New to Me CTS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, New to Me CTS in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; New to the forum, have lurked a bit. Long time Cadillac man here though, so not new to the cars. ...
    J Bubba is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX Sport, 2008 CTS

New to Me CTS

New to the forum, have lurked a bit. Long time Cadillac man here though, so not new to the cars.
    Wife has an '07 SRX sport with V8. Love that truck, has been a blast to own and still runs great with minimal issues.
    I just traded in my '03 CTS for a used '08 with 70,000 KM on it. Only paid $15,500 for it. Was driven by an old dude and meticulously serviced at the local caddy dealer. It still had the protective sticker that is put on the digital screens in the car. That's how fussy this guy was. Test drive was flawless, smooth as silk, clean service record as well, just some minor items over the years.

So, I was a bit nervous getting the '08, being the first year of second gen. Was aiming for a 2010 or 11. But the price and condition of this one sold me on it.

So I'll likely hang out here more often. Sharing experiences and such. My '03 was a rock for many many years, but sadly just became too old and was breaking down on me. I've actually never owned a car as long as I owned the '03, and hoping my '08 treats me just as well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

calif phil is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe
    Congrats on the new car. We had zero issues with the '04 CTS we had but I must admit I really prefer the newer style. You will love the 08.

Dave1442397 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS 3.6 RWD Sport Wagon

Re: New to Me CTS

Congrats, good luck with it. Check to make sure it's not on the list of cars with the timing chain issue, or if it is, that the dealer fixed it.

Dave, glad I joined the forum already. I assume you're saying a range of cars had the timing chain issue? I searched the forum for a list of cars but didn't find a list but did see some threads on the topic. From what I see so far, the previous owner should have received a recall letter to bring it in to replace the timing chain? If I can find this list I'd check my VIN as soon as I pick it up Tuesday.

I feel somewhat assured as they showed me the service record at the dealership, and the original owner did every single thing at the exact right time. I didn't see a timing chain repair though. So I would assume that had this vehicle had the timing chain issue it would have been fixed. Also, through the GM certified used car program they would / should have caught this had it slipped by in the past.

At any rate, I'm surely going to look into it just in case. I'll ask the dealership to explain which vehicles were involved and how my 08 is affected.

Thanks for the initial help!

Yeah, I figured if he had all his service done by the dealer that they would have taken care of it, but it's always worth checking.

You can send your VIN to one of the Customer Service reps here on the forum and they will check for you.

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013

J Bubba,

In U.S. (Canada dunno) all 2008 and most 2009 CTS were included in the "premature timing chain wear" recall, but timing chains were not replaced. Instead, sensors were adjusted to allow more timing chain stretch before triggering CEL warning and OLM was recalibrated to shorten oil change intervals; and, now, extended 10yr/120Kmi timing chain warranty provides for replacement of timing chains/tensioners and related wear parts on an after-the-fact as-needed basis.

Welcome and hope you enjoy "new" '08 CTS!

wcthunder is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Coupe 3.6 RWD Perfomance Pkg, TriCoat White Diamond

Welcome!!!

Wolfster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS4 3.6DI

Welcome to the forum J Bubba, I'm sure you're gonna love your CTS.
    Like yourself I got an 08 that was meticulously looked after and I had the same concerns. My chain wasn't redone so my service adviser asked for my last 8, I believe, digits of my vin and checked it out. She told me that GM had covered me for it for 10yrs/193,000 timing chain extension. I'm in Canada, those #'s are kilometers. I was very pleased that Gm had extended this for me, as this was my major concern with the car.
    Meanwhile, I've been thoroughly enjoying my CTS and I'm sure you will also. Again...Welcome, good to see you here.

Thanks all. Dealer was very helpful and faxed me the service schedule where the previous owner had the ecm reprogram at 35,000 km and they have my copy of the extended warranty letter to 10yrs and 190,000km for the timing chain. They buffed out the hairline scratches, polished and detailed today. Picking it up tomorrow after work. Can't wait to drive home tomorrow night, I'm gonna take the extra long route!!!

First mod has to be grille enhancement for sure. Either the chrome overlay for the large slats or perhaps a blacked out mesh grill. The car is black on black. So may stick with the theme. Here in Ontario we still have a tone of snow from our brutal winter, so I'll have a month or so to decide as I'll wait till it's nice out to do upgrades.

Thanks for the feedback all.
    J

JCBCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS Base Manual Tran

I too bought an 08 used (base, 6-speed manual). Had 16k when I originally purchased...now over 60. I have had no issues whatsoever. My only complaint is that the black paint seems to have lost its shine and doesn't look as sharp. I had the timing chain recall performed which entailed only the re-programming (no replacement). There is also a headlight recall related to the connections...i am waiting for a bulb to burn out before bringing her in for that one. Good luck and keep us posted!

matthewsimmons is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Congrats on the new car the only advice I have it to check your oil levels regularly.

Kevin2050 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Yes and only use mobile one full synthetic

Took ownership tonight, love it!! One problem, the car came with winter and summer performance tires, told dealership to put summer tires on thinking how much longer could the snow last. sheeeesh, snow this afternoon, my driveway is on a hill and after I went inside the CTS slid down to the bottom of the driveway!! I almost pooped myself when I saw it. Luckily it slid straight back and didn't touch my wife's SRX right beside it. Moral of the story, keep you snow tires on until the snow is really gone. Guess I'll be taking it easy on the driving for a month. Then I'll have to try out that competitive driving mode
    Took it to my fathers house who has a Mercedes E Class. beside his E Class the CTS looks like it's gonna rip the Mercedes head off and eat it. Much prefer the aggressive look of the CTS. Anyhow, thrilled so far.

Quote Originally Posted by J Bubba View Post
    Luckily it slid straight back and didn't touch my wife's SRX right beside it.
    Wow, very lucky indeed! I have the OEM tires on mine, but if I see snow, I work from home and the car stays in the garage. I hope we're done with snow...we got a little bit last night, but the roads were clear this morning.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.