Considering a +09 CTS...hows the reliability?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Considering a +09 CTS...hows the reliability? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; So when spring hits, I'm probably going to be getting rid of my 03 wrx for something newer and nicer ...
    08yfz450 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE, yet...

Considering a +09 CTS...hows the reliability?

So when spring hits, I'm probably going to be getting rid of my 03 wrx for something newer and nicer riding for my work car. I drive couple hundred miles one way twice a week usually all year so I want something comfortable. I'd really like a 11-12 sti but the stiff ride and like 20mpgs isn't what I'm looking for as I already have a weekend car.

Now I've done some searching this past week or so and I'm just not sure. My subie was very reliable, havn't had any problems other than the usual 100k mile timing belt replacement (which I did, at 130k but looked good still) and an o2 sensor went out. I've read things about many motor problems, electrical, ect. (on ones other than the 08s which had the most) and some people say they love it to death and nothing ever was wrong. now it could be how it was taken care of but I take car of mine. I do all my own work. change oil around 5k miles.

Now what are your guys' input on this about your car? Yes I realize you'll see a lot more bad than good on the internet since people are always more inclined to tell the world about how crappy something is than if it never misses a beat. I need a car that's not going to leave me stranded 200+ miles from home so any help will be great

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

snofun3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS4

Re: Considering a +09 CTS...hows the reliability?

My '08 CTS4 was a complete POS and the worst car I ever owned as far as reliability and annoying problems. Always at the dealer. Always.

And that was on the good days. Some poor sap bought that thing. God what a POS.

Is that good enough?

jagi0966 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4, 3.6L DI, Luxury Collection
    Wife and I have an 08 cts4 w DI. Bought at 50k, now has 110k miles. No major issues, the usual brakes, tires, plugs at 100k. It has been a pleasure. Still recommend it to all.

Really a fun sedan. Wife drives it daily 100 miles. Get the premium-HID and nav and cooled seats and sunroof and keyless entry/start are wonderful and make you smile. Awd is also great.

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, new engine Nov '13 @ 44Kmi.

Hi 08yfz450,

If you feel lucky, then go ahead and buy a used '08 or '09 CTS. Those early years were plagued with hit-or-miss quality/reliability and, as you know, widely-varied ownership experiences. GM didn't get around to seriously addressing many known issues until 2010 or later model years. So if you want to shift the odds in your favor, go for a later model year.

Regarding your comment, "...now it could be how it was taken care of..." Yeah, that's what gratified lucky owners like to tell frustrated unlucky owners. But, believe me, my CTS was/is meticulously maintained by local Cadillac dealer and myself; and, still, it's spent more than 100 business days (about 5 months) out-of-service in the shop for warranty repairs.

Anyway, keep in mind:

2008-09MY ... old GM, cash-starved and failing
    July 2009 ..... bankruptcy exit, too late for 2009MY
    2010MY+ ..... new GM, new finances, new management

99flhr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

Quote Originally Posted by 08yfz450 View Post
    and like 20mpgs isn't what I'm looking for
    A CTS averages 19-21 for many owners, what kind of number do you want/need for that long commute ?

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

I would avoid AWD as the mpg more often than not sucks, like 99flhr mentioned. My 2010 with 3.6 DI and rwd is fine on mpg for me at about 25 mpg on highway, 87 octane.

The only problem I have had is my transmission took a total dump at 50k. GM finally (after 3 inept tries) replaced it. I believe that was a "one off" problem, not something I have read about here on our forum. Therefore I wouldn't worry about the trans, even if it is French made.

Yeah, the standard stuff like coil packs and plugs, maybe a leaking sunroof or 88 of them (lots of reports on the drains clogging). No real major problems that don't happen to any other marque.

Quote Originally Posted by 99flhr View Post
    A CTS averages 19-21 for many owners, what kind of number do you want/need for that long commute ?
    I planned on going for a rwd one and hoping to get at least 24-25 hwy which is what my wrx gets now and I dont get too upset over it. My drives are usually 95% hwy and when its nice on the weekends in the non winter seasons, the other car or bike comes out for around town.

I definitely planned on steering clear of an 08. Wasn't too sure on the 09s. Id like to get one around or under 40k miles and of she lasts till 150k+ or if I decide to get something different that would make me happy. Or if anyone has any other car thoughts that would be a good choice for me that would be great. I'm just getting a little older (definitely not old but getting away from the crazy looks and the it Doesnt matter how it rides cars) because ive finally realized that all I do is sit on the highway for hours every week, might as well be comfy. I will miss my, go absolutely anywhere subie awd and winter tire combo but really there's not too many days I absolutely need it and if its that bad, I'll take my quad hauler jeep.

Thanks for your replies so far and any more help would be appreciated

Actually, you are probably better off getting a 2010 or newer. Bugs were finally worked out. I know you read 928s post above, too, so that's why I made my comments - to confirm his. Seems to be tried and true from other posts/comments on the forum.

blankster is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Premium AWD 3.6 DI (Sold)

Go with a 2010 or newer. My 2010 AWD 3.6 has been pretty good at 30K miles and I get 26-28 on the highway. At least the CTS will run on regular fuel unlike the WRX.

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    Actually, you are probably better off getting a 2010 or newer. Bugs were finally worked out. I know you read 928s post above, too, so that's why I made my comments - to confirm his. Seems to be tried and true from other posts/comments on the forum.
    Hmmm might have to stick to 10s then. I originally only looked for 10+ but figured the 09 was the same and cheaper but I dont want problems. Few grand to begin with is not a lot to pay for not being stranded or major repairs. If my wrx wasn't broken (bumper/fender hit a deer and just haven't had time to fix it yet) I'd go look at a 12 CTS w/ 40k miles. Luxury. For like $20k but its 4.5 hours away and I dont have time to look at cars I can't get yet.

blankster is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Premium AWD 3.6 DI (Sold)

You will se a big swing in prices for a "standard" CTS and a Premium version.

Sir Nuke is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Coupe, 08 STS

well seeing as you are certainly looking at one that has the 3.6 DI engine.....stay away from the 3.0. I just traded in my '08, but it was an STS.....it had 94000 miles on it....the ONLY time it every went into the dealer since the day I bought it was for an oil change. I love the car....never had a single issue. when I would get out on the open road and set the cruise control.....usually at 70 to 80 mph......I would still average 28 mpg.

99flhr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    I would avoid AWD as the mpg more often than not sucks, like 99flhr mentioned. My 2010 with 3.6 DI and rwd is fine on mpg for me at about 25 mpg on highway, 87 octane.
    Just to be clear, "sucks" is your term. LOL
    I think an AVERAGE of 20 is just fine, my AWD also returns 25 highway, not great, not bad. OH is not quite as flat as FL...
    Actually pretty close to the numbers posted by a 6 cylinder Subaru Legacy EPA 18/20/25

Yeah, when I get in a hurry I don't always think when I post. I was only trying to give you credit for the original thought, and not the actual wording of your thought.

Quote Originally Posted by blankster View Post
    Go with a 2010 or newer. My 2010 AWD 3.6 has been pretty good at 30K miles and I get 26-28 on the highway. At least the CTS will run on regular fuel unlike the WRX.
    I just run 89 in her and thats what the company recommends. 89 is usually like what, 10 maybe 20¢ more than 87. For Evert 10gallons thats only $1-2 more, I'm not worried about running higher octane. Hell my other car and bike use 93 and my race quad I run +98.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
    well seeing as you are certainly looking at one that has the 3.6 DI engine.....stay away from the 3.0. I just traded in my '08, but it was an STS.....it had 94000 miles on it....the ONLY time it every went into the dealer since the day I bought it was for an oil change. I love the car....never had a single issue. when I would get out on the open road and set the cruise control.....usually at 70 to 80 mph......I would still average 28 mpg.
    I'm not really set on what I want yet, just checking to see what's out there while bored at work. Only thing I know is I want black interior, rwd ( for mpgs), and heated/cooled seats

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.