Help getting rid of a lemon - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Help getting rid of a lemon in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; fps_dean, you are getting way too crazy to balance vacation time over proper repairs. Call the service manager and explain ...
    C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Re: Help getting rid of a lemon

fps_dean, you are getting way too crazy to balance vacation time over proper repairs. Call the service manager and explain your concerns about the car not being repaired. Take it in on a work day, get a rental car and you are out in 15 minutes and off to work. Tell them you will not pick up the car until they test it and they are sure it's fixed. Taking a week off from work to take the car back and forth is crazy. When the car is done, pick it up and drop off your rental car. You can probably do that after working hours.
    You are spending a lot of time boo-hoo'ing yourself for buying a car with a leaking sunroof. It's not a lemon because it's not a mechanical or safety issue, plus in Florida,at least the lemon law does not apply to used cars.
    If you are too overwhelmed by this, by all means take it in and trade it for something else and pray it won't have anything wrong with it.

CTSRags is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS 4 3.6L AWD

I think you should read a few of the threads on leaky CTS issues there are a few all appear to show solutions and it all seems to be dirt a stuff getting in channels. I can understand your frustration but a single issue probably caused by dirt from where it was sitting for last few years is hardly a lemon issue. I think you have you need to read the threads on leaks and seek out another Caddy dealer or shop that deals with them. That leak is probably why it sold the dealer that sold it may or may not have known but shit happens so focus on solutions to the issues. It seems like a huge frustration but is actually a simple problem.
    For the slams here against you Im thinking we need to be a little more friendly then slam him for his frustration. lets let cooler heads prevail here and get him a solution.
    Good luck checking out the leak threads Im thinking you can solve your issue.

Rags
    SHOWGIRL and sliderule01 like this.

fps_dean is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS 3.6 DI AWD

So I brought it back in, they said they water tested it for a hour and the console was dry. It hadn't leaked in a little while, so maybe there was some issue with ice. But this morning (well above freezing as well), the A-pillar which I thought was fixed was pouring water on me and the center console was clearly damp but I didn't quite get a solid 6oz drip out of it like I normally do.

They finally agreed to take the car and give me a loaner until they figure out what's going on but I still need to figure out how to get it there - I can probably just bring it on a Saturday.

And the dirt has been cleaned out of both sides, twice. They have been taken apart, and dirt and mainly pine needles have been removed. It's still leaking, so it's clearly something else, like bad hose clips, or a hole in a hose or something else like that.

The weird thing is the console leaks on the right side, and the drivers side A-pillar is the one that is leaking.

I have figured out a few things:
    -This morning, I parked face first in the driveway rather than backing in, so the right wheels were at a slight incline over the left (so the left side has more water going through it)
    -The two places I park at frequently, being home and at the parking garage at work are generally flat, but I get dripping out of the console after moving the car, at which point the front of the car is lower than the back. I do believe I have got dripping before hitting the hill/ramp however, but if not this would suggest sunroof problem to me. I have read that some cars like the Ford Explorers funnel the water into the sunroof drain houses through a U funnel, which would leak if parked on a hill. This isn't a Ford Explorer, but is it possible it has the same design flaw?

And thank you CTSRags -- I had more water dripped on my leg in the first 5 minutes of sitting in my car than I did getting out of my car and walking around the block in the rain this morning, and it was a full downpour at the time.

I figure the prior owner got rid of it for the same reason, and they were probably unable to fix it as well.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Does the sunroof itself fit properly? There are many reports about improperly adjusted sunroofs. Are there any wind noises/whistles at speed that would indicate air leakage which in turn can mean water leakage? This is one persistent, strange problem.
    Another thought...windshield leak?

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    Does the sunroof itself fit properly? There are many reports about improperly adjusted sunroofs. Are there any wind noises/whistles at speed that would indicate air leakage which in turn can mean water leakage? This is one persistent, strange problem.
    Another thought...windshield leak?
    They did adjust the windshield once already, and the A-pillar did not leak during some light rain since, until this morning. But I am inclined to think it is the sunroof given what I noticed about how I parked and when it leaks, unless that is just a coincidence. However, I had been backing into the space a lot lately and parking on top of the garage and off of the incline, and the A-pillar has generally remained dry and the first rain storm I parked front-forward in my driveway, I get soaked. I'd have parked on the ramp just to test it if there was an open space.

We did get a lot of rain today (my stream is nearly overflowing), but I also got a lot of rain in the A-pillar as well.

I wouldn't say I hear any wind noises out of the sunroof.

I did open the sunroof a crack to see if I could see pooled up water, and it really looked pretty dry in there, which seems to always be the case. I think most of that water is dripping through my A-pillar or center console and coming into the car.

Slee_Stack is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Wagon RWD Premium, Used to own 2005 STS 1SG

To give credit where its due, you are now going about getting this corrected in a logical manner.

Be sure to communicate the orientation of the car which seems to exacerbate the problem and insist the dealer replicate the position of the car when testing for leaks. This should be relatively easy for them to do.

If I were the dealer, I'd be pulling the headliner, resealing where I could, and replacing all drain hoses and connectors regardless.

I was going about getting this corrected in a logical manner. The problem is that it hasn't been corrected, and where I would have given a 1% chance of actually fixing this before, that continues to drop even more with every failed attempt. I now have even less vacation time left, and the problem still remains. Once again, I regret not trading the damn thing in.

I told them that the center console seemed to leak when I move the car, and when I move the car, I start heading downhill. They said they slammed on the brakes a few times to try to force water forward, but it didn't seem to work as they said they couldn't get it to leak. I am wondering if they should be jacking the back of the car up and pouring water in the backside of the sunroof, if they were only putting it on the front. Honestly, I wonder what the hell they were doing to not get it to leak, it sure has no problem when it rains.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Just as a thought. After the drains have been cleared and haven't helped. I wonder if it could be the sun roof frame. It could be deformed or cracked in the area of the drain attachment or just out of whack which is allowing water to puddle and exit from different places based on the car's orientation. Might be worth a look.

I really do have to agree this has to be as frustrating as hell. The dealer should be all over this thing, and now they just need to remove the entire assembly, glass, frame and everything associated with it. Replace all drains, everything, from soup to nuts. This is just going to continue to frustrate a customer and cost Cadillac money. Just take care of it.

Have you taken up Cadillac Customer Care on their offer? If not, you need to. This problem needs a resolution, and Cadillac should step up.

calif phil is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I would print this thread and show it to the service manager/general manager. It might help them understand your frustration and work hard at a solution.

I'm bringing it back today and getting a loaner. I will only lose one hour of work this way.

And CTSRags - your inbox is full so I'll say it here but when I said thank you to you, I did not mean to sound sarcastic. I honestly meant thank you for being helpful and not be an ass about it like some people who say shit like "You bought a used car and are bitching about a leaky sunroof?" Why post at all then...

Thanks

-Dean

CTSRags is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS 4 3.6L AWD

Roger that Dean,
    I cleaned out my inbox.......only messages not much. Thought it was a TY but was not sure. Did you check out the possible bent pillar or roof due to accident? If cant figure out leak id look at that. Also my impala did same through cabin airfilter when ice got in cover. Under dash in lap sounds like cabin filter or some firewall wiper blade panel area issue. Door pillar roof drain maybe not be it.
    Is there any news on it?
    Rags

Also I should add I am definitely thinking it has to be a sunroof due to the car orientation (although I am not sure if I had water in the A-pillar or not when backing in the driveway, which may rule out this theory). Yesterday, it dried up as I got into work which does suggest it may be related to its orientation in my driveway, but there have been times in the past where it dripped more water the more I drove as well so that's not always consistent.

But the thing is that I've opened the sunroof enough to check the front and drains for piled up water, and all but one time I've never found anything in there. The one time I found something in there, I may have actually left the sunroof vented, I'm not sure. Basically I meant to open the shade at a red light, hit the wrong button and the light turned green so I didn't pay attention if I closed it all the way or not.

----------

I did not get a carfax when I bought the car, because my experience tells me that the carfax always comes up clean. If the dealer offered carfaxes for all of their cars except the one I'm looking at, then I'd walk. So I just paid for a carfax to be safe, and it did come up clean, and as far as I can tell nothing looks bent or damaged on the car, minus a few watermarks that I'll need clean up in the interior once this remains dry.

I also noticed that the drivers side front and back windows and drivers side of the windshield seems to fog up but the passengers windows and passengers side of the windshield does not regardless if I park front first or back in. I'm not sure if that means anything but I am sure it's related somehow.

----------

and no news yet. I'm jetting out of work a hour early to drop it off by 6pm and get the loaner.

So I have dropped the car off and they gave me a ATS loaner. The car is surprisingly comfortable and I fit fine, but it's very difficult to get in and out of. With the backseat being so small and all, I wish they just made it a 2 door. If anything positive comes out of this, I guess it's that I got to check out the XTS and now ATS.

I really like the XTS too, most comfortable seats I've ever sat in, but I really do prefer the handling of the CTS.

Throw that ATS around some corners and you will see how that baby is glued to the road. It has great balance. Just needs some balls, like the V-Sport or more.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.