Multiple Cylinder Misfires
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Multiple Cylinder Misfires in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; About a month ago car started skipping under heavy throttle and I got a blinking CEL. Checked the codes with ...
    Hammerhead100 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS Performance Sedan

Multiple Cylinder Misfires

About a month ago car started skipping under heavy throttle and I got a blinking CEL. Checked the codes with my OBD reader and had random misfire on cyl 3.
    Took it to the dealership and they replace #3 coil pack and sparkplug under warranty. Seemed to run smooth again, but not perfect.

Yesterday I got a solid CEL and car was running very rough under heavy throttle. Random misfires on cyl 1 & cyl 5 and another code that said multiple cyl misfires. Back to the dealership for scheduled oil change and tire rotation. They were also going to check the CEL. They said the CEL was stored (old) and all they could do
    was clear the CEL. They test drove it and said all is fine and to bring it back if the CEL came back on. I told them that clearing a CEL couldn't fix the skipping (duh). Sure enough on the first full throttle leaving there it's coughing and skipping with a blinking CEL. So they kept it and will hopefully replace #1 & #5 coil packs/plugs.They also gave me a new SRX for the weekend.

So does this sound normal for multiple coil packs to go out within a month of each other? Is there something possibly causing this? Thoughts?
    It has been unusually cold here the last 2 months but I can't see where that should matter.

2009 3.6 DI Sport Sedan
    53,000 miles
    full synthetic every 5,000 miles

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Re: Multiple Cylinder Misfires

See this thread several above yours. 2012 CTS - check engine light on AGAIN

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Man, there must be something in the air...

LightningFast67 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Mine was doing the same. Stutter/miss with low rpm acceleration. CEL called out multiple cylinder misfire and cylinder 5 specifically. Dealer replaced coil pack #5 and I replaced all spark plugs. Runs better than ever. Mine is a 2009 CTS 3.6DI with 58k miles.

Merge is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ★ 2009 CTS⁴ Black Raven|Ebony ★

Mine did the same thing; changed all plugs to NGK Laser Series and all good now.

Hammerhead100 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS Performance Sedan

This time it only threw a code for cyl 1 so they replaced #1 coil pack and spark plug. Now I am suspicious of cyl 5 but they could not replace it under extended warranty. I have a $100 deductible so that's $200 spent so far. The service writer is going to waive any deductible on the remaining coils that fail during warranty period. Woot Woot! Car is running strong again. I have always been skeptical about changing plugs every 100,000 miles and may just go ahead and change the remaining 4 now.

Why are you skeptical of changing out plugs at 100k?

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

I can only suggest that if you decide that you want to replace the remaining 4 plugs, that you use the same brand and part number as the dealer used or replace all six. I'd be suspicious on mixed plug types and the results you might get.

Quote Originally Posted by C "T" ess View Post
    I can only suggest that if you decide that you want to replace the remaining 4 plugs, that you use the same brand and part number as the dealer used or replace all six. I'd be suspicious on mixed plug types and the results you might get.
    Good point.

exm22psu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD Premium

I have mixed plugs and don't notice any problems ... but mine are Denso and AC Delco ... most likely the same plug

99flhr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    Why are you skeptical of changing out plugs at 100k?
    JMO but plugs today can easily go 75-100K w/o issue, however, removing them from an aluminum cylinder head at high mileage can sometimes be problematic. ( galled threads) This can have expensive consequences, therefore removing (or replacing) and applying nickel Neverseize to the threads ( regardless of mileage) is never a bad idea.

Should you be faced with the prospect of removing high mileage original plugs, the following may help minimize the risk ( stolen from the V-8 SOHC modular Ford boys with highly breakable TWO PIECE plugs) Start engine, run until warm ( not hot) remove plug boots and use compressed air to remove any debris in plug tube/well. Turn plugs 1/4 turn CCW.( less if they start to audibly protest) Spray a small amount of penetrating oil ( "Kroil is my preferred brand YMMV) into the plug tube/ well at base of threads and allow to seep overnight. Remove plugs the next morning.

20 cents of penetrating oil and a bit of your time beats even the remote possibility of pulling/repairing a head anytime. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by 99flhr View Post
    JMO but plugs today can easily go 75-100K w/o issue, however, removing them from an aluminum cylinder head at high mileage can sometimes be problematic. ( galled threads) This can have expensive consequences, therefore removing (or replacing) and applying nickel Neverseize to the threads ( regardless of mileage) is never a bad idea.

Should you be faced with the prospect of removing high mileage original plugs, the following may help minimize the risk ( stolen from the V-8 SOHC modular Ford boys with highly breakable TWO PIECE plugs) Start engine, run until warm ( not hot) remove plug boots and use compressed air to remove any debris in plug tube/well. Turn plugs 1/4 turn CCW.( less if they start to audibly protest) Spray a small amount of penetrating oil ( "Kroil is my preferred brand YMMV) into the plug tube/ well at base of threads and allow to seep overnight. Remove plugs the next morning.

20 cents of penetrating oil and a bit of your time beats even the remote possibility of pulling/repairing a head anytime. JMO
    Good advice. I highlighted an important factor that few people think of. glad you mentioned it, 99flhr

Kraminator75 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS-4 AWD 3.6L DI

I had the very same thing happen, multiple misfires and the blinking engine light that eventually went solid...All I did was swap out plugs for new stock(AC Delco)and problem went away...Drives perfect...I have almost 80k and no other engine issues...Seems odd to me that coils would be going out...As far as I know, mine are all original...But reading through the forums, a lot of guys are replacing coils willy nilly, when in fact, it might just be worn plugs...Or maybe I was just lucky,
    99flhr likes this.

jgrobert is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS4 3.6 DI

I just Purchased an 09 Cadillac CTS4 3.6 DI with the Performance Package last Wednesday, Love the car! The first time I laided into it the CEL began flashing, a couple of days later it went steady. Onstar pulled the codes indicating a cylinder misfire. Most likely looking at sparkplugs and possibly a coil pack. I took it back to the Dealer under warranty last night for Diagnostics. I already miss my Caddy and am forced to drive a Chevy Malibu for the day. I hope to get my car back today.

willn513 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS DI
    Quote Originally Posted by jgrobert View Post
    I just Purchased an 09 Cadillac CTS4 3.6 DI with the Performance Package last Wednesday, Love the car! The first time I laided into it the CEL began flashing, a couple of days later it went steady. Onstar pulled the codes indicating a cylinder misfire. Most likely looking at sparkplugs and possibly a coil pack. I took it back to the Dealer under warranty last night for Diagnostics. I already miss my Caddy and am forced to drive a Chevy Malibu for the day. I hope to get my car back today.
    I'm going to guess you are right at 100,000 miles? Mine did the same thing and killed one of the catalytic converters in the process. The misfire allows unburnt fuel to get to the cats and that is not good for them. Keep an eye on it, they aren't terribly expensive, but the labor is crazy high.

The good news is that after new plugs it runs like a champ again.

Sent from my iPhone

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.