Fix for rattle in rear shelf area 2009 CTS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By jabrun
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Fix for rattle in rear shelf area 2009 CTS in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; cts rear shelf rattle 002 (1024x768).jpg cts rear shelf rattle 007 (1024x768).jpg cts rear shelf rattle 013 (1024x768).jpg cts rear ...
    jabrun is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

Fix for rattle in rear shelf area 2009 CTS

cts rear shelf rattle 002 (1024x768).jpgcts rear shelf rattle 007 (1024x768).jpgcts rear shelf rattle 013 (1024x768).jpgcts rear shelf rattle 014 (1024x768).jpgI bought a 2009 CTS sedan a couple months ago with around 25k miles. A nice, well cared for car with a really annoying thumping, tapping sound in the rear cabin when you hit a bump. I did some research and this seems to be fairly common. Here's how I fixed it. I checked the rear shock absorber bushings and ruled out any problem there but this has been an issue on some cars. This will require removing the back seat, C pillar covers and the rear shelf beneath the window. First you take out the lower part of the back seat by pushing back and lifting up on each side to release it. When you get it out you will see 4 nuts at the bottom of the seat back that take a 15mm socket to remove (see image above). Take those 4 nuts out and open the trunk and you will find 4 10mm nuts that hold the top of the seat (image above)cts rear shelf rattle 009 (1024x768).jpg. The two next to the emergency trunk release can stay in. When you get the 10mm nuts out you can pull the seatbelts out of the holders and take the upright part of the back seat out. Next take the little plugs that say "air bag" out of the C-pillar covers. They just pry out and underneath is a hex head screw that takes a 7/32 socket which need to be removed on each side. Along the leading edge of the pillar covers there is some rubber trim where it meets the door opening. The pillar cover needs to be carefully pried out from under that rubber trim. After that you can pull the covers out far enough to see two locks that hold them in place. You can carefully pry these apart with a medium size flat screwdriver and pull the pillar covers out of the way. Now the rear shelf is ready to come out. On the front where it bends down behind the seat are two door panel type retainers that need to be pulled out. When the plastic retainers are out you can lift up on the shelf and wiggle it and gently pull until it comes free. When it comes out you can turn it upside down and let it hang by the seat belts. Now you will see the problem which is the two outside plastic pegs ahead of the speaker on the bottom of the rear shelf (first image). There are two rubber cushions with adhesive that the pegs rest on. On my car they had shifted out from under the pegs and let the plastic contact together when you hit a bump. I took two rubber vacuum caps about 7/16 diameter and slipped them over the pegs under the rear shelf and slide the rubber cushions back where they belong. Just for good measure I put a couple pieces of high density foam under the rear shelf but this step is optional. Now re-assemble in the opposite order but drill two holes holes in the front of the shelf and through the metal behind the seat. Then put two self tapping screws in the holes because the plastic retainer plugs let the move up and down too much which adds to the problem. I have more images and can add them and explain more if anyone has questions.
    bluefleetwood and 99flhr like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

99flhr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS

Re: Fix for rattle in rear shelf area 2009 CTS

Excellent write up.
    Thank you.

sdobert is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-4
    Awesome write up!! I have this same problem on my 09 which has been driving me crazy for the last 3 months!

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Nicely done.

jabrun is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

Thanks for the kind words, it's so embarrassing to have noises like that in a nice luxury car. A person with average mechanical skills should probably allow about two hours to get this done. I have some images of the two hollow pegs with the vacuum caps installed and the brackets that the pegs rest on but it says I exceed my attachment quota. I had to ride in the back seat with my wife driving on a rough road to figure out where the noise was coming from. As soon as I laid my arm on the rear shelf it quieted down. You will be able to tell if this is the problem with yours just by thumping on the center of the package shelf with your hand and that's also how you will know that it's fixed after you put the shelf back in.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.