Onstar and XM costs
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Onstar and XM costs in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hello, It's time to renew my Onstar and xm, xm charged my card $179.00 for a year and Onstar wants ...
    Citabria is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Onstar and XM costs

Hello,

It's time to renew my Onstar and xm, xm charged my card $179.00 for a year and Onstar wants $149 for the safe and sound package. I tried negotiating with xm and they told me I had enough promo prices even though I have 3 radios and $179.00 is what it's going to be. Onstar told me 149.00 was a special price. Thoughts?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

calif phil is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe
    That is about what I pay. I have two vehicles with OnStar and 4 XM accounts. It's a lot of money but I think it is worth it.

kingtj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe, Premium edition

Re: Onstar and XM costs

Pfft.... I suppose. If people think this stuff is worth those prices and keep paying for it, then that's what it's actually worth. But both of them can count me out!

I discontinued my OnStar after the first year, because "special pricing" or not, I just can't see the value? These days, all of us have cellphones, and that's all the OnStar system really is anyway -- a cellular card integrated with a hands-free system and designed to call in to the OnStar call center with the push of a button. Yeah, I know that's a BIT simplistic, as it also can tap into the vehicle diagnostics port and fish out/report trouble codes, and can track your vehicle's location (or at least attempt to do so with varying results). But how useful is that, really? I can plug an analyzer into the diag port myself if I see a check engine light or suspect a problem ... Why wait for a monthly OnStar email report?

I think OnStar just uses fear to make the sale, all in all. "What would you do if you were in a major accident and you needed to summon help?? What if someone stole your car??" Do the research though. There are FAR too many cases reported of OnStar massively failing to help people in emergency situations like these. All in all, I think you're going to have better odds just dialing 911 yourself or having a witness do it for you. The rest of the stuff they offer (mostly at additional cost!) is just convenience for people who can't be bothered to do more than press a button and ask someone else for info. (Why ask OnStar to put a destination into my GPS for me when I can key it in myself quicker than having the phone conversation with them?)

As for XM? I've kept a subscription with them, but only after haggling each time to get their lowest price (which seems to be around $90, give or take a few bucks, for a year of service). IMO, it's just barely worth that price to me (mainly for a few music stations I enjoy). But I don't have it in my other car and don't really miss it in there that much. It'd be better, IMO, if the signals weren't so compressed. The audio quality for XM is pretty poor ... worse than FM radio, typically. And the fact they make you pay extra for each additional receiver stinks too. I'll just limit where I listen to it before giving them more money to hear it in another car or in the house.
    928S and Wolfster like this.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

For me, On* is a must. As I posted in the past, I had a heart attack while driving. Calling 911 would have been a bit problematic since I wasn't sure of where I was. On* had two people working at once. Located my car, got me to a spot where my doctor told me to go and had an ambulance waiting and I was whisked off to the hospital. All turned out well and I all had to do was push a button.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

I really like XM, but I only pay about $75/year. I won't pay the full monty. Tell 'em you are cancelling. They will put you with a different customer service area and they can negotiate. Not worth full price, and this comes from someone who really loves it.

mcneill8328 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, Premium Pkg
    Quote Originally Posted by tinman
    I really like XM, but I only pay about $75/year. I won't pay the full monty. Tell 'em you are cancelling. They will put you with a different customer service area and they can negotiate. Not worth full price, and this comes from someone who really loves it.
    Agreed, and if you do actually cancel, it will be about 1 day before you start getting deals in the mail to sign up for discounted prices.

jghiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Sedan Lux Silver Coast

XM is a nightmare. I have come to the point where I know I enjoy, and my wife as well, listening to some of the content at home and in the car, especially on long trips. Their pricing policy is agressive and in the case of Internet Radio which I enjoy more than XM(radio) content, you pay additional $3.50 but that doesnt get all the channels unless your radio(any one), has at least the Select package. If you have say Mostly Music, the monthly charge is the same but the content is very limited. I hate to haggle with them so I dont do it anymore. The worst aspect is that they try and sync up all your radio subscriptions for the same month which hurts. That is the only point I will continue to fight them on. But every time I speak with a rep and setup a package, the invoices that get generated are impossible to break down and confirm. They pro rate things so much the bill never reflects a full subscription period. What I listen to most is Internet Radio and Cinemagic using my iPhone connected to my car radio using the special cables. This can be played through the radio but you have to control things from your iPhone but you can enjoy the realtime streaming audio over their mobile IR app.

Citabria is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS
    Thanks everyone for the responses. The xm phone call works. I will check with onstar next week!

rchern is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Crystal Red CTS Coupe with Ebony Interior

Quote Originally Posted by Citabria View Post
    Thanks everyone for the responses. The xm phone call works. I will check with onstar next week!
    Can you tell me what they charged you? I have to renew before Jan.3. The plan I have now is XM Select and I paid $77.00 plus $8.32 Royalty Fee. Can anyone tell me if that is the going rate for now. I tried searching on this site and couldn't find a lot
    of recent info. Thanks in advance to anyone who has info.

ROC OUT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS

I bought the XM lifetime plan for $499 several years ago and XM broke up the payment into five $100 monthly payments. Seems like a lot at first but if you keep your cars longer and pay $15 per month, you can do the math and see how long it will be before you reach $500. Also, at the time I bought my lifetime subscription, XM includes transfer of service to a new vehicle for a $75 transfer fee. Anyone else have this plan??

arw1510 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by rchern View Post
    Can you tell me what they charged you? I have to renew before Jan.3. The plan I have now is XM Select and I paid $77.00 plus $8.32 Royalty Fee. Can anyone tell me if that is the going rate for now. I tried searching on this site and couldn't find a lot
    of recent info. Thanks in advance to anyone who has info.
    I pay about that for a year with select. But have yo threaten to cancel to get it down to that price. I'm sure they go lower but I didn't put much of a fight

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Quote Originally Posted by ROC OUT View Post
    I bought the XM lifetime plan for $499 several years ago and XM broke up the payment into five $100 monthly payments. Seems like a lot at first but if you keep your cars longer and pay $15 per month, you can do the math and see how long it will be before you reach $500. Also, at the time I bought my lifetime subscription, XM includes transfer of service to a new vehicle for a $75 transfer fee. Anyone else have this plan??
    I bought the lifetime for my wife's Audi. Yes, it was a good deal. Considering we still have it and haven't made a transfer it's looking like one of my better moves.

calif phil is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I bought the lifetime for the XM boombox at my business. That was 10 years ago it was a great deal. I
    wonder how much the lifetime plan costs today. I still pay for 4 other XM accounts though.

Douglas Rome is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-4 3.0 Base sedan black/black

Linda gets XM on and off, she gets it turned on when they offer a deal you can't refuse. She also
    just got OnStar for 15mos $199, I'm not so sure that's the best deal you can get, there might be
    a better one available? thanks, Douglas

rchern is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Crystal Red CTS Coupe with Ebony Interior

I called yesterday to renew XM Select for a year. There was a 47 minute wait to speak to someone so you get on a call back list and they call you back. When they called the woman said there are no deals so I said that I wanted to cancel. She said that she would put me through to the department that does cancellations. There was a 74 minute wait. They called back and then magically they found a deal. $96.75 which includes $10.00 royalty fee and a $2.00 billing fee because I wouldn't give a credit card number. I've lost track of how many times I've gone through the same scenario, although the long wait times is new.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.