which brand of Tire HELP
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By The_Judge
  • 1 Post By The_Judge
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, which brand of Tire HELP in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hi every one I just bought a 2008 CTS and it comes with the 18" wheel but I need to ...
    sombra269 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 cadillac cts premium

which brand of Tire HELP

Hi every one I just bought a 2008 CTS and it comes with the 18" wheel but I need to buy new ones since im going to Germany and not sure what brand is the best, I would like to get all season tires that way I don't have to worry about buying another set but any input would be appreciated my tire size is P235/50R18. thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

Re: which brand of Tire HELP

I put a set of Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3s on my 2011 CTS, all-season tires, replacing the summer Continentals that came with it as original equipment. I've VERY happy with them -- performance, stability, ride all excellent. Mine are P245/45ZR19 98Y, but I'm confident the 18" version would perform as well.

http://www.michelinman.com/team-mich.../0/0/0/1/tires
    bluefleetwood likes this.

Joe
    Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS blk/blk

Michelin tires are the best on this car. MHO

99flhr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

There is no "best", as all tires invoke a compromise based on geography and personal preference.
    Traction vs noise
    Traction vs mileage
    Cost vs mileage
    Availability in Germany (when you need a matching replacement)
    Performance vs mileage
    Etc, blah yadda.
    JMO

DMill is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 1SB - Crystal Red w/Light Titanium

Regarding the Michelin AS/3's ...

Regarding the Michelin AS/3's, click HERE to read my experience. No complaints on how they performed ... As you'll see, my main complaint being that they "hum" horribly! Yes, they were not installed on a CTS, but on my daily driver Z3 Mcoupe (hatchback). I have never had a tire as noisy as these AS/3 Michelins, other than some R888 Toyo track tires. I've already had a Michelin rep ride with me and he completely agreed and is taking them in return for exchange. One thing I am happy about is the fair treatment by Michelin.
    Thought you should know.

Re: Regarding the Michelin AS/3's ...

My AS/3s are very quiet at all speeds, quieter than my old Continentals on the same car. I keep them inflated to a minimum of 35 psi and pump them all up to 37 psi when one of them gets that low (pressure measured cold).
    bluefleetwood likes this.

DMill is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 1SB - Crystal Red w/Light Titanium

Quote Originally Posted by The_Judge View Post
    My AS/3s are very quiet at all speeds, quieter than my old Continentals on the same car. I keep them inflated to a minimum of 35 psi and pump them all up to 37 psi when one of them gets that low (pressure measured cold).
    Good to hear ... Wish I was as lucky, because I really liked the way they performed, especially here in the "wet" NW. Wonder why your's are quiet, yet MoFex mentioned THIS in his reply. Strange (?).

Joe
    Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS blk/blk

I ran Bridgestone Turanza tires on my AWD for the past 75k miles. I had plenty of tread left but I could no longer stand the noise. The tires were awesome in snow and rain and they were good looking. I recently installed the Michelin MXV4's. Initially I was concerned they would not perform as well in snow and rain but they easily measured up to the Bridgestone's. I have a long commute in N.E weather and this was a huge concern. I also drive fast and traction is paramount. What I love most about these tires is that they are far quieter than the Bridgestones. I probably wont get 75k plus miles but I don't care; I go only two winters on tires then I change them regardless. Good tires are cheap insurance and once again I believe Micheline tires are the best for the CTS. Your money your choice. MHO

Could be numerous factors, I suppose, including size of the tires, inflation, etc. Or perhaps some people are more sensitive to a particular harmonic developed by the tire.

I've driven high-end performance cars since the early 1970s, so perhaps my standards are a bit different from those of other drivers, especially folks who are looking for a "living room sofa" ride and want to be totally isolated from the road -- that's definitely not me.

If you go to the Michelin site (I provided the link above ) and read the 103 generally glowing customer reviews and three very positive professional reviews from Motor Trend, Popular Mechanics, and Consumer Reports, you'll find only a few comments about the tires being noisy, and some that say the AX/3s are significantly quieter than their previous tires. That doesn't mean they're super quiet, of course, but it does suggest them the vast majority of users don't find noise to be a significant problem with the AS/3s. UMMV.

TheShadow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS Black Raven/Ebony 3.6DI FE2 6-speed manual

I've got the 18" AS/3s for my 2008 - would recommend as well...

JackB is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS AWD DI

I replaced mine as well with Michelins Primacy MXV4s on 09 AWD. Original were Pilots. Wife said she was amazed at the nicer ride. The replaced Pilots had 60K and tread still looked almost new. I had no complaints with the Pilots. My problem was an unrepairable puncture so I decided to make the purchase for all 4. I do have one question if anyone knows. Some folks tell me that as Michelins age the rubber gets much harder and ride noticeably harsh. That is how they get the long life. I have no way of proving or disproving that. Anyone else hear that?

fps_dean is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS 3.6 DI AWD

I replaced my Michelin Pilot HX MHM4s with Nokian WRG3s. I would not recommend driving those Michelins on any snow or ice or even slightly damp roads as I've had problems on all three.

With the Nokians, I have no problem stopping my car at the bottom of the hill during a snowstorm with 5 inches of snow on the road, where on the Michelins in under an inch of snow I slid right into the road and thankfully no one was coming. I did not find the Pilots all that great on dry roads either and they're loud. The Nokians aren't particularly quiet either but they're still much quieter. I don't think the other Michelin tires are as bad (the Pilot Sport A/S 3 for example is supposed to be good as The_Judge said) but I could not recommend Pilots.

I hear the Continental ExtremeContact DWS are also pretty good all around and perform decent in snow if you need a true all-season tire.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.