2008 CTS Needs New Heads
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2008 CTS Needs New Heads in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; My 2008 CTS recently hit 100,000 miles (February) and started throwing an engine code which came out to my timing ...
    CTSILLAC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

2008 CTS Needs New Heads

My 2008 CTS recently hit 100,000 miles (February) and started throwing an engine code which came out to my timing chain needing to be replaced. GM was good about this known issue and took care of the $2,000 job with no cost to me. Bummed that it needed a new chain, but its awesome GM admitted an issue and took care of it.

Here I am 2 weeks later and the car stuttering and sputtering from cold starts. I take it in to the dealer and am told there is oil in cylinders 1&6 due to bad heads. According to the dealer the aluminum in the heads is so porous that its seeping oil. The repair cost comes out to $5,499 which will not be covered.

I've taken the car to the dealer several times for oil consumption and was told nothing is wrong. Now just after 100k the dealer is telling me everything is wrong. Between the 2 repairs that will mean this 2008 with 100,000 miles will have needed $7,500 in engine work for problems that they are admitting are poor quality parts.

Does anyone have any input or advice in this issue? I just bought new wheels for the car and did $400 in preventative maintenance during the timing chain repair, I would hate to just dump it at this point.
    ptrapasso likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Re: 2008 CTS Needs New Heads

When something goes wrong, you should 'ask' what has changed! I suspect that your dealer didn't do the repairs correctly on the timing chain recall. Send a message to Cadillac Customer Service and ask for assistance!

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, new engine Nov '13 @ 44Kmi.

CTSILLAC,

When did you buy the 2008 CTS, and what was the odometer miles?

Any warranties in effect, any documentation (such as repair order w/dates, miles, oil consumption test results) when you took it to the dealer several times for oil consumption?

I bought the car in 2011 with 38k miles on it. I do have at least one documentation about the oil consumption.

I asked the dealer why i only started having this issue after the timing chain repair. Their response was that the timing chain was so stretched that it was causing the engine to run retarded enough to mask the mis-fire issue caused by the head seeping oil. So essentially the old timing issue was hiding the head issue.

00 ss is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

BS! No way a timing issue masks a misfire. That would mean that retarded timing was causing compression ignition. This can't happen! Get Cadillac customer service involved ASAP. Either they screwed something up or it's very curious coincidence.

When they did the timing chain I had them
    replace the water pump and flush / refill the coolant. The flush included a pressure check and inspection which came back good. So that means the head gaskets are fine correct? Could it be oil blowing by the rings? If so, it still leaves the question of why I never had an issue until after the timing chain.

Cooling system pressure OK means that the entire cooling system in intact, heads, gaskets, block, radiator etc. If I had to guess, the oil is coming from te PCV system. It could be rings, but I bet there is some oil in all cylinders and it's from the PCV. Did they look into the ignition system, plugs, coils etc? It could be as simple as oil fouled plugs and a top engine clean and a catch can.

DaddysCaddy13 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts

OMG ....I'm have the same damn issue only I decided to change my plugs because of poor gas mileage (I have a 2011 3.6 AWD) and ever since it's been running awful! So I took it to my neighborhood mechanic who informs me two cylinders has very low compression ?? WTF... so yeah I'm gonna need a new engine ! Mind you I bought the car in November of last year so I'm definitely not a happy camper,I should've stuck with my Acura's

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Strange, one of the other things I had done while the timing chain was being swapped was new plugs.

Sounds like your 2011 should be at least covered under warranty correct?

If the oil is in fact coming from the PCV, what's the fix for that? Sounds like I need to get this to a second dealer, though these $100 diagnoses charges are adding up.

I'd start with a catch can and a top engine cleaning. Maybe new plugs as well after the clean if it still misfires.

----------

It may be too late and the rings are damaged but you'll want the catch can for the replacement engine anyway. It's also possible that the oil is coming from the valve seals. If this is the case it would likely smoke at cold start up and clear up after you run it a bit.

The plugs on this engine are positioned in such a way that debris will into the cylinder when they are removed if the wells are not blown out well before they are removed. It's curious that both of you have poorly running engines after a plug change.

SOLVED IT. I kept thinking, what could cause my engine to have oil in the heads after they changed the timing chain? Well, they changed the oil too. So I checked the dip stock. It's all the way up to the cable! Are you kidding me?! I even took it back to them and they didn't notice this.

image.jpg

they over filled the oil? Get it out and fill it properly. That will definitely put extra pressure on the rings.

DaddysCaddy13 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts

So when you put the proper oil levels in it did it solve your problem ? Also did you have all your codes cleared and lastly how's it running now?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Alright, I don't know much about cars so I'll give the rundown and my thoughts. I took the car in (dealer is 1/4 mile down the street) and when they checked the engine hot the oil was at the max full (not over full). I took it home defeated but then checked it cold myself again, it was back up over full to the cable again.

I drained out 464ml / .49 quarts which brought it to the upper level on the dipstick when cold (not quite at max).

I took some pics of oil pressure before and after at idle-

Before at idle:
    image.jpg

After at idle:
    image.jpg

So far so good. As you can see the pressure dropped by a little over 10psi

The question is, was the not even half a quart too much enough to cause this problem, or to just bring it to light? Is running less oil just a band aid fix for what are in fact, bad heads? I have always lost a lot of oil in this car.

99flhr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

The extra 1/2 qt of oil does not alter the pressure output of the pump.

The engine temp is higher in the pic with lower oil pressure, that is the cause.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.