back there that's totally speed ...
    toolman8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1929 Cadillac 341B sedan, CTS4 3.6 Performance Wagon

Are wheel bearings part of the powertrain?

I think my left rear wheel bearing/hub is bad. There's a noticeable groan coming from back there that's totally speed dependent and getting worse by the day. I noticed it a few months ago but figured it was normal since it wasn't getting worse (only I could hear it) but earlier this week, it got considerably louder such that even my kids asked what it was. It's definitely a wheel bearing rumble, no doubt about it.

Anyway, I'm only a month out of warranty and was wondering if anyone knew if the wheel bearings fall under the powertrain warranty instead? I contacted our friends at Cadillac here on the forum, but they weren't sure. I don't want to call the dealer until I have a little knowledge myself. I read the warranty book but it's kind of vague on what's included and I'm not sure if it's a wheel bearing or a hub or what.

Anyway, I'm guessing it's not a rare issue and perhaps someone else here has handled it in the past.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dan87951 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Too many cars to list...

Re: Are wheel bearings part of the powertrain?

I can't answer your question but I would be shocked if they were covered. These are considered wear items like tires, brakes, clutches..
    99flhr likes this.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    No, wheel bearings are not part of the power train.

halister is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Most bearings come in the hub now. That so it's do able for driveway mechanic now without a press. If your handy around a toolbox about two hours.
    99flhr likes this.

99flhr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

IIRC the hub/bearing assembly is about $140 from various suppliers. So DIY it`s cheap, a recent poster got a decent installed price of $316.00 for a Timken unit. Still not painful.

As Tinman suggested in that thread, have them both done and
    ask for a $50 reduction in the labor cost as the car is on the lift, and the required tools are "out" . Worst case they say "no"

rebelrude is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS rwd 3.0 premium pkge-pearl white

I have a 2011 cts with less than 50000 miles and just had my left front bearing changed under warranty. It would hum when I made a right turn and the dealer handled it with no problem.

dklswh is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

I had one replaced under power train.

like2drive is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS RWD 3.6L SFI Black Cherry / Cashmere

I also had my rear right bearing replaced under power train.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by toolman8 View Post
    I think my left rear wheel bearing/hub is bad. There's a noticeable groan coming from back there that's totally speed dependent and getting worse by the day. I noticed it a few months ago but figured it was normal since it wasn't getting worse (only I could hear it) but earlier this week, it got considerably louder such that even my kids asked what it was. It's definitely a wheel bearing rumble, no doubt about it.

Anyway, I'm only a month out of warranty and was wondering if anyone knew if the wheel bearings fall under the powertrain warranty instead? I contacted our friends at Cadillac here on the forum, but they weren't sure. I don't want to call the dealer until I have a little knowledge myself. I read the warranty book but it's kind of vague on what's included and I'm not sure if it's a wheel bearing or a hub or what.

Anyway, I'm guessing it's not a rare issue and perhaps someone else here has handled it in the past.

Thanks!
    Hello toolman8,

I do see that Austin recently responded to your private message, please feel free to let us know if you would like any assistance in getting in contact with your dealership and working with them further. I did research your question further about the wheel bearing part of the powertrain warranty, and I looked at the 2010 Cadillac warranty manual. It does state that the wheel bearings are excluded from the powertrain coverage. Here is the text from the manual:

“Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are all wheel bearings, drive wheel front and rear hub bearings, locking hubs, drive system cooling, lines, hoses, radiator, sensors, wiring and electrical connectors related to drive systems as well as any drive system control module and/or module programming.”

I hope this information helps! Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us further if you would like us to contact your dealership on your behalf.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

like2drive is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS RWD 3.6L SFI Black Cherry / Cashmere

Just browsed and found the following from
    http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/200...year-warranty/

That would explain why I did have a wheel bearing replaced under powertrain on my 2009! One can wonder why they eliminated wheel bearings from powertain...could it be because it's a recurring problem on these cars? When my car was under the B2B warranty, the front right wheel bearing was also replaced. Therefore, both bearings on the right have been replaced thus far, and the car has only 64k miles!

GM Service Operations

**Urgent Message**

DCS 412

DATE: September 21, 2009

TO: All US GM Dealers, Service Directors, Warranty Administrators and Parts Managers

SUBJECT: Changes to the General Motors 100,000 Mile/5 Year Powertrain Warranty for 2010 Model Year Vehicles

This message is to provide information regarding the a few changes to the GM Powertrain Warranty for 2010 model year vehicles. Previous model year vehicles are NOT affected by these changes.

For model year 2010, General Motors is announcing a slight change in the components that are covered under the 100,000 mile/5 year limited warranty on all light duty cars and trucks. The Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklets have already been updated with these changes in all New 2010 model GM vehicles.

The following items have been eliminated from the Powertrain portion of the coverage for 2010, however, they will continue to be covered for the entire length of the Bumper to Bumper Limited Warranty for all GM vehicles. Select components may also be covered by Federal or State Emission coverage. Please refer to the Labor Time Guide and Policies and Procedures (P&P) manual for further details.

1) The entire pressurized fuel system (in-tank fuel pump, lines, fuel rail, injectors and return line.

2) The Engine/Powertrain Control Module (ECM/PCM) and module programming.

3) The Transmission Control Module (TCM), Transfer Case Control Module and module programming.

4) The Throttle Body Assembly.

5) Clutch and Pressure Plate for Manual Transmission.

6) Sealed Wheel Bearing Assemblies or Hub and Bearing Assemblies (axle shafts, seals and bearings that are part of

complete axle housings are still covered).

The following items have been added to the Powertrain portion of the coverage for 2010.

1) Engine oiling system including the hoses, lines and cooler.

2) Crankshaft Pulley.

3) Clutch Master Cylinder.

The GMVIS (GM Vehicle Inquiry System) and the new Global Warranty Management Investigate Vehicle History screen allows you to identify this new warranty by the abbreviated description under the Applicable Warranties section. The word warranty at the end of the description is abbreviated “WTY”. Previous 100,000 mile/5 Year Warranties have the entire word spelled out.

60/100,000 Powertrain Coverage Limited WTY (2010 Model Year example)

toolman8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1929 Cadillac 341B sedan, CTS4 3.6 Performance Wagon

Just to follow up, Dave Towell Cadillac came through for me again. Initial calls were answered with the standard boilerplate that the bearings were not covered under the powertrain warranty and since I was out of the bumper-to-bumper warranty (by 30 days) there was no recourse. Then I called the service manager at Dave Towell Cadillac (Bob Johnson) and after about a week of chasing him down to get an answer, he managed to get it covered with a $100 deductible. I was VERY pleased. Car was fixed in a few hours on Friday and all is well again.

I don't expect hand-outs and if they'd told me that the warranty was up and that was that, I would have understood. I'd be disappointed, but I understand that they have to draw the line somewhere. A $100 deductible to make the repair sounds fair to me and I'm pleased with the results.
    HurstGN and EVH5150 like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.