Help getting rid of a lemon - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Help getting rid of a lemon in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; If you are only considering two options (trade it in now or take it to the dealer 5 more times ...
    mcneill8328 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, Premium Pkg
    If you are only considering two options (trade it in now or take it to the dealer 5 more times so they can call it a lemon) I would suggest trading it in. Reason being....they will NEVER call the car a lemon, because it isn't. It's got a leaky sunroof...this is a fixable problem. We have forum member who have fixed these things themselves. I guess what I'm trying to say is that your second option isn't a viable one...this car will never be considered a lemon based on what you are experiencing.

fps_dean is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS 3.6 DI AWD

Re: Help getting rid of a lemon

I said I have zero faith they will get it right. So maybe it's fixable as you said and they could fix it. So if I take it in say 5 more times, and say they fix it, that's good. But let's say it still leaks at this point, would it be lemonable? I've seen several cars returned for the same issue when I was car shopping, or at least the dealers told me that was why they were discounting the car so much.

So basically would there actually be light at the end of the tunnel either way? That's essentially what I'm looking for. Like I said, I have zero faith they'll get it right at this point, so if I keep bringing it in and it still leaks then I'm just wasting the limited vacation time I have left for nothing.

However to assume it's a leaky sunroof drain at this point is a pretty large assumption at this point, especially considering the drain does not go where it's leaking.

mcneill8328 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, Premium Pkg
    I guess if I were in your shoes, I would take it somewhere else, even if I had to pay for it myself. In my opinion it's probably fixable. You will probably lose way more money trading it in, and not to mention the hassle of doing that. I'm guessing there are going to be many hoops you will have to jump through to get them to call it a lemon. I don't know what you have to go through before they do that, but I'm guessing that's a long process.

I'll see who else there is. Maybe I'll give the local Buick GMC dealer a shot, even though they did recommend bringing it to someone who knows the car better for this sort of thing.

Brutus is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS4

A lemon is a new motor vehicle that has one or more problems, covered by the warranty, that substantially impair the use, value or safety of that vehicle. The problems must occur within the first year or first 18,000 miles, whichever comes first.

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013

FWIW...each U.S. state has its own version of the Lemon Law, and some include USED vehicles. For example, if the OP bought his secondhand CTS in MA, then the Lemon Law maximum 90 days or 3,750 miles, whichever comes first, has expired; and, accordingly, the vehicle is not "lemonable."

Realistically, GM/Cadillac will never take back the OP's vehicle. Just get it fixed, hopefully, before any remaining bumper-to-bumper warranty expires.
    tinman likes this.

I thought that GM, like other brands at some point would step up if they can't get it right under warranty too. So you're basically telling me they won't. Thanks. I won't use more than one more vacation day on it

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by fps_dean
    However to assume it's a leaky sunroof drain at this point is a pretty large assumption at this point, especially considering the drain does not go where it's leaking.
    The moonroof isn't necessarily leaking where the water is dripping (overhead console). Remember That water travels down the path of least resistance. It can be leaking at the corners, traveling and pooling and then leaking out of an opening (overhead console).

It is conceivable that they blew out a drain hose, the water is now leaking onto the roof liner, pooling near the console and dripping through the openings.
    tinman and C "T" ess like this.

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Like 928S said, each state has different lemon laws. When my trans went out at 50k three times, I looked closely at those laws to find out I would not be covered. We all know that Massachusetts is different, very different, lol.

This should be fixable, no question. Obviously your dealer has no clue. Personally, as much as you despise the other moron dealer who can't fix brakes, maybe they can fix your leak. They won't have the same idiot work on your sunroof (we hope). This is you dealer's fault and his alone. Find another dealer. Easily said, I know, but now you have to.

If you don't have satisfaction, then just bite the bullet. I would stay the course and get it fixed elsewhere. This can be done; you have a lazy, incompetent dealer.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by fps_dean View Post
    I bought a 2010 CTS this summer and it leaked water out the A-pillar. I didn't notice this until my 90 days to bring it back and get my old car back were up, so now I'm stuck with it.

I have brought it to a local body shop twice and the dealer twice (who didn't want to do more than blow out any leaves because of the airbags but stated they could hear the air leaking through the pillar), and they fixed the leaky A-pillar after the second attempt but after the first attempt, it started leaking water out of the overhead console. There is no better way to start your day then to have freezing water drip on you and freeze on your pants leg -- tops taking a cold shower!

At this point I've had it. I don't even have enough vacation time to take a week off on a Monday holiday anymore. It's under warranty, but it's still not getting fixed. I just want to get rid of the car without getting half of what I paid for it at this point. Are warranty repairs typically half-assed? The only reason the A-pillar didn't get fixed the first time is because they wouldn't listen when I said it's more than just clogged because all of the water running down it ends up on my left leg. I could try another dealer but there's a major shortage of dealers in the area -- I've had problems with the other dealer in a 50 mile radius which involved installing brakes wrong and I'd never go back to them for anything.

How do I get rid of this lemon? Should I bring it in again and trade it in so I can honestly say "as far as I know it's fixed" or just trade it in? Or will GM ever step up and buy it off of me?

This is unacceptable. I could deal with a blown engine, or whatever. Not having freezing water dumped on me every morning it rains.
    Hello fps_dean,

I apologize that you are experiencing a concern with your CTS leaking. I do see that you have spoken with our Customer Care team over the phone. If you were to private message me your VIN and case number, I would be happy to look further your file for you.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

cadillacmike68 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brg, 09 STS N* Platinum, 11 CTS Premium

Having a bad year are you??

Ok, It didn't rain for 90 days this summer. Where are you, the mideast desert? because that's the only place I know of where it doesn't rain for over 90 days. Oh, you're in Pittsfield? It rains there.

It's a sunroof leak, and you you're not giving them a chance. Bring it in, get a loaner and let them take the time needed to correct it. If you don't want to, then good luck with another make, however I doubt you'll be any more satisfied.

The only rain we got for the first two months was a light sprinkle for a couple of hours either in the middle of the day or overnight and it stopped long enough before I got in the car where it dried up.

I'm a little less pissed off now, mainly as I've been home and it hasn't rained this week when I was out so I haven't had my pant leg soaked in freezing water.

And of course I'd be more satisfied if I could stay dry in a car, be it a Cadillac or Mercedes or even a 1987 Yugo. It sucks getting covered in freezing water.

I'm really bringing it to the local Buick GMC dealer anyway, even though they did say they weren't familiar with the model which would help with this sort of thing.

But how am I not giving them a chance? I brought it in twice already. If they'd keep the car long enough to run water on it, they'd have spotted this leak.

From where it's leaking, if it's a sunroof leak then what did they do the first time they had it in that made it drip out the console? Drill a hole in the sunroof? I just don't see how else it could get from the sunroof. You'd think the initial A-pillar leak was a sunroof leak, but it didn't stop until they repositioned the windshield as well.

Slee_Stack is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Wagon RWD Premium, Used to own 2005 STS 1SG

I would take a moment to be genuinely thankful that this is the 'worst automotive experience' you've had in your life.

Honestly, I think you'd curl up and die if you had even a 1/4 of the experiences of what most people have with at least 1 or 2 cars at some point.

I have met someone like you though. She tried to 'lemon' her car over a window that squeaked when it rolled up. She appeared very distraught over the whole ordeal. She would even point out the squeak which honestly I couldn't ever really hear. I still laugh about it.

Talk about first world problems.

Like I said, I'd rather have it blow and engine or transmission. At least I know people who can genuinely fix stuff like that and get it done right, and it doesn't dump freezing cold water on me. Quite a bit of a difference between a "window squeaking."

cadillacmike68 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brg, 09 STS N* Platinum, 11 CTS Premium

My 68 leaked water on my left leg for 15 years. But it wasn't freezing water.

You never directly mentioned they re-positioned the windshield. I think we still don't have the full picture here. We'd all like to see you have your CTS leakproof, and be an enjoyable car to drive, but its ard to remote diagnose with incomplete info.

I recommend that you go through and write down in detail, in chronological order every symptom observed, symptom recorded by the dealer(s) (and which dealer / facility), action taken (this should be right of their written repair records), and your observed results.

Take this to the dealer the next time and be sure they under stand what has transpired.

When you re-post please paste your chronological findings so we can better understand. what's going on.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.