Suggestions Please and/or any feedback that could help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By RobF300
  • 1 Post By ROC OUT
  • 2 Post By bandrae
  • 1 Post By ROC OUT
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Suggestions Please and/or any feedback that could help in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Im planning to buy OEM polish wheels for Coupe, however they have some kind on stains, I don't even know ...
    rubenmer1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe Premium (RWD), 1999 Seville STS

Suggestions Please and/or any feedback that could help

Im planning to buy OEM polish wheels for Coupe, however they have some kind on stains, I don't even know what it is. Any suggestions? Can this be fix or repair? Anyone has anything like this happened?
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RobF300 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan HIS, 2012 CTS4 coupe- Her's

Re: Suggestions Please and/or any feedback that could help

that is the clear failing, nothing to fix except refinish
    tinman likes this.

rubenmer1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe Premium (RWD), 1999 Seville STS
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF300
    that is the clear failing, nothing to fix except refinish
    Thanks for your reply.

ROC OUT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS

When I bought my 2008 CTS sedan in March of this year, all four polished OEM wheels had been curbed/scratched/scraped by the previous owner. New OEM wheels from the Caddy dealer was around $600each as I recall. I ended up taking each wheel to a local Austin wheel shop that sent them off to have them refinished. They came back looking much better and almost perfect. At $150 for the refinishing for each wheel, this was much better for my pocketbook and definitely worth the money. How long the new finish will last is anyone's guess but I am satisfied with the end result. My suggestion is to have them refinished.
    bluefleetwood likes this.

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013

ROC OUT,

Help, please. Were your '08 OEM wheels 1.) machined aluminum, 2.) multi-coat painted aluminum, or 3.) high-polished aluminum?

Thanks.

If high-polished, then it's good news to me. Until now, I've always read, heard, thought that OEM high-polished wheels, if damaged deeper than clearcoat, either 1.) could not be refinished, or 2.) would cost more to refinish than to buy brand new OEM replacements.

bandrae is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Premium
    I had the same issue and it was present on all four rims. I thought they were mistreated somehow by the previous owner. When I was due for an oil change, I asked the service advisor if they could take a look at them and let me know what are my options. Cadillac determined the rims were defective and replaced them all under warranty.
    tinman and bluefleetwood like this.

bluefleetwood is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1964Fleetwood60Spcl,1976EldoradoConv,2009CTS4BlackCherryDI

Quote Originally Posted by 928S View Post
    ROC OUT,

Help, please. Were your '08 OEM wheels 1.) machined aluminum, 2.) multi-coat painted aluminum, or 3.) high-polished aluminum?

Thanks.

If high-polished, then it's good news to me. Until now, I've always read, heard, thought that OEM high-polished wheels, if damaged deeper than clearcoat, either 1.) could not be refinished, or 2.) would cost more to refinish than to buy brand new OEM replacements.
    The companies that refinish wheels are excellent! I've had lots of work done, one job better than the next.
    On one instance, a 1988 Bonneville SSE with black painted finish on most of the wheel and hi polish on the outer rim. One wheel was actually missing a 1 inch chunk at the bead as I drove to close to the curb. They not only repainted and re-polished but even repaired the missing chunk leaving me to believe they just replaced the wheel outright.
    Wheel work has usually cost me from $100 to $150 per wheel at most. I highly recommend it. Most companies are using the same techniques so it may be hard to find a bad guy out there.
    Some companies now make house {garage} calls.
    Hope this helps.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!!!!!!!!

Hi bluefleetwood,

Many others have reported/recommended refinishing "polished" wheels, only to learn on further investigation their OEM 2nd Gen CTS wheels were painted rather than high-polished, and their chosen shop or franchisee cannot/does not refinish polished wheels.

Forum member ROC OUT was online when I inquired, and later. He chose not to answer, so I can only assume that his wheels too are painted, not high-polished. I'm still skeptical, and, if wrong, await anyone with damaged OEM P63 high-polished aluminum wheels to confirm successful refinishing by a named shop or franchisee with contact information...thanks.

ROC OUT,

Thanks.

Mine are the OEM Cadillac 18" spoke-type wheels that are aluminum high-polished (I think) with the clearcoat finish. The definitely are not painted. Note, it didn't matter to the wheel refinisher that the aluminum spokes/wheel was damaged by scraping some aluminum away. The repair included aluminum welding the wheel to fill in any missing aluminum and then smoothing, polishing, and then re-clearcoating the wheel. I live in Austin and took the wheels to Hubcap Annie on North Lamar. The owner would send them off to a company in Schertz, Texas that did the work. The company would make pickups in and around Central Texas, pick up the wheels needing repair at the designated shops, repair them, and then bring the repaired wheels back to the locations. The cost was $150 but may not have included tax. It didn't seem to matter how much cosmetic damage there was to a wheel as the repair cost was always the same. Hope this is helpful!
    bluefleetwood likes this.

ROC OUT, that's good news indeed. With info you've provided, I'll try to find a local rep. All 4 of my high-polished wheels need refinish, 2 having severe deep curb rash.

Thanks again.

bluefleetwood is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1964Fleetwood60Spcl,1976EldoradoConv,2009CTS4BlackCherryDI

Hi bluefleetwood,

Many others have reported/recommended refinishing "polished" wheels, only to learn on further investigation their OEM 2nd Gen CTS wheels were painted rather than high-polished, and their chosen shop or franchisee cannot/does not refinish polished wheels.

Forum member ROC OUT was online when I inquired, and later. He chose not to answer, so I can only assume that his wheels too are painted, not high-polished. I'm still skeptical, and, if wrong, await anyone with damaged OEM P63 high-polished aluminum wheels to confirm successful refinishing by a named shop or franchisee with contact information...thanks.
    My wheels are also P63 {I'm assuming so because its on the ID Tag} and 3 of them were damaged by my local tire dealership. At their expense, they had the 3 of them repaired and refinished. I can not tell which one was the original.
    Attached Images

ROC OUT, that's good news indeed. With info you've provided, I'll try to find a local rep. All 4 of my high-polished wheels need refinish, 2 having severe deep curb rash.

Thanks again.
    You are welcome and am happy this info was useful. Note that the wheels on my car look identical to the one in bluefleetwood's pic above. Am assuming these are the high polished aluminum.

99flhr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

If you don`t mind getting dirty the clear can be removed with "Kleenstrip Aircraft Peeler" or any similar product. Follow up with Simichrome etc.
    Do not reapply the clear

Quote Originally Posted by ROC OUT View Post
    Note that the wheels on my car look identical to the one in bluefleetwood's pic above. Am assuming these are the high polished aluminum.
    Yep, both you and bluefleetwood (thanks!) have P63 high-polished aluminum wheels.
    Same as mine, less the curb rash...lol

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.