2008 AWD CTS possible Torque Converter issues.. need advice
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2008 AWD CTS possible Torque Converter issues.. need advice in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; to start. I have read several posts on this, it appears that i'm experiencing a torque converter issue as many ...
    mevaristo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

2008 AWD CTS possible Torque Converter issues.. need advice

to start. I have read several posts on this, it appears that i'm experiencing a torque converter issue as many other people have reported. I'm not sure if the problem has been there since day one but ive just recently noticed it and i'm able to re create it at will or drive a bit different and not let it happen. Basically experiencing bucking at around 2000 rpm usually going up hill. it feels like the car needs to shift down and if i don't let it it will buck eventually shifting down and taking off.

Again. I can drive the car a certain way and usually the issue does not appear. Car shifts great at any other given time. seems to have proper power so i'm assuming there is nothing wrong with the transmission itself. my car has about 150K on it and no warranties are valid ( as far as i know) With all this said i have a few questions.

1 Will the problem get worse.
    2 are there any warranty work that should have been done previous to me owning it. Ive read about TCC reprogramming TSB.. etc.
    3 Been thinking about doing a ECM tune ( previous to this issue) would that help or possible make it worse. ?

i guess I'm just looking for some advice before i decide to take it to the dealer and have them take a look at it. I take care of the car and dont' drive it like a retard and i can't believe that this is a common issue. are we just paying for the name or does GM actually use better quality parts on these vehicles.? makes me wonder if i should ever upgrade to a newer CTS or go with something else.

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Re: 2008 AWD CTS possible Torque Converter issues.. need advice

It seems that you are confusing a "lot size" defect on newer cars with a high mileage problem with your car. You state that this might be a common issue, but it is not a common issue. There have been a few trans problems, but fewer TC problems.

Have you done any maintenance on your transmission yet? Such as changing the fluid/filter? I know these cars have a sealed fluid system and it's hard to determine if the fluid level is correct. Are you getting any codes when the transmission is shuddering?

I would suggest that you take your car to your local dealer for a checkup and let them give you professional advice. Good luck, Marv

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

We see quite a few faulty TC's....a shuddering is most common symptom on the V6 trans. I prefer to relace with a FTI after market purpose built, but have a few dozen like new take outs here if you need one. VERY labor intensive to swap one the AWD though.

V8's have very few issues w/the TC and the V6 trans is tuff, we have 40-50 FI builds going through them up to 450 plus RWHP and no failures yet.
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

Marv: Thank you for your input. No i have done no maint. on the transmission. haven't noticed any issues and do regular maint on the car at the dealer. I will probably take it in and let them take a look.

SC2150.. I'm in Canada

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Time to visit some bikinis and palm trees?
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

Lol. I wish thanks for the invitation

exm22psu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD Premium

Don't assume it's the TC. Another common problem is the failure of one or more of the coil packs, which will cause the vehicle to act just as you describe.

Funny u mention that. Twice has one of my fuses blown for a set of coil packs. I just figured it was due to the weather. I do not get any engine light at all when I experience the issue. Spark plugs were changed about 2 years ago. Maybe I should get it all checked out again. Thanks for the input

Joe
    Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS blk/blk

Bad coil pack or packs, probably fouled plugs also. After wasting money at the dealer I bought three packs and changed the three most difficult ones and all the plugs..runs like a champ!

Were you experiencing the same type of issues as I described ? Bucking ?

Joe
    Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS blk/blk

Hi Mevaristo,

Yes bucking...It happened numerous times, especially on damp mornings and always climbing a grade. I took it to the dealer and they would change a coil pack and one plug and after the second visit in about a 6 month period at about 350 a pop I decided to fix it myself. I posted the change out if your interested in reading it. These cars for different reasons accumulate oil on the plugs and the packs are sensitive to moisture. Sometimes it will throw a code on the dash. If your good with tools its no big deal to replace the plugs or packs. Best of luck and let us know how you make out!

have a good holiday,

Joe

Joe thanks a bunch for the info. I will certainly look into that. I was the one who changed all the plugs a couple of years ago so i'm sure i could look into doing it again. I would probably invest in new coil packs if i were to do the plugs again. unfortunately i do not have a code reader to see if any codes are present but no dash lights appear. As i mentioned one of the two fuses has blown twice so that obviously indicates an issue and i was aware of that, i never thought that a bad coild or spark plug could cause what i have been experiencing at times with the bucking but i guess it makes sense.

Its a little cold right now and there's about 5 thick inches of ice out there so I probably wont' be able to get at the plugs unless i take it to a shop.

Thanks for all the advice and happy holidays to all

----------

been doing some more reading and indeed it sounds like it could be plugs or coil packs or a combination of both. It sounds like I have a little project on my hands just wish i had a clean garage to do it in lol better get the wife to clean up all her junk..

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by mevaristo View Post
    to start. I have read several posts on this, it appears that i'm experiencing a torque converter issue as many other people have reported. I'm not sure if the problem has been there since day one but ive just recently noticed it and i'm able to re create it at will or drive a bit different and not let it happen. Basically experiencing bucking at around 2000 rpm usually going up hill. it feels like the car needs to shift down and if i don't let it it will buck eventually shifting down and taking off.

Again. I can drive the car a certain way and usually the issue does not appear. Car shifts great at any other given time. seems to have proper power so i'm assuming there is nothing wrong with the transmission itself. my car has about 150K on it and no warranties are valid ( as far as i know) With all this said i have a few questions.

1 Will the problem get worse.
    2 are there any warranty work that should have been done previous to me owning it. Ive read about TCC reprogramming TSB.. etc.
    3 Been thinking about doing a ECM tune ( previous to this issue) would that help or possible make it worse. ?

i guess I'm just looking for some advice before i decide to take it to the dealer and have them take a look at it. I take care of the car and dont' drive it like a retard and i can't believe that this is a common issue. are we just paying for the name or does GM actually use better quality parts on these vehicles.? makes me wonder if i should ever upgrade to a newer CTS or go with something else.

Thanks in advance
    Hello mevaristo,

I apologize that you are experiencing a concern with your CTS. I do see that you have gotten some great advice from the community here. Please be sure to keep us updated on the outcome of your project and if you do plan on taking your vehicle in I would suggest reaching out to the Customer Care team at GM of Canada since I see you are located there. If you need their contact information, please feel free to private message me and I would be happy to provide it to you. I will be sure to be looking for your future posts.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Thanks Gregory W. I will update accordingly. I do have a question. I'm going to assume that the dealer can pull up a record of all if any warranty work / recalls that apply to my vehicle ?? I'm pretty sure that my car was originally a lease from a dealer which i'm to assume performed any work that should apply to any recalls etc??

assuming that i can find these records.. if any work was to be performed that hasn't yet can it still be done?

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Not to be smart, but this really IS a case NOT to assume.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.