Oil Filter Stuck On
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Oil Filter Stuck On in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I just bought a 2011 CTS 3L AWD with 30,000 miles about a week ago. Everything is great with the ...
    chris.gogreen is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille Base

Oil Filter Stuck On

I just bought a 2011 CTS 3L AWD with 30,000 miles about a week ago. Everything is great with the car so far except the oil filter, I tried to remove the oil filter and it is stuck, very stuck. What should I do in this situation. Right now my plan is to take it to the dealer and let them deal with it, but I have to drive about 30 miles and if I can avoid that it would be great.

Typically I would use a torch to heat up the housing and hope it came loose. But I'm hesitant to attempt that with such a new car.

What can I do myself?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

calif phil is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Re: Oil Filter Stuck On

I would let the dealer do it. It might be the best $40 you ever spent if something goes wrong.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Quote Originally Posted by calif phil View Post
    I would let the dealer do it. It might be the best $40 you ever spent if something goes wrong.
    I completely agree. Whoever did it before is a moron. Remember, once you get it back from the dealer make sure you can open it up yourself. When reinstalling the oil filter cap, use a torque wrench and tighten to 25 Nm / 18.44 pound feet. Obviously, the previous moron torqued it to wheel nut specs (140 ft. lbs.).

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by chris.gogreen View Post
    I just bought a 2011 CTS 3L AWD with 30,000 miles about a week ago. Everything is great with the car so far except the oil filter, I tried to remove the oil filter and it is stuck, very stuck. What should I do in this situation. Right now my plan is to take it to the dealer and let them deal with it, but I have to drive about 30 miles and if I can avoid that it would be great.

Typically I would use a torch to heat up the housing and hope it came loose. But I'm hesitant to attempt that with such a new car.

What can I do myself?
    Hello chris.gogreen,

I am glad you are satisfied with your recent purchase of a 2011 CTS. I apologize you are experiencing a concern with your oil filter. If you would like my assistance while working with your dealer, please let me know. Send me a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage and dealer name and location.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Chris, be sure to use a 6point socket and nothing but a six point. Read the sticky on OilChange at top of forum page.

Douglas Rome is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-4 3.0 Base sedan 2nd owner bought used 22Kmi

I just had an oil change at my local Chevy store, I asked the tech if he ever had a problem
    with the oil filters in CTS? He said he has a special tool that wraps the whole canister and makes
    it pretty foolproof. I didn't see the tool, so I can't offer any more. thanks, douglas

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Rome View Post
    I just had an oil change at my local Chevy store, I asked the tech if he ever had a problem
    with the oil filters in CTS? He said he has a special tool that wraps the whole canister and makes
    it pretty foolproof. I didn't see the tool, so I can't offer any more. thanks, douglas
    He is probably referring to a strap-wrench.
    http://www.google.com/imgres?sa=X&es...0&tx=105&ty=99

Douglas Rome is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-4 3.0 Base sedan 2nd owner bought used 22Kmi

I don't think so, he would have said strap wrench. He made a motion with his hand, like you
    would do to cover a cylinder, like you'd put your fingers to pick up a jar, or open a jar.
    I was surprised there was such a tool because I had never seen one, but there are some
    unique tools out there. thanks, douglas

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D

Try cracking it loose when the engine is warm, then let cool a bit and finish oil change.

71MonteCarlo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

If filter is hard to loosen use two wrenches. One a 6 point and also a strap wrench.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by C&C View Post
    He is probably referring to a strap-wrench.
    http://www.google.com/imgres?sa=X&es...0&tx=105&ty=99
    He's probably talking about a cup wrench. They make them in different sizes. The oil filter simply fits inside the cup and has the correct points to grab the filter.http://www.ebay.com/itm/23Pc-Aluminu...cacef3&vxp=mtr

DMill is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 1SB - Crystal Red w/Light Titanium

Exclamation Another thread on this topic ...

You're not alone, by a long shot ... go HERE to read another thread on this topic. Check out the photo of what can happen ... and why it would be wise to have the dealer remove it for you.

The same experience happened to me the first time I changed my CTS oil and filter, a car I purchased used. I had purchased (which I suggest you purchase) the 24mm 6-point, 1/2" drive socket, but the filter cap still wouldn't budge using a my 1/2" drive ratchet. I almost used my breaker-bar, but decided otherwise and used my impact wrench. I gave it short, quick bursts ... and got lucky; it broke loose. From then on, I just snug it up gently ... lesson learned. FYI

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.