CTS-V Top Speed
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, CTS-V Top Speed in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I wanted to throw this open to discussion - I am trying to understand what is the top speed of ...
    rodinoma is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade; 2009 XLR; 2008 STS-V; 2013 CTS-V

CTS-V Top Speed

I wanted to throw this open to discussion - I am trying to understand what is the top speed of the CTS-V in its various body styles. In the US literature I read that the autobox is limited to 284 kph (175mph) and 308 kph (191mph) in its manual version. And the European Cadillac literature says the same thing (see the first link below under specifications).

http://www.cadillaceurope.com/data/b...v_brochure.pdf

But the video below of a Dutch Auto Week journalist driving a CTS-V wagon with the autobox on a German highway shows him reaching 299 kph (185mph) and I have reached 308 kph (190mph) in Italy in my non-US CTS-V wagon and been a passanger in another one in Germany where v-max was also 308 kph and it too was an autobox. The last video is a German video (no subtitles) of a CTS-V wagon with the manual - fun to watch them cruise at speeds that we can't even dream of back in the US.

So what gives?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG5Zt...MneD4N9f7jnnHE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdqDB...MneD4N9f7jnnHE

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Re: CTS-V Top Speed

You should he better luck using the CTS V forum. This I the CTS non V forum.

Pray tell, why does it matter anyway?

sorry - I shall. I just want to understand why CadillacEurope advertises the top speed as 275 kph when in fact I have since found out that it is 308 kph. These things matter when one can drive at these speeds - when I do battle with W12 Bentleys and V12 Ferraris in Germany, Italy and Spain the speed between 250 kph and the limit is critical. That is where the game is played. The German manufacturers have an unwritten rule that their base cars (ie not AMG/M/RS) are limited to 250 kph (155 in funny money) but the Americans, Italians, Britons and Porsche do not follow this law - so the battle for supremacy is played out between 250 kph and 330-350 kph. There are very few cars in the 300+ kph crowd so I like that my car can keep up with the best of them. That is why I bought a V.

is250sp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe Premium RWD

Quote Originally Posted by rodinoma View Post
    sorry - I shall. I just want to understand why CadillacEurope advertises the top speed as 275 kph when in fact I have since found out that it is 308 kph. These things matter when one can drive at these speeds - when I do battle with W12 Bentleys and V12 Ferraris in Germany, Italy and Spain the speed between 250 kph and the limit is critical. That is where the game is played. The German manufacturers have an unwritten rule that their base cars (ie not AMG/M/RS) are limited to 250 kph (155 in funny money) but the Americans, Italians, Britons and Porsche do not follow this law - so the battle for supremacy is played out between 250 kph and 330-350 kph. There are very few cars in the 300+ kph crowd so I like that my car can keep up with the best of them. That is why I bought a V.
    Keep in mind there are a lot of aftermarket performance parts for the V. I am sure with enough money you can pretty much beat every car in Europe

I appreciate that but I am stickler for originality. I like to show Europeans how good our cars are and the best way to do that is to show them the original car with no mods or aftermarket parts tacked on. The other issue (and I know this from personal experience many years ago) is that the US tuners/performance part manufacturers do not have the ability to test their products at the sustained high speeds we reach in Europe. Its one thing to squirt to 290 kph for one second on an abandoned runway - it is quite another to cruise for minutes on end at speeds which put enormous pressure on wheels, tires, brakes, inter-coolers, radiators, hood latches; weatherstripping and oil coolers. This is one of the main reasons the German car manufacturers fight vociferously every time some noodle from the Green Party tries to put a speed limit on Germany highways. They remind their parliamentarians that German engineering superiority is based on their ability to engineer their cars for these speeds - take that away and what do you have. Expensive but boring cars. And it is why Cadillac has to go to Europe every year to fine tune their suspensions because they just can't do it back home. Its a shame really because it is one of life's greatest pleasures. Caning cars at their intended engineering limits -

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.