Brand of Gas matter for our Cadillacs? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Brand of Gas matter for our Cadillacs? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Thank you C&C for that link....But this info begs for an an explanation as to what this soot is?? If ...
    Joe
    Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS blk/blk

Re: Brand of Gas matter for our Cadillacs?

Thank you C&C for that link....But this info begs for an an explanation as to what this soot is?? If they on one hand are saying we have improved fuel efficiency but may need additional exhaust filters to remove the soot before entering our lungs then what is this soot made up of?? sorry but I dont get it! and for the highjack.

Joe

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The soot is carbon. As posted, a byproduct of burning gasoline.

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, new engine Nov '13 @ 44Kmi.

Brand of gas matter? I vote yes, because it's possible for each and every brand to contain a unique blend of additives.

Gasoline leaving U.S. refineries mostly via pipeline is an unbranded, fungible commodity. So gasoline bought locally comes from any one or combination of refineries connected to the pipeline. Since there's no pipeline to local gas stations, gasoline is delivered via pipeline to regional wholesale bulk distribution centers. There additives are blended according to brand formula and the branded product is transferred to tanker truck for delivery to retail outlets (or, if you live near a refinery, gasoline can be branded there and loaded directly onto tanker trucks).

For the few extra pennies per gallon in my highly-competitive local market, I buy Top Tier's claim that more additives is better than less additives (not to mention that trademark-owner GM founded, tested, and recommends Top Tier gasoline); and, for me, it's Shell 87-octane.
    bluefleetwood likes this.

azianbob is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Black/Black 2013 CTS Sedan 3.0L Luxury RWD

No worries about any "high jacking" while the main question was about gas brands the underlying issue is around the mechanical problems potentially caused to the vehicle by different gas. All input is appreciated.

But if the gas is really all the same and only the additives are the difference instead of paying 20 more cents per gallon why not just use the cheaper gas and spend $10 a year and dump in a bottle of techron? Unless there is a clear benefit to having those incremental amounts of detergent each fill up.

Techron is a component of top tier fuels. As posted earlier in the thread, the cheap corner station may have the same amount of detergents as the brand name stations. So it isn't necessarily more expensive to buy "better" fuel.

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, new engine Nov '13 @ 44Kmi.

Quote Originally Posted by azianbob View Post
    But if the gas is really all the same and only the additives are the difference instead of paying 20 more cents per gallon why not just use the cheaper gas and spend $10 a year and dump in a bottle of techron? Unless there is a clear benefit to having those incremental amounts of detergent each fill up.
    I'll simply note that Top Tier's minimum detergent additives are claimed to be 2.5x greater than required by EPA. Some brands exceed Top Tier minimum, some lesser brands meet only EPA minimum.

It's arguably better to prevent carbon buildup (Top Tier gasoline, everyday) than to dissolve it after the fact (Techron additive, periodic).

Joe
    Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS blk/blk

Soot! hmmm...I'm beginning to wonder. My oil burner leaves soot and diesel engines leave soot. Lets see...a diesel has high compression and is injected and uses a heavier fuel. So can we suggest that our DI is a diesel without the knock!

Also the 87 octane (cheap) that I burn leaves soot. So maybe if I were to burn 89 octane I would have less soot regardless where I bought it. I t seems to me we have a octane problem causing the soot not a Tier problem. A higher octane would burn hotter and cleaner, right or wrong? Just thinkin

Octane has nothing to do with it, does NOT burn hotter or cleaner. Higher octane is more resistant to igniting under the gear of compression, that's all.

BlueAngel#07 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS PERFORMANCE / 2007 DTS - GONE
    It will remain a matter of opinion as many people get many actual results, and adverse driving conditions as well as fuel air mixture are set differently, naturally aspirated and ECM set ups as well, use what your car likes it will let you know by the way it performs, apples and oranges.

If your car says use premium you should or don't cry when your engine fowls.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

I would suggest that if you have concerns, try different fuels for 3 months at a time, for example. Be your own beta tester. Keep notes and mpg info.

wcthunder is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Coupe 3.6 RWD Perfomance Pkg, TriCoat White Diamond

It seems 89 works for me and with the combo of Royal Purple Full-Synthetic oil to clean up the "knocking". i find this link interesting: http://blog.truecar.com/2011/03/03/p...s-regular-gas/

I think the octane is fine, I don't have any knocking or anything. My concern was if the cheaper gas would cause any problems for the fuel system and engine. I don't think a 3 month test would be useful in that aspect (unless the cheap gas is really bad).

As for MPG, that is a good point, will check it out and see if there is a noticeable difference. I've been getting 23 MPG combined so far on top tier gas (I do about 60-70% HWY driving) ... will see if it drops.

Speaking of fuels, has anyone tried real gasoline, without ethanol, to see how our cars operate?

Only non ethanol gas that I am aware of in southern California is VP Racing in San Diego, and only their 100 octane fuel. Needless to say I have not tried it ... and probably won't unless I buy a CTS-V one day.

We have mid grade non ethanol available.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.