Onstar and XM costs - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Onstar and XM costs in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; In late October as most of you know I traded in my '12 CTS coupe for a CTS-V coupe. Since ...
    gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium

Re: Onstar and XM costs

In late October as most of you know I traded in my '12 CTS coupe for a CTS-V coupe. Since the V was a CPO, it came with 3 months complimentary OnStar and XM, which seemed to really confuse the issue when trying to transfer service from my old accounts to the new.

The drive home from the dealer was over two hours so I figured it would be a good time to get OnStar and XM transferred over.

OnStar was pretty straight forward. They said that since the dealer created a new account for the V, it would just be easier to cancel the old one and use the new one and they would credit me for the remaining service I had. They did however roll over the minutes from my old account. I only have a small amount in the event I were to forget my cell phone which is rare, but has happened on occasion. The only minor inconvenience is that I had to create a new username for the OnStar app. I just renewed yesterday. I went for the Directions and Connections plan even though I have navigation. Primarily because I love having the ability to look up locations on the app and then send them to the car. Price for D&C is $299 and the best I could get out of then was $40 for a $259 renewal. I'm curious if anyone has gotten better deals aside from the free OnStar with State Farm. Not interested in giving insurance companies yet free insight into my daily driving.

Now came XM. I say this without reservation but I cringe every time I have to call them. They invariably get confused and it's never a quick phone call. I was on the phone for them over an hour during that two hour drive home. I told the rep that I had traded in a 2012 Cadillac CTS for a 2012 Cadillac CTS-V. This apparently was too confusing for her. She then proceeded to cancel the account on my wife's 2011 BMW X5. Don't ask me how that car came into the conversation. After reinstating the X5 and me explaining again that I was trading in one CTS for a CTS-V, she finally cancelled the right car. I then told her that I wanted the same deal that I already had ($89 for the radio + ~$40 for NavTraffic). Again she was confused saying that I already had complimentary service. I told her I understood, but I was trying to get this all resolved so I didn't have to make another call. Again, this seemed to confuse her. The whole situation was getting frustrating and it was souring what should have been an exciting drive home in my new (to me) V. She said she took care of it and I just decided to hang up.

After renewing OnStar yesterday I decided to make the dreaded call to XM. To my surprise they told me that when my complimentary service ends in late January, I am set to automatically renew at a combined (XM & NavTraffic) price of $110 for the year! That's better than I had before. I wanted to prepay, but was told that I would get an invoice in the mail at expiration and would have to pay that way. Don't ask me why they weren't willing to take my money in advance.

So we'll see if this all pans out because if it does it looks like I got an even better deal and it may even make the aggravation I went through worth it.

I'll still dread having to call them to renew the next time.

Douglas Rome is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-4 3.0 Base sedan black/black

hawks fan, see my previous post; On* $199 15mos. had to go to retentions dept
    to get it. that was about a month after signing on for $199 12mos, I saw it somewhere
    and made the phone call told them the story and they said okay, gave us another
    3mos. they asked where I saw it I said this forum and they said okay. thanks, Douglas

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Rome View Post
    hawks fan, see my previous post; On* $199 15mos. had to go to retentions dept
    to get it. that was about a month after signing on for $199 12mos, I saw it somewhere
    and made the phone call told them the story and they said okay, gave us another
    3mos. they asked where I saw it I said this forum and they said okay. thanks, Douglas
    Thanks, but I believe the $199 though is the Safe and Sound package from what I can remember. That includes Crash response, stolen vehicle recovery and the ability to use the OnStar app to lock/unlock and remote start the car. Adding navigation features is the Directions and Connections.

----------

Here you go....

https://www.onstar.com/web/portal/planspricing?g=1

Douglas Rome is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-4 3.0 Base sedan black/black

ooops, you're right, it is $299, I had a senior moment. Anyway, insert $299 for 15mos.
    I don't know if that's the best deal out there but the three extra months seemed like
    a good deal to me at the time. thanks, douglas

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.