Universal Remote System malfunction
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Universal Remote System malfunction in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; ...
    MBambo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Sportswagon AWD Premium

Universal Remote System malfunction

Apparently my carís Universal Remote System is malfunctioning. It randomly opens and later closes the garage door by itself during the day and night. For security reasons, it is especially disconcerting at night when we are sleeping! Sometimes the activation interval doesnít repeat itself for 20 to 40 minutes?

I had a garage door serviceman come out to check out the garage door components and he said the door system is working correctly and only responding to the carís transmission. He cleared the Remote system codes so that the car was incompatible with the garage door receiver and could not transmit a proper code. As a result the door hasnít repeated opening or closing since. He said that the previously programmed center button wasnít sticking and that it might be an internal problem in the Universal Remote System.

Has any else with a 2010 or later CTS Sportwagon AWD Premium experienced this same problem? If so what was the corrective solution?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Did you try clearing out (resetting) the Homelink system to make sure it's your car?

Re: Universal Remote System malfunction

Yes, as mentioned previously, my garage door repairman did that and it solved the door random open & closing operation. Made an appointment with the local Cadillac dealer and they changed the transmitter under warrantee at no additional charge. Since the dealer Service Manager had never heard of this malfunction, they didn't have a replacement module and had to have it next day delivered and it was replaced the next day. Prior to clearing the transmitter code the garage door almost came down on my cars roof as I was backing it out. Damage was avoided by the doors obstruction safety provision as the wheels rolled past over the red light beam.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

If you are experiencing less than expected distance operation, try removing the overhead console and on the cross beam, attach with tape or glue a piece of aluminum foil wrapped around card stock such as a business card. I did this and doubled the distance from which I can operate my garage door.

It has been over three weeks since the CTS transmitter module was replaced. Good news is that my garage door hasn't
    repeated its opening and closing security and hazard situation. Conclusion - the CTS transmitting module was in fact
    malfunctioning and sending out signals with an unoccupied car. Modern cars with sophisticated electronics have mysterious
    Gremlins.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by MBambo View Post
    It has been over three weeks since the CTS transmitter module was replaced. Good news is that my garage door hasn't
    repeated its opening and closing security and hazard situation. Conclusion - the CTS transmitting module was in fact
    malfunctioning and sending out signals with an unoccupied car. Modern cars with sophisticated electronics have mysterious
    Gremlins.
    Hello MBambo,

I am glad everything seems to be functioning properly now. I apologize for the Universal Remote System malfunction you had to deal with. If any other concerns or questions arise, don't hesitate to contact us so we can assist.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.