Navigation Update
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By The_Judge
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Navigation Update in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Greetings, I am brand new to the forum, so please forgive me if I am not handling this correctly. I ...
    GSN
    GSN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Premium

Navigation Update

Greetings, I am brand new to the forum, so please forgive me if I am not handling this correctly. I have a 2012 CTS Premium and I've never been happy with the amount of street names that display on the Nav. I see there is a new 2014 update, and my question is does anyone know if this will be improved in any way, or rather its a software issue and this would be strictly a data update. So in other words, would still display very few street names. Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Re: Navigation Update

Don't expect much. Please don't take this wrong, but it is obvious you are new because no one who has been on this forum long is a fan of our nav system and how GM porks us on updates. (this comment was not directed at you, it is just to point out how we all hate this nav system from 1985).

Welcome to our funny farm.

GSN

Ok gotcha, and I definitely don't take your comments the wrong way. I appreciate your response. And I will have to add that this Navigation is pitiful compared to my other 2 cars, at least from a display standpoint.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

I keep hoping that there will be an announced "final update" so I can buy that and GM gets my last navigational dollar. Until then I keep holding out on updating. I did one update and I still drive through "white patches" showing no highways on my nav screen

kingtj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe, Premium edition

Well, to be fair? I generally have better luck with the navigation system in my CTS than I do with the stand-alone units from Garmin, TomTom or the like. I think for one thing, it's tied directly in to the vehicle's electronics and sensors so it's informed how fast you're moving or if you put the car in reverse. It seems to be a bit more intelligent about announcing an approaching turn at the right time, for that reason. (Going by nothing but the GPS satellite location info alone leave a greater margin for error.)

I was just offered the "discounted price" of $159.99 and free shipping to order the new navigation DVD before the end of July ... and seriously, that price looks a lot more like it SHOULD be full retail MSRP. The fact they normally want $200 for it is an utter ripoff.

My CTS is a 2011 and I bought the updated maps for it in 2012. Other than the fact I noticed it knew about the existence of a few more points of interest (mainly area gas stations or retail stores), I couldn't tell anything obvious had changed. But that's, IMO, to be expected, because just driving around in town, I wouldn't ever know about thousands of road changes in the rest of the U.S. that were probably put in. I skipped buying the maps in 2013, but I've definitely found a few sub-divisions where I live now, where the current maps aren't aware of some of the street addresses. The roads were extended further and new homes built there since the 2012 maps were made.

I'm considering buying these 2014 maps .... but at the same time, doubt they'll help me find enough places that the current ones can't to justify the cost. I can always pull out the iPhone and use Google Maps as a secondary method anyway.

GSN

Thanks for the input kingtj. I also noticed they were running a special through the end of July with free shipping which is why I was considering buying it. If you happen to get it, I would really appreciate any feedback you might have about the update.

Jagillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe
    I can't remember how I found it. But on their website there is a virtual update tool thing that allows you to select a major city and it shows how many changes have been made also how many streets, pois etc that have been added in the area.

GSN

Thanks Jagillac, I will check it out.

clownin72 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Seen the discount on navigation.com as well. Looks like I'll fall for it since mine is beyond outdated from 2010

Slee_Stack is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Wagon RWD Premium, Used to own 2005 STS 1SG

If you are looking for street names to be displayed, try zooming in further. The more you zoom out, the fewer descriptors are shown.

I would be shocked if any update changes this behavior.

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

I've been driving my 2008 and 2011 CTSs all over Southern California for business for for the last six years, going to multiple locations between San Luis Obispo, San Diego, Calexico, and Blythe. Even though I've never bothered with any of the overpriced updates offered by GM, the NAV system has never failed to find my destination on the first try. And if it did, I'd either press the OnStar button (although I no longer have the routing option) or I'd whip out my iPhone and consult Waze or Google Maps or any of the other mapping apps I have.

My point is this: unless you live in an area that has extreme rapid growth and frequently travel to those new areas, the map updates are, IMHO, a waste of money.
    RAB and HurstGN like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.