First Cadillac Newbie
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, First Cadillac Newbie in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hello everyone My name is Joe and wanted to say Hi and introduce myself as I'm a new member. I ...
    regalsc1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS-4 DI

First Cadillac Newbie

Hello everyone
    My name is Joe and wanted to say Hi and introduce myself as I'm a new member.
    I picked up my first Cadillac it is a 2008 CTS-4 with the 3.6 direct injection loaded with most options and 130k miles.

Any advice on what I should be looking for or what I should do as far a preventative measure to the car to keep it running tip top with the mileage. I don't have the repair history but I thinking getting a carfax in hopes it was dealer maintained.
    Just kind of curious as to what to expect.
    Anyways thanks for any replies, really enjoy driving this CTS and it has made me a fan of Cadillac.

Thanks
    Joe
    Gomaz and Sailirish7 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kevin2050 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Welcome....id suggest only using full synthetic Mobile One for starters. Do you know whats been done so far?
    Gomaz likes this.

arw1510 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
    There's a section. On the Cadillac website for owners and from there you can create a profile and add your car by vin and at least for me, all my dealer service visits are listed there. Might try that before paying for Carfax, although you should of gotten one before buying

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Re: First Cadillac Newbie

Check out the Owner's Manual. It's a good read chock full of information ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. No, really, it does have lots in it, including prescribed maintenance. As arw1510 mentioned, have a dealer run your VIN to see what has been done or check out the website he mentioned. This would be a great start and will tell you lots about the previous owner and how he/she maintained your vehicle. Welcome to the Forum. We all have a "First" Cadillac!

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by regalsc1 View Post
    Hello everyone
    My name is Joe and wanted to say Hi and introduce myself as I'm a new member.
    I picked up my first Cadillac it is a 2008 CTS-4 with the 3.6 direct injection loaded with most options and 130k miles.

Any advice on what I should be looking for or what I should do as far a preventative measure to the car to keep it running tip top with the mileage. I don't have the repair history but I thinking getting a carfax in hopes it was dealer maintained.
    Just kind of curious as to what to expect.
    Anyways thanks for any replies, really enjoy driving this CTS and it has made me a fan of Cadillac.

Thanks
    Joe
    Hello Joe,

Welcome to Cadillac Owners and congratulations on the purchase of your first Cadillac! I hope you are enjoying your 2008 CTS so far. You will learn a lot of insightful information while being an active member on here. If you ever have any questions, don't hesitate to send us a private message so we can assist.

Kindest Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Thanks to everyone for the advice I will checkout the Cadillac website.
    It's the first time I got a car where I didn't know the history, so never thought of checking VIN until after the fact. You're right I should of checked before the purchase. Kevin2050 I don't know what's been done, no obvious signs of mods though. I do know the owner before me only used mobile one synthetic, and was very meticulous on the cleaning of the car.

JackB is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS AWD DI

Knowing the owner is a great advantage. Can't he tell you the repair history? Check to be sure he had all the updates done.

matthewsimmons is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Don't go by the oil life monitor on the dash, check your oil regularly.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    OLM monitors oil life.

"Checking your oil" tells you your oil level.

The two have nothing to do with eachother.

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Keep an eye on your oil level; if your engine doesn't use much oil, and you are at 130,000 miles, you should be in good shape (engine-wise). Just getting to 130,000 miles bodes well for the projected life of your vehicles (though things can certainly go wrong on a high mileage car); you would seem to have had a well maintained vehicle (citing your observations, so far).

At 130,000 miles you should have already had a spark plug change, a coolant change and perhaps a transmission fluid change. As mentioned earlier, check your owners manual, and if you don't have one, there is one available on the Cadillac web site.

yatesd is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD Thunder Gray Chromaflair/Ebony

Congratulations on your new ride! I've got the same car with about 95K on the ODO with no major issues. Since you don't have the service history I would be tempted to take it to a Caddy dealer to see if all applicable software and hardware updates have been done. Since you and I have the first year of this model this is probably more important than normal.

Just don't get suckered into doing more than what is covered in the manual and as always, leverage dealer coupons!

matthewsimmons is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    OLM monitors oil life.

"Checking your oil" tells you your oil level.

The two have nothing to do with eachother.
    Ok but my point of saying that was don't disregard checking your oil levels bc you're waiting until your OLM is telling you to get the oil changed. Most people are going to see the OLM and never check the oil level again.

JackB, He didn't own the car for very long so he only had to do oil changes that is why he can't provide a more detailed history.
    I understand what you're saying about OLM. It hasn't used any oil so far but I hardly have any miles on since purchase. Rather drive my beater car in the winter slush on the roads. Not that I would rely on it but doesn't it have a low oil indicator as well as the olm?
    From what I've read on the forums it seems oil consumption to a degree is normal, Is a catch can needed?
    That is a good suggestion and I think I'll call the dealership Monday to make an appointment for a "checkup".
    It does have all of the owners manual and other books in the glovebox
    I have noticed a thumb whenever the back passenger wheel hits a bump so I need to get it in for that. Thinking it sounds like a shot strut mount. Because of the high miles I did buy a bumper to bumper extended warranty. The cost of a timing chain repair scared me into the warranty.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Quote Originally Posted by regalsc1 View Post
    Not that I would rely on it but doesn't it have a low oil indicator as well as the olm?.
    There is no low oil level sensor on the 3.6 only the CTSV has one.
    There is low oil pressure sensor and warning though.

cadillacmike68 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brg, 09 STS N* Platinum, 11 CTS Premium

Quote Originally Posted by matthewsimmons View Post
    Don't go by the oil life monitor on the dash, check your oil regularly.
    I'm calling BS on this. The GM oil life monitor works VERY WELL. You should immediately change the oil though and reset it, in case it was not changed (and the life monitor just reset). Don't even think about any other oil except Full Synthetic.

After that change it when it gets down below 10-25% - your preference. Minimum once per year!

What the oil life monitor does NOT do is actually detect when the oil gets changed and it DOES NOT monitor Oil LEVEL. You need to check this regularly.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by cadillacmike68 View Post
    I'm calling BS on this. The GM oil life monitor works VERY WELL. You should immediately change the oil though and reset it, in case it was not changed (and the life monitor just reset). Don't even think about any other oil except Full Synthetic.

After that change it when it gets down below 10-25% - your preference. Minimum once per year!

What the oil life monitor does NOT do is actually detect when the oil gets changed and it DOES NOT monitor Oil LEVEL. You need to check this regularly.
    To the OP, welcome to the forum and good luck with your CTS4. We had one. The sun roof was quite noisy. The middle brace gets saggy and needs replacement. This may or may not have been done.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.