Help getting rid of a lemon
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 62
Like Tree6Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Help getting rid of a lemon in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I bought a 2010 CTS this summer and it leaked water out the A-pillar. I didn't notice this until my ...
  1. #1
    fps_dean is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North Adams, MA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    239

    Help getting rid of a lemon

    I bought a 2010 CTS this summer and it leaked water out the A-pillar. I didn't notice this until my 90 days to bring it back and get my old car back were up, so now I'm stuck with it.

    I have brought it to a local body shop twice and the dealer twice (who didn't want to do more than blow out any leaves because of the airbags but stated they could hear the air leaking through the pillar), and they fixed the leaky A-pillar after the second attempt but after the first attempt, it started leaking water out of the overhead console. There is no better way to start your day then to have freezing water drip on you and freeze on your pants leg -- tops taking a cold shower!

    At this point I've had it. I don't even have enough vacation time to take a week off on a Monday holiday anymore. It's under warranty, but it's still not getting fixed. I just want to get rid of the car without getting half of what I paid for it at this point. Are warranty repairs typically half-assed? The only reason the A-pillar didn't get fixed the first time is because they wouldn't listen when I said it's more than just clogged because all of the water running down it ends up on my left leg. I could try another dealer but there's a major shortage of dealers in the area -- I've had problems with the other dealer in a 50 mile radius which involved installing brakes wrong and I'd never go back to them for anything.

    How do I get rid of this lemon? Should I bring it in again and trade it in so I can honestly say "as far as I know it's fixed" or just trade it in? Or will GM ever step up and buy it off of me?

    This is unacceptable. I could deal with a blown engine, or whatever. Not having freezing water dumped on me every morning it rains.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    mcneill8328's Avatar
    mcneill8328 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, Premium Pkg
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    281
    Are you having other problems other than the leak? You're gonna have a hard time claiming its a lemon with just this one small matter. I understand that it's a big deal to you, but given that it been fixed, I really don't think they owe you anything. Cars have issues from time to time....especially used cars. Seems to me like it was an unfortunate occurrence, but you probably just need to accept it and move on. Enjoy the car now that it's fixed!

  4. #3
    fps_dean is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North Adams, MA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    239
    Thread Starter

    Re: Help getting rid of a lemon

    It hasn't been fixed! It leaked out the A-pillar, and now it leaks out the overhead center console. It is NOT fixed and I am sick of walking into work with ice on my pants!

    What I said was should I bring it in one more time so I can honestly say "it should have been fixed"?

    I have zero confidence they will ever actually fix it at this point.

    ----------

    Basically if I waste the remaining vacation time bringing the damn thing to the dealer and they still don't fix it, is there any light at the end of the tunnel for me, or should I just trade the lemon in now and take a loss.

    ----------

    What happens when they fail to fix it after 5 more attempts, etc?

  5. #4
    1BadCadSTS's Avatar
    1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,699
    You bought a used car and are bitching about a leaky sunroof? Take it to a different dealer if you have no confidence in your current one. If your under warranty they provide you with a loaner so I see no reason why you need to take a week off work as you claim. Making a mountain out of a molehill much!?

  6. #5
    fps_dean is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North Adams, MA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    239
    Thread Starter

    Re: Help getting rid of a lemon

    They wouldn't take it on a Saturday. If they'd take it on a Saturday and give it a loaner and work on it on a Monday, that's fine. But as it is, I have to take a day off at the very least to bring it to the nearest dealer that is 40 miles away.

    The next closest dealer is like 61 miles away.

    The reason I'd take a week off of work is to bring it in 5 more times. What happens when it still leaks and I wasted all my vacation time?

    You try having cold water dripping on your leg and being told that's acceptable for a 3 year old car. The engine or transmission could go that's fine but at least I wont' catch pneumonia from that.

    ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    You bought a used car and are bitching about a leaky sunroof?
    You would be too if it happened to you.

  7. #6
    snofun3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    323

    Re: Help getting rid of a lemon

    So where's the Caddy Rep when it counts?
    bluefleetwood likes this.

  8. #7
    fps_dean is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North Adams, MA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    239
    Thread Starter

    Re: Help getting rid of a lemon

    I did call Cadillac but they weren't too much help. I'm just trying to decide if I should trade it in now and take a loss, or waste my vacation time and hope they'll recognize it a lemon once they fail to fix it.

    As it stands, I don't see much light at the end of the tunnel either way.

  9. #8
    1BadCadSTS's Avatar
    1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,699
    Quote Originally Posted by fps_dean
    They wouldn't take it on a Saturday. If they'd take it on a Saturday and give it a loaner and work on it on a Monday, that's fine. But as it is, I have to take a day off at the very least to bring it to the nearest dealer that is 40 miles away.

    The next closest dealer is like 61 miles away.

    The reason I'd take a week off of work is to bring it in 5 more times. What happens when it still leaks and I wasted all my vacation time?

    You try having cold water dripping on your leg and being told that's acceptable for a 3 year old car. The engine or transmission could go that's fine but at least I wont' catch pneumonia from that.

    ----------


    You would be too if it happened to you.
    Oh really? I bought my 97 ETC and the day I drove it off the lot the engine blew up. That's something to bitch about. A sunroof lemoning a car. I don't think so... A poor dealer is not a reason to rule the car off.

  10. #9
    MoistCabbage's Avatar
    MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East Boston MA.
    Age
    26
    Posts
    22,429
    If this has been the only problem with the car, you're over reacting, A LOT. A car with a clogged/disconnected sunroof drain is in no way, shape, or form, a lemon. Your dealers service department is the problem. The issue was most likely a clog, and when they "blew out" the drain, they popped one of the tube joints apart. They need to remove the pillar trim, doing so is easy, disabling the airbags is child's play.

  11. #10
    fps_dean is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North Adams, MA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    239
    Thread Starter

    Re: Help getting rid of a lemon

    Please read the full post. The dealer has taken apart the pillar trim -- twice. Now it's leaking out the overhead console where the lights and sunroof controls are.

    ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    Oh really? I bought my 97 ETC and the day I drove it off the lot the engine blew up. That's something to bitch about. A sunroof lemoning a car. I don't think so... A poor dealer is not a reason to rule the car off.
    Good. Then I'll take it to the next dealer out and trade it for a make with competent dealers in the area.

  12. #11
    MoistCabbage's Avatar
    MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East Boston MA.
    Age
    26
    Posts
    22,429
    Quote Originally Posted by fps_dean
    Please read the full post. The dealer has taken apart the pillar trim -- twice.
    I did. I didn't see where you said they removed it, only that they didn't want to do more than blow out the tube because of the airbag, and they attempted to fix it twice.

    If it's leaking from the console, there's still a clog.

  13. #12
    fps_dean is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North Adams, MA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    239
    Thread Starter

    Re: Help getting rid of a lemon

    Local body shops did not want to do any more than that because of the airbag, so I brought it to the dealer . They failed to fix the A-pillar leak the first time and after I brought it in, it started leaking out the console. They finally fixed the A-pillar leak, but it still pours through the console. I'm not even sure what they did the second time different from the first but they did mention my windshield was installed incorrectly which was part of it, although it seems doubtful that it's leaking out the back of the overhead console, although it might be possible too. You'd think they'd at least put in enough effort to run some water on the car after failing to fix it the first time to make sure they fixed it.

    At this point, I don't even want to get in the car. I don't want to look at it. Even if they could fix it, I think I need to find a vehicle with a competent dealer in the area. I've already stated that I want to get rid of it. My question is should I just trade it in, or if I bring it in 5 more times, should GM step up and lemon it? It's that simple. People seem to be missing the question. I've never had such a terrible experience with a vehicle in my life, and I've never had to lemon anything or been in a situation where it may be lemoned. I'm not saying they should lemon it now, but would they lemon it if they can't fix it after 4-5 more attempts? Because if not, I'll save myself the hassle and keep my vacation time. Like I said, I have zero faith they will ever fix it at this point.

  14. #13
    1BadCadSTS's Avatar
    1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,699
    Quote Originally Posted by fps_dean
    Please read the full post. The dealer has taken apart the pillar trim -- twice. Now it's leaking out the overhead console where the lights and sunroof controls are.

    ----------


    Good. Then I'll take it to the next dealer out and trade it for a make with competent dealers in the area.
    Go for it. I figured the next thing to come up was something to slander the whole make based on your poor dealer experience. How about you buy a Honda.

  15. #14
    fps_dean is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North Adams, MA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    239
    Thread Starter

    Re: Help getting rid of a lemon

    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    Go for it. I figured the next thing to come up was something to slander the whole make based on your poor dealer experience. How about you buy a Honda.
    Either the dealers in the area are useless, or I'm slandering the make. You seemed to agree the dealers useless too, so is that slandering the make, or the dealers within a reasonable distance? Make up your mind.

    My question is quite simple -- should I trade it in now, or if I bring it back 5 more times, they fail to fix it, should GM step up to the plate at that point? Really simple and no need to get your panties in a bunch. If you spend nearly $30k on a car, you'd expect it not to leak water too. Try not acting like you would.

  16. #15
    calif phil is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    268
    I would take it to a different dealer and explain your frustration and ask them if they will work hard to figure out your issue. If you hate the car trade it off. To me I can't imagine it falling under the lemon law.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting