Knocking sound when the car warms up ( driving me crazy)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Knocking sound when the car warms up ( driving me crazy) in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Ok so every morning when I warm up my car with in the frist 20 minutes I hear a knocking ...
    BeEasyBoi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Question Knocking sound when the car warms up ( driving me crazy)

Ok so every morning when I warm up my car with in the frist 20 minutes I hear a knocking sound coming from the back, at first I thought some one was in my trunk ( and yes I checked and no one was in there......hahahaha jokes on me). But now it's to the point that it's getting on my nerves at the same time it's as if my car is telling me hey I'm warmed up now and ready to go. I'm just curious has anyone else experience this or is this a normal thing for the CTS 2010 model 3.6-liter V6?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dan87951 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Too many cars to list...

Re: Knocking sound when the car warms up ( driving me crazy)

Definitely not normal! I wonder if you have a CV joint going bad? This noise is only heard when moving correct? Does it get louder depending on which way you turn the car?

Dan I only hear it when I turn the car on after it has been sitting for some time, it does not matter if the wearther is cold of hot. Once the car is warm you hear 2 knocks and that's it, other than that no knocking sound while I'm driving. It's been like that since I first purchased it back in Nov. of last year.

ltdltc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS4 Performance Sport Wagon

Both of my 2006 DTS's did this. It's the EVAP purge solenoid purging the system or something to that affect. There is a TSB about it that explains that it is normal and if the customer still isn't satisfied to replace solenoid.

I'm betting that is what your hearing. I was never bothered by the noise after reading the TSB so I lived with it. I've only had my 2010 CTS for little over 3 weeks now and have never heard the sound.

thank you at least I know now it's nothing major, I just had to know what the sound was and if I was the only person hearing it.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hello BeEasyBoi,

I understand the knocking noise you hear upon warming up your vehicle can be disheartening. I am glad to see forum members provided insight to your situation. If this is something you would like your local dealership to look into, or if you have any additional questions, please feel free to send me a private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Joe
    Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS blk/blk

Hi,

These engines run very rich when started to warm up the CATS. Mine does it also and that's the way it was explained to me; true or false I don't know. I don't pay much attention to it anymore thankfully it's not a piston slap or crank bearing.

Happy Motoring

thank you for everyone replies, sorry for getting back with you so late just got back in town from taking the CTS on it's first road trip and I must say I'm very impressed.

Panzer Leader is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS 3.6 V6 RWD Performance Sedan

I had a similar problem on my G8.....

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hi BeEasyBoi,

I am glad to hear your first road trip with your CTS was a great experience! Continue to enjoy your ride and if you ever have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us for assistance.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.