Squeaky drivers seat
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Squeaky drivers seat in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Within two days of buying a certified 2011 cts sedan the drivers seat started squeaking while going over bumps And ...
    Laura Cowman is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question Squeaky drivers seat

Within two days of buying a certified 2011 cts sedan the drivers seat started squeaking while going over bumps And also just moving in the seat. The car is still under warranty. Will this be covered ? Not off to a good start with this car!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Re: Squeaky drivers seat

What does your dealer say? Yes. they will 'try' to fix it. Do a search on the forum and you will find a lot of threads on this.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Laura Cowman View Post
    Within two days of buying a certified 2011 cts sedan the drivers seat started squeaking while going over bumps And also just moving in the seat. The car is still under warranty. Will this be covered ? Not off to a good start with this car!
    Hi Laura Cowman,

I am sorry that the CTS ownership did not start off as well as hoped. I would be happy to look into this and contact a dealership on your behalf. If you would like to PM me your VIN, mileage, dealership, and contact information, I can begin working on it. Hope to hear from you soon!

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care

mrlacy1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

Mine just started doing this as well...it seems to only happen when moving around via driving (speed bumps, sharp turns). If I wiggle and try to cause it I can't, will bring it up on my next service.

CleatToSpeed is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS DI

I'll post this here for now but will see what other forums can benefit. I have a 2008 CTS that started squeaking a few weeks ago. Started driving me crazy and figured I'd try to fix it. Started by unbolting the two bolts at read of seat (torx bit) and sprayed a silicone spray on everything visible under the seat. Hinges, springs (anywhere they contacted other spring areas) etc. Didn't resolve it, so a couple days later, I unbolted the seat again and pulled it out of the car. Didn't unbolt seat belt, enough there to pull on and still allow removal of the seat from the car.
    Removed back cover from the seat. Simply pull hard on the bottom and spring clips will pop out. Top portion of cover just slides under a bracket/frame on the seat. Once removed, my thought is that the squeak was coming from the lumbar mechanism. It's a piece of stamped metal whose ends are pulled together by a motor/cable, thus making it "bow". The frame that this piece is attached to (and rides on as it's pulled together or released) goes through another frame. Felt the parts and saw they were dry and likely to make the noise. Sprayed silicone on these areas and anything else I saw that might make contact with other metal parts. Snapped the rear cover back on, re-bolted the seat back to the floor and no more squeaks! Will try to post a picture in a few minutes.

A pic of the seat back removed and the lumbar plate and supporting rods. Notes added which detail the parts that I lubricated.
    Note: The seat back can be removed by pulling outward on the bottom. Don't pull on the top edge as that has plastic frame that slides under a frame in the seat. Once the bottom pulls out, slide the cover downwards to allow the top to release.
    Seat-Back01.jpg
    hauler likes this.

Oh, when removing the seat, don't forget there are some connectors under the front of the seat that need to be disconnected. These are the cables for powering the seat adjustment motors. Make note of how your connectors come apart or take some pics with a cellphone or digital camera before you disconnect them.

J Bubba is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX Sport, 2008 CTS

I've developed a squeak in the passenger seat. Luckily it seems to only squeak with people over 190lbs or so. So when my wife or son are in the car who are frequently with me it doesn't squeak. Just co-workers on the way to lunch make it squeak. Lol.

hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Sportwagon 18.2city 28hwy 25hwy AC on

My 2013 does not have power lumbar support [I added lumbar padding when the seats got cloth faces], but it has the same support plate with no motor drive or cables. It also seems to have a design change, since the rods ride in plastic grommets where they pass through sheet metal brackets. I used NAPA Sil-glide to lube the grommets. I also used a vinyl protector [like armorall] for lubrication on the edges of the plastic panels that shroud the upholstery and the seatback plastic panel edges.

PS All I did for access was power the seat and the seat back forward, then pull off the back cover.

Quote Originally Posted by J Bubba View Post
    I've developed a squeak in the passenger seat. Luckily it seems to only squeak with people over 190lbs or so. So when my wife or son are in the car who are frequently with me it doesn't squeak. Just co-workers on the way to lunch make it squeak. Lol.
    Hi J Bubba,

I apologize that your passenger seat is squeaking, but I’m glad you’re able to get a laugh out of it only happening to your coworkers. If you would like to speak to a dealership about resolving the squeak, please feel free to PM me and I’d be happy to reach out to them for you.

Have a great day,

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care

dlpuette is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 AWD Performance Coupe, 2011 Harley ElectraGlide Limited

I can't believe this thread resurfaced! I literally just started having a squeaky driver's seat yesterday!!! I hate it. I'm no fan of the CTS seats to begin with. I seem to be in the minority, but they really are terrible. I love everything else about the car!!

So nobody chimed in as to whether this is a covered warranty item or not.

Quote Originally Posted by dlpuette View Post
    I can't believe this thread resurfaced! I literally just started having a squeaky driver's seat yesterday!!! I hate it. I'm no fan of the CTS seats to begin with. I seem to be in the minority, but they really are terrible. I love everything else about the car!!

So nobody chimed in as to whether this is a covered warranty item or not.
    Hi dlpuette,

I am sorry that you are currently dealing with a creaky driver’s seat in your CTS. If you are considering taking your vehicle to a dealership, I would be happy to arrange an appointment for you. Please PM me your VIN, mileage, dealership, and contact information if you are interested or would like to discuss this concern further.

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care

J Bubba is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX Sport, 2008 CTS

Of course if your car is still in the bumper to bumper warranty range you should be covered. Just bring it in.

azianbob is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Black/Black 2013 CTS Sedan 3.0L Luxury RWD

My 2013 CTS had the same problem, the first time the dealer only tightened some screws and it went away but came back like a month later so they replaced the seat frame. It's been about two months and has not come back. My car was still under the bumper to bumper warranty so it was all taken care of free of charge and I had a loaner for 5 days while they figured out the problem, ordered the part, and replaced it.

I can't say much for GM reliability (already had like 4 electronic breakdowns so far and I've had the car for 6 months) but fortunately no mechanical issues and they sure stand behind their product because all of the issues were taken care of for free under the warranty. GM makes a hell of a truck tho, my dad's 2007 GMC Sierra has 184000 miles on it and no issues whatsoever other than oil changes and other routine maintenance (and tires, lots of tires haha).

MD_Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe Premium 11 MPG COMBINED...No Fix
    I've heard from the techs at my dealer it happens often and as mentioned the only remedy is to switch out the frame. Don't let them be lazy or stingy...bc they will be if allowed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.