search function debate
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, search function debate in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I've been reading a lot of threads lately on this issue. I used to be a member of a Lexus ...
    is250sp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe Premium RWD

search function debate

I've been reading a lot of threads lately on this issue. I used to be a member of a Lexus forum and this is a direct quote from a senior moderator with 78k posts so I think he has some wisdom...

just couple things i notice. all humans are lazy in general. everyone wants to just ask and get answer and no need to do more. that's just nature of humans, it's not something "wrong", but it's probably not ideal in most eyes.

what we can do is to educate people to search and try to make them adapt to our culture. to me when people come and ask a question, we (experienced members) have couple of choices
    1) ignore it, since it's been covered 100000 times
    2) ask them to search, nicely, and also do the search for them and provide the links, showing them search is as easy as asking (what dave does all the time)
    3) just answer it again, for the 100001th time (what i usually do with a comment to search)

that's pretty much what we can do, and we can only do what we can to change the society. we are not here to discourge people from asking, but we are here to build a community where everyone will help each other and understand each other.

i can almost for sure say that:
    1) we were all newbie ones
    2) we knew nothing from the beginning
    3) we might have searched, but we must have asked something that some people think is silly, redundant, and useless
    4) imagine if you were treated that way, or is PENALIZED for asking a question.

would you want that? i for sure don't. i go to a lot of forums, some of them are total ***, where you ask a question and 80% of the replies are "oh boy another newb" "do a search can ya?" "post something useful please". that's a very good reason for me to LEAVE that forum for good. i ask something hoping for an answer or guidance, not insults from some people who could very possible not as useful as i am

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

99flhr is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

Re: search function debate

Create a sticky labeled FAQ`s
    C "T" ess and Tbbt like this.

CTSCHICK is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

A sticky that says read the owners manual prior to asking any questions? j/k
    99flhr and mnmjack like this.

arw1510 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
    I gotcha. I will reduce my a-holeness when its a newbie. Just lose it every now and then

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

I don't think there is a debate or issue about asking a member to do a search.

We aren't kids and we shouldn't expect to be hand fed information! Pretend you're in school!

By reading posts and doing searches we learn about our cars. That's good, isn't it?

Grumpy Marv

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

I agree that I/we could lighten up on some of the questions folks post. I guess that when I started out I just tried different things by trial and error, like using the search function, so I wouldn't be as much of a PITA to the veterans of the forum. I guess I still haven't figured everything out and I still am a PITA, but now that includes both veterans and noobs alike!

Pdabs is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS4
    Idc and I didn't read the original post.
    Bottom line is 80% of question have already been covered. 50% the questions asked, the answer is still top 10 on the front page.
    All I say was "lazy" and I was to lazy to read it

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

I really don't get it; no one would think twice about using a search engine on the internet. Life is full of questions and the answers are out there if you simply look for them.
    To me the most irritating thing is when someone starts a thread that was discussed just a few days before. We're not even saying, use the search function but look at the posts on the same page. I have no problem being annoyed at people like that. We encounter questions every day, how do these people get through the day without someone to get the answers from.
    I've said it before. Do a search, if you don't find what you are looking for or have questions about what you found or need further information; we are here to help. If you won't do your part I have no reason to go out of my way to do it for you.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Some of these issues arise from the "I want it now" generation. The same folks who have always gotten a trophy, even for last place, while growing up. The same ones who can't take criticism in the office environment when they are dressed down.

Not all of them, mind you, but it is a problem some of us have to address. I realize my comments may open up another can of worms, but they are real.
    C "T" ess and HurstGN like this.

MoFex is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options
    Quote Originally Posted by tinman
    Some of these issues arise from the "I want it now" generation. The same folks who have always gotten a trophy, even for last place, while growing up. The same ones who can't take criticism in the office environment when they are dressed down. Not all of them, mind you, but it is a problem some of us have to address. I realize my comments may open up another can of worms, but they are real.
    Agreed!

Mistercoffee2 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Tbbt View Post
    I don't think there is a debate or issue about asking a member to do a search.

We aren't kids and we shouldn't expect to be hand fed information! Pretend you're in school!

By reading posts and doing searches we learn about our cars. That's good, isn't it?

Grumpy Marv
    You know Marv, no reply works also. Let them learn through "silence".
    tinman and DRW315 like this.

Procrastinator is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Premium 2WD/3.6 DI

The fact this site has a really good advanced search makes it easier.
    Some may not be as familier with using the function and get frustrated so just ask.
    Reminding someone to search first is OK as long as we remember it is usually a noobie.
    We don't want to turn them off the board because we are all a bunch of whatevers...
    Giving a link to an example thread is nice.
    Also remind them a search may bring a wealth of information on thier subject as opposed to one or two responses in a new thread.

I have found what I needed quite a bit by searching.
    Having only been a member for about 1 month, all of my posts so far have been responses to existing threads.

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by tinman
    Some of these issues arise from the "I want it now" generation. The same folks who have always gotten a trophy, even for last place, while growing up. The same ones who can't take criticism in the office environment when they are dressed down. Not all of them, mind you, but it is a problem some of us have to address. I realize my comments may open up another can of worms, but they are real.
    +2! No can opened here because it's true! Always "me first" too...

Cashr22 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 cadillac cts coupe and a 2004 retro bird
    I am new to the cadillac forum and I know that people can get on your nerves by asking the same thing over and over. Life is to short for use to gripe about whether a person does a search on not . It best that you keep quite unless you have something positive. This is supposed to be a fun, so live and let live.

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

I always welcome newbies (generally) and also advise them to search when the topic is asked over and over, many times on the first page of the site. I would suggest that Cashr22 live the site for a while before giving advise to members telling them to 'be nice'!

Cashr22, you're so new I couldn't respond to your personal message to me!!!! So here it is, I was being kind to lazy newbies!!!! Is there a way to funnel these repeated questions to Cashr22????

Enjoy, Marv

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.