If you have a DI engine and don't think you need a Catch Can - LOOK AT THIS - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree5Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, If you have a DI engine and don't think you need a Catch Can - LOOK AT THIS in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Going back to the original theme: 'look at this'; well, if you didn't have a catch can, and depending on ...
    C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Re: If you have a DI engine and don't think you need a Catch Can - LOOK AT THIS

Going back to the original theme: 'look at this'; well, if you didn't have a catch can, and depending on your driving cycle (short trips, long trips), 99 plus percent of that fluid caught (plus or minus) would harmlessly be burnt (through combustion) through the PCV system. It doesn't stay in your oil crankcase contaminating your oil, and yes some of that oil (vapor) might aggregate to the intake valves (and that's where the "bone of contention" lies, whether in your determination you think you need a catch can or not (I'm in the camp of not).
    99flhr likes this.

xCCTer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6DI FE2 G80 MYB Crystal Red Premium Luxury

Direct fuel injection defined.

Direct fuel injection is a fuel-delivery technology that allows gasoline engines to burn fuel more efficiently, resulting in more power, cleaner emissions, and increased fuel economy.

How direct fuel injection works.

Gasoline engines work by sucking a mixture of gasoline and air into a cylinder, compressing it with a piston, and igniting it with a spark; the resulting explosion drives the piston downwards, producing power. Traditional (indirect) fuel injection systems pre-mix the gasoline and air in a chamber just outside the cylinder called the intake manifold. In a direct-injection system, the air and gasoline are not pre-mixed; air comes in via the intake manifold, while the gasoline is injected directly into the cylinder.
    Attached Images

I don't have a dog in this fight. I am just a little anal about my toys and have been doing all my major/minor repairs since 1976.

Without top tier fuels and their cleaning agents bathing the intake valve stems, DI engines are going to build up carbon on them. If the intake valves were open at all while the injectors were pressurized, the fuel would be shooting up into the intake plenum as the path of least resistance.

The biggest concern with direct-injection technology is with carbon buildup. In a direct injection engine, oil droplets tend to get ‘baked’ on the valve. Carbon buildup can create a lot of headaches in the long-term, with build-up being bad enough to make extra noise during operation and damage the engine. At the very least it can reduce fuel mileage, and affect performance.

This issue can affect other components in your car’s engine, like turbochargers or catalytic converters. Some automakers have filtering systems in place to catch droplets and debris.
    Attached Images

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

I think the point is, there hasn't been an over whelming number of reports by forum members, citing the need for valve jobs. If it was epidemic I'm sure we would have seen a ton of posts about it.

There are many mentions of carbon removal, and this is why. Just getting it out there to you all after some real world experience.
    Mark

calif phil is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

I like your Vette's and your Harley Roadster. My '73 is also orange.
    xCCTer likes this.

Cougar281 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Silverado Duramax, 95 Cougar, 2010 CTS4 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by hauler View Post
    I will guess that the Catch22 (pun intended) is that it will void the drivetrain warranty.
    I would assume that would depend on your dealer and service writers. I spoke to mine and they didn't see that as a problem at all. The service writer I deal with is a nice guy and knows a lot about these engines and understands how the valves get coked with oil. Once the weather warms up, I'll be getting and installing a can and cleaning the top of the engine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.