2013 CTS sedan Luxury Water damge electrial and parts questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By hauler
  • 1 Post By Tbbt
  • 1 Post By CTSCHICK
  • 1 Post By 2manyhotrods
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2013 CTS sedan Luxury Water damge electrial and parts questions in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I purchased a 2013 CTS 4door sedan luxury from the insurance auction. I knew it was flooded and therefore issued ...
    cmb7684 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS Sedan Luxury

2013 CTS sedan Luxury Water damge electrial and parts questions

I purchased a 2013 CTS 4door sedan luxury from the insurance auction. I knew it was flooded and therefore issued a salvage title. I t was listed as runs and drives by the auction which is usually accurate in their description. It was listed as runs and drives with jump start which the auction verifies.

This is my first time owning a Cadillac so I might be getting caught up between features in the car and actual water damage that I want to ask about.

The car was brand new and in the pictures has 3 miles on the odometer so I know when the car was put up for auction the odometer was working.

The car I suspect had water about even with the transmission shifter and even though it drained out was allowed to sit and draw condensation in the car for a few days.

The interior was repaired where the seat foam and carpet was replaced by the reseller but the electronics were not.

The auto transporter arrived before I got to unload it and said it is out of gas bc he said he jumped it an started it but it started sputtering so he shut it down. The car only came with two regular keys and the remote keys were not with it. The gas gauge shows empty. So I put 4 gallons of mid grade new fuel in it with sea foam and heet water removal treatment just in case.

The current problems I have noticed ... None of the power seats work nor the windows, power locks or trunk release button. So I question if there is a common module or fuse that runs this that I can start looking at or switch. I also read that there maybe a switch that has to be flipped when the valet key is being used that locks out the trunk so maybe that is playing a part also? My other problem is I cannot open the trunk. I read the battery is back there along with another fuse panel in addition to the one under the hood. While not completely out of the question it just seems odd that I would get nothing on any one of the switches for the trunk, locks, windows or hood release. I did not want to try the sun roof itself to avoid more water intrusion but the interior headliner for the roof retracts when the button is pushed if that means anything?

Now to the buttons on the center console by the radio etc. Some of them do not work. When you press them in they stick in and will not allow you to turn them off. The hazard and running lights are on drawing down the battery. I would like to replace the battery to do some trouble shooting but cant get to it if it is in the trunk? How can I get the trunk to open if the inside button doesn't work and I do not have a remote? I tried to reach what appears to be a lever in case you lock yourself in the trunk but I cannot reach it from the small opening in the rear seat.

I am not sure if it is because of the dead battery but I am getting errors that say start aborted by theft deterrent.

So in summary I need to find a way to kill the running lights which I think I have done but cannot figure out a way to kill the hazard flashers because the hazard button is stuck in the on position.

1. How can I leave the battery connected but kill the Hazard flashers?

2. How can I leave the battery connected but kill the front and head and tail light assembly all together by pulling relays or fuses?

3. Is there a normal feature on the car such as a valet switch that can interfere with the trunk release, power windows or locks or seats and if so does anyone have a picture of its location? I looked in the center console and didn't see it?

4. Is there a theft deterrent option I need to reset to allow fuel to pump to the car. Like I said the car lists as a run and drive but I put 4 gallons on new fuel in an empty tank and the car spins when jumped as if it isn't getting fuel?

5. On interior parts such as seat and the panel that the radio and AC buttons are located. Is 2013 different than other years or is there years that will interchange for the console buttons and seats. From What I read it appears only 2012 and 2013 interchange but I may be wrong.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

billeee is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS 2012 CTS

Re: 2013 CTS sedan Luxury Water damge electrial and parts questions

On my 2012 Luxury the trunk release is a plastic handle mounted just above the pass-thru door. You can't see it from the passenger compartment. Place your hand on the top of the opening and feel above the opening inside the trunk. It's a plastic "T" handle attached to a cable. If you can't feel it try a small mirror and flashlight.

Do you know if it got flooded with salt water or fresh water?

I am quite sure it was brackish or salt water.

ok so I sorted out some of the issues. Most of the electrical issues was because of a shorted out battery. I assume it was dead for so long it was not only bad but had a short. I bought a new battery and put it in and a lit of the electrical problems were resolved. On to the stuck button issue. I bought some cleaner/lubricant made for electrical parts and boards and sprayed it in the buttons. After working them a little I got all of them to work. While I still plan to change the assembly, it was good because I do not have to worry that other issues are there as I can test them now and as soon as I got the button unstuck from the on position it worked out. SO I no longer need to worry about what kills the headlights, tail lights or turn signals because as soon as I put in the new battery and released the flasher button I no longer had a drain on the battery. All turned off as it should.

Issues I am working on now:

1. Still trying to get the key out of the ignition.

2. The car turns over but does not fire up. Every now and then it seems to try but it doesn't go. Again because it was advertised as a run and drive vehicle and the guy who unloaded said he started it and it sputtered and quit I am going to guess I have some water in the fuel. Does anyone know an easy spot to disconnect the fuel line in the engine compartment so I can disconnect and pump the gas out there?

3. I called onstar from the car and they gave me a year service free so all of that is working ok. I still cannot get any power to the power windows, power locks or seat climate controls or power seats. This is the same for all four doors. There appears to be a light on the switches that should light up and no power is going to them at all. I am thinking the motors may all be ok. Is there a common fuse, relay or module that feeds all items and where is it located? Also how much of this would be impacted if in fact it is a valet switch? I still have yet to find a valet switch?

4. I did not hear the fan come on for the air/heat. This may or may not be an issue as I haven't really tried it yet.

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

I think you made a BIG mistake!

Good Luck!

calif phil is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe
    If he got the car cheap enough I bet he can come out ok.

hauler is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Sportwagon 18.2city 28hwy 25hwy AC on

The owners manual has the fuse panel diagrams that also show the control module locations on the panels. If you don't have the manual, you will need to download the PDF version.

If you're going to DIY, I suspect you will either need a friend at a dealership who will access repair information, or you need to resign yourself to spending money on suspect control modules as a shot in the dark.

Considering the possibility that the fuel may be bad, IMO stop trying to start the car. You are pumping bad fuel into the filters and injectors. If the tank contains an electric pump, the tank assembly should be removed and cleaned when contamination is present.
    99flhr likes this.

Truth be told I can buy another CTS with a beat up exterior that has a good interior and interior electronics and come out well under 20k when it is all over.

I do have the manual it was dry and in the trunk along with the floor met set ...I have to thank the poster who told me where the emergency trunk release was at. It was right there and worked like a champ.

----------

I will actually be right at 15K when all is said and done not including the taxes on the car and that is buying another car as a parts car to take the interior.

hauler is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Sportwagon 18.2city 28hwy 25hwy AC on

You should also take out the parts car tank, filters, and fuel lines.

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

I really do wish you luck! Your major problem is going to be all the electronics these cars have that have been wet. Without a way to properly test the connections and controllers (many are ID'd to your VIN) you will be doing a whole bunch of throwing money at guesses. As hauler said, if you don't already have an 'in' at a dealership, do it NOW!

When you get all the issues fixed, you will still have a car that is almost unsalable in the end.

Best of Luck, Marv
    99flhr likes this.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Brackish/Salt water everything electrical that touched water or suffered from condensation will have to be replaced.

Our 02 Z28 went under during hurricane Sandy my b.f. ex Gm tech for almost 12 yrs with all of the GM diagnostic toys and specialized Kent Moore diagnostic boxes for GM's gutted the entire car out including the dash and replaced the entire body, chassis and transmission harness, BCM, Hvac blower, Airbag SDM module, ect,ect.

The car was thoroughly rinsed off and gutted out as soon as the water level dropped even then corrosion set in pretty quickly once you got a look at stuff after taking it a part.

Water up to the transmission shifter on your CTS underneath the center console the air bag SDM module that controls the air bag system is there and bunch of other stuff got wet a long with the lower part of the dash and electrical.
    99flhr likes this.

2manyhotrods is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Eldorado ETC coupe.
    I've been through 3 ocean water flood damaged cars in my 50 years in the new and used automobile business.
    I spent and spent on those cars thinking I could save them.
    Ocean salt water is devastating. The electronics on highly technical vehicles like that Cadillac will never be right.
    As condensation sets in and salt eats its way through that car it will drive you mad and destroy your wallet.
    You should part that dog out or dump it as fast as you can find a buyer
    You don't realize how deep over you head you are, do you?
    99flhr likes this.

wcthunder is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Coupe 3.6 RWD Perfomance Pkg, TriCoat White Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by 2manyhotrods View Post
    I've been through 3 ocean water flood damaged cars in my 50 years in the new and used automobile business.
    I spent and spent on those cars thinking I could save them.
    Ocean salt water is devastating. The electronics on highly technical vehicles like that Cadillac will never be right.
    As condensation sets in and salt eats its way through that car it will drive you mad and destroy your wallet.
    You should part that dog out or dump it as fast as you can find a buyer
    You don't realize how deep over you head you are, do you?
    You missed the part where he said "I purchased...". 2manyhotrods...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.