just bougt 08 cts issues, high idle, clunk when chaning gear, please avdvise
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, just bougt 08 cts issues, high idle, clunk when chaning gear, please avdvise in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; hello, and thanks for checking out my thread, I purchased an 08 cts 2 weeks ago, had 57k miles, the ...
    08ctsgoldmist is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS

just bougt 08 cts issues, high idle, clunk when chaning gear, please avdvise

hello, and thanks for checking out my thread, I purchased an 08 cts 2 weeks ago, had 57k miles, the car is great but I previously had an 03 deville and I just want to see if a few issues I am having are normal. I will give as much detail as possible to gather the best advice from you experts. and FYi I purchansed from a dealership in Pinehurst nc, 90 yr old dealership w great ratings and in an upscale community. don't think they would sell a car with major issues.

1. when I start my car in the morning, it idles around 1500 for 2-3 min then goes down to its normal 500-600 rpm range.. is this normal for a cts? also if I don't wait for the car to idle down when I put the car in D I sometimes feels a slight jerk and the car runs "fast" if I take my foot off the brake and just let it coast.. is this normal?

2. my main concern- when I change from park to revers, or park to drive I hear a small clunk sound coming from the rear. iv messed around with it and here is what iv noticed
    - if I put the car in drive and it clunks, I can put it in N with no clunk and then back in D with no clunk. same w revers
    - if I do the same thing and put the car in drive, feel the clunk, then put it in N, then in revers, I still feel the clunk. it seems like if I go from d to n back to d then there is no clunk, I can change from N to D 50 times w no clunk but as soon as I change to reverse then I hear the clunk again. could this be my transmission? mount? bushing? any ideas?

I also very rarely hear the clunk when I am shifting from 2-1 going from 20 mph down to ab 10 its rare but I have heard the clunk a few times. also sometimes when I park the car and it rocks back I hear the same clunk noise it makes when I change the gears. don't know if that helps, just what iv noticed.

im only concerned because I just bought the car and have terrible buyers remorse right now, all I think about is I bought a car w a dying tranny and with 57 k no more warranty of any kind.

any advise or opinions would be really helpful. I just want to know I if I need to replace something right away or if I can wait a few months for tax time.. thanks in advance guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Re: just bougt 08 cts issues, high idle, clunk when chaning gear, please avdvise

WELCOME to the CTS forum.

Your car is acting normal. Higher RPMs at start is normal until the engine is warmed up. If you shift your transmission when is running at higher
    RPMs it will be clunky.

If you are suffering from buyers remorse, go back to the dealer and discuss your concerns with them.

Good luck and enjoy your CTS!

fps_dean is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS 3.6 DI AWD

Re: just bougt 08 cts issues, high idle, clunk when chaning gear, please avdvise

I was coming from a '05 STS (and my girlfriend has a '05 Deville) and I was surprised by the cold idle on the CTS but I gather it is normal. I haven't really noticed anything abnormal in the shifts, just they are higher RPM shifts. If it continues to do this once warmed up, then I would worry.

I also noticed that my gas mileage suffers drastically when the engine is cold (I get about 17.5-18.5mpg per tank in the winter depending how long I start it before I get in it vs about 22.5-24.5 when it's above 40 out) in the CTS.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by 08ctsgoldmist View Post
    hello, and thanks for checking out my thread, I purchased an 08 cts 2 weeks ago, had 57k miles, the car is great but I previously had an 03 deville and I just want to see if a few issues I am having are normal. I will give as much detail as possible to gather the best advice from you experts. and FYi I purchansed from a dealership in Pinehurst nc, 90 yr old dealership w great ratings and in an upscale community. don't think they would sell a car with major issues.

1. when I start my car in the morning, it idles around 1500 for 2-3 min then goes down to its normal 500-600 rpm range.. is this normal for a cts? also if I don't wait for the car to idle down when I put the car in D I sometimes feels a slight jerk and the car runs "fast" if I take my foot off the brake and just let it coast.. is this normal?

2. my main concern- when I change from park to revers, or park to drive I hear a small clunk sound coming from the rear. iv messed around with it and here is what iv noticed
    - if I put the car in drive and it clunks, I can put it in N with no clunk and then back in D with no clunk. same w revers
    - if I do the same thing and put the car in drive, feel the clunk, then put it in N, then in revers, I still feel the clunk. it seems like if I go from d to n back to d then there is no clunk, I can change from N to D 50 times w no clunk but as soon as I change to reverse then I hear the clunk again. could this be my transmission? mount? bushing? any ideas?

I also very rarely hear the clunk when I am shifting from 2-1 going from 20 mph down to ab 10 its rare but I have heard the clunk a few times. also sometimes when I park the car and it rocks back I hear the same clunk noise it makes when I change the gears. don't know if that helps, just what iv noticed.

im only concerned because I just bought the car and have terrible buyers remorse right now, all I think about is I bought a car w a dying tranny and with 57 k no more warranty of any kind.

any advise or opinions would be really helpful. I just want to know I if I need to replace something right away or if I can wait a few months for tax time.. thanks in advance guys
    Hello 08ctsgoldmist,

Congratulations on your recent purchase of your CTS! I apologize that you are concerned with how the vehicle is behaving. I see that you have gotten some great responses from the community, but if you are still concerned regarding your vehicle, I would be more than happy to assist you in setting up an appointment with your dealership to look further into these concerns. Please feel free to private message me or send me an email at socialmedia@gm.com with “ATTN GREG” if you would like to further discuss your concern.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.