auto tranny from D to M on go and downshift causes 2 gear downshift
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, auto tranny from D to M on go and downshift causes 2 gear downshift in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; 2010 CTS4 3.6. For example, driving at 40 MPH in D. Move shifter to M and dash says "4." Then ...
    BIC
    BIC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-4 Sport Wagon Premium Collection 3.6L FE2

auto tranny from D to M on go and downshift causes 2 gear downshift

2010 CTS4 3.6. For example, driving at 40 MPH in D. Move shifter to M and dash says "4." Then manually shift down one to 3 and it goes to 2. Once it's done that, feature works OK thereafter, shifting down one gear at a time. Typical reason for this scenario is going down a hill. If go directly to M while stopped, no issues; only if shift to M on the go.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Sportwagon 18.2city 28hwy 25hwy AC on

Re: auto tranny from D to M on go and downshift causes 2 gear downshift

According to my manual, the pull down engages sport mode, which obviously wants the engine in a higher rev range.

BIC

Quote Originally Posted by hauler View Post
    According to my manual, the pull down engages sport mode, which obviously wants the engine in a higher rev range.
    Switching from Drive to Manual, puts it in Sport mode, which does increase relative RPM in each gear compared to Drive. Pulling it down, engages Driver Shift Control (DSC). Then, RPMs are controlled by the shifter (see quote below). There are some very fine distinctions in semantics in the owner's manual on this topic which makes it a bit confusing.

Regardless, the Sport mode increase in RPM doesn't account for the double shift down because once in DSC mode, it should only respond to manually selected shifts (unless they're potentially damaging shifts, then the command is ignored {thought I saw that somewhere, but can't find it now}). What concerns me is these double downshifts lead to a high-revving engine and chirping tires. The following two sentences on page 8-29 seem to say my issue should not be happening. While in DSC:

"The transmission will only allow you to shift into gears appropriate for the vehicle speed and engine Revolutions Per Minute (RPM). The transmission will not automatically shift to the next lower gear if the engine RPM is too high, nor to the next higher gear when the maximum engine RPM is reached." Thank you for your response.

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium
    My CTS never skipped a gear nor does my LaCrosse.

Does it happen all the time? If so, I'd bring it into the dealer and replicate it with one of the techs in the car.

BIC

The dealer has it and today said they ordered a new shifter. We'll see in a couple of days.

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium
    Awesome, please keep us posted!

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hey BIC,

Glad to see you are working with the dealer to resolve your problem. Please let us know how it goes and feel free to reach out should you require additional assistance.

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

When I go from D to M it always downshifts a couple of gears at highway speed, like from 6 to 4 (or is that 25 or 6 to 4...nevermind, that only happens in the Windy City). Moving right along, if I then almost immediately downshift again, it will only go to 3, not to 2 unless I have dropped revs/speed that would cause the algorithms to make this occur.

Odds are, BIC, that there is something wrong here like you believe. Let us know if your new shifter help out, please.

BIC

Sorry for the delayed reply. First, they replaced the Transmission Control Module. Didn't fix it. Then replaced the Body Control Module, which they say did fix it. I don't know what either module does.

I will say some things are different. Now, when I engage DSC, the M icon on the dash turns red; previously, was always white. I didn't even know that was supposed to change to red. It seems to downshift only one gear correctly (instead of the previous two) in the lower gears, from third or fourth, so no distress. But, when downshifting at low RPMs in fifth or sixth, it will drop two gears. But, those downshifts are smooth, so I'm guessing that's just a computer being smart. I guess I'm good, but wouldn't mind hearing from others that might do some testing to see if you can duplicate the results. Thanks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.