Tire pressure monitor WAY off when cold
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Tire pressure monitor WAY off when cold in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I have this issue with my 2010 CTS Wagon every time it gets cold (like the past week in Colorado ...
    seasar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS wagon

Tire pressure monitor WAY off when cold

I have this issue with my 2010 CTS Wagon every time it gets cold (like the past week in Colorado with temps near 0 f). The pressure in my tires is 35+ and the system reads 30-31 per tire...consequently the low tire pressure alarm is always on.
    I trust my handheld gauge and the system matches when it isn't frigid.
    I know of the hidden Navi screen but I can't figure out how to use the tire pressure tuning screen and can't find instructions on the internet.
    At this point I'd be happy just being able to turn the thing off in the winter months...it adds no value if it is also telling me I have four flats.
    I don't want to overinflate my tires in the winter, and harm the ride and traction, just to shut the thing up.
    I am still on the original tires and wheels but the car is out of warranty.

Anyone else have and fix this problem?

Thanks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Pdabs is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS4
    Did you check your tire pressure with handheld when it's frigid?

You do realize that as temperature drops so does the pressure in your tires. So if you're at recommended during an average 65 degree day.... You're tires will have less pressure on a frigid day, but as you drove the tires will go back to normal pressure as heat builds up.

Panzer Leader is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS 3.6 V6 RWD Performance Sedan

Re: Tire pressure monitor WAY off when cold

The tire pressure monitoring system is off. Same on my G8... Never reads the same as the handheld gauge.

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Generally accept 1 psi per 10 degrees F (up or down, accordingly); it sounds as your TPMS is functioning properly.
    928S likes this.

toolman8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1929 Cadillac 341B sedan, CTS4 3.6 Performance Wagon

I am having the exact same problem. After my fiasco with flat tires, broken sensors, and warning lights on Thanksgiving, I was driving today and it told me I had ANOTHER flat. Pulled over immediately hoping to not have to buy another $300 tire and found all four tires still round and holding air. Scrolled through the menu and saw that right front was 30, rears were both 33, and left front was 26. OK, fair enough, get air at next exit. Fill it up using my hand-held gauge, left front now reads 32 on the hand-held gauge and just to be safe, I checked the rest by hand, too. Right front reads 31 on the hand-held, rears are about 32-33, but dashboard now says right front is 36, left front is 29, and the warning light is still on. I only filled the left front, but somehow the right front got 6 more PSI? It's been consistently cold here, and I double-checked them all at Thanksgiving, so all my current pressures are at current temperatures (mid-20s), not leftover from warmer weather so I can't attribute it to the cold. The system just doesn't work very well in the cold.

PLEASE, can I get rid of this crap? I know it's mandated by the Feds and all, but is there a way to get rid of it without dealing with the warning lights on the dash? Or am I stuck with the old electrical tape solution? My dissatisfaction with this car and its technology only grows.

Espi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium

I live in FLA and just went through this. The responses I got in my thread on this forum was to fill each tire to 37 PSI (I have 19" Summer performance tires and the recommended PSI per tire is 35). I bought a digital gauge from Target and inflated each tire to 37 PSI (warning light had indicated each tire was underinflated).

The light shut off after that.

If the light still comes on, I would visit the dealer as a last resort.

calif phil is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

If you have your tires rotated most shops do not reset the TPMS to read the correct wheel position so the RF sensor could now be on the LF and so on.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

The monthly report I get from ON* shows air pressure much different from the DIC and the DIC never matches my hand held gauge. I wonder if a nitrogen fill would help.

Cougar281 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Silverado Duramax, 95 Cougar, 2010 CTS4 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by C "T" ess View Post
    The monthly report I get from ON* shows air pressure much different from the DIC and the DIC never matches my hand held gauge. I wonder if a nitrogen fill would help.
    I doubt it would hurt, but I wouldn't pay extra for it. If you can get it for free, go for it. Otherwise, just keep an eye on your pressures and fill as needed.

FWIW, my DIC shows all tires within 1psi of what my mechanical gauge says, and the TPMS in my truck has always been accurate as well. It's about 20*F here now.

As far as disabling the system without any warnings, what I've heard of some people doing is having the sensors removed, putting them in an airtight 'pressure vessel' and pumping it up to the expected pressure and sticking it under a seat or somewhere otherwise out of the way.

HR-cts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS4 wagon 3.6

"...Anyone else have and fix this problem?..."

Yes, pump up your tires - WHEN COLD - to whatever it says on the door or door jamb sticker, and ignore the TPM.
    ALWAYS walk around the vehicle before you get in and visually check the tires to make sure they look inflated - do this ALL THE TIME, Winter, Summer, Fall, Spring...!

Get a piece of black electric tape and place over the warning light.

seasar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS wagon
    I inflated to the recommended pressures when it was 10F and the tires were cold (car had been sitting). TPMS still reads low...on the Cadillac it isn't just a warning light as it also has a digital readout on the dash that I typically have set to indicate speed.
    So besides the always on dash light I have to acknowledge the alarm 6 times every time I start the car. That's ridiculous. Why would I ever trust this system in the winter to identify a flat tire!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

HR-cts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS4 wagon 3.6

well. in that case i would pop over to the garage and have them re-set the system so that it doesn't come on if the tires are inflated to proper pressure.
    can't be all that expensive or time consuming.

t5mika is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

I was stumped with the same thing because I was being dumb. In cold mornings my left rear was showing 29psi. I set it to spec, drove around and still 29. Afternoon the warning went away with warmer weather. It took me a couple of weeks to realize the the tires were rotated and the sensors were not reset. It was the left front that was really at 29psi. I set all tires to 35 at 70 degrees (as I should've done from the start), and no warnings since then. The pressure (and the reading) drops to 31psi when the weather is in the low 30s.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

I rotate my tires myself. I don't bother with the TPMS. When I check one tire I check them all. The readout on my dash is only an indicator...you can't beat checking your tires with a good quality gauge yourself. Money and time well spent.

Wolfster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS4 3.6DI

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    I rotate my tires myself. I don't bother with the TPMS. When I check one tire I check them all. The readout on my dash is only an indicator...you can't beat checking your tires with a good quality gauge yourself. Money and time well spent.
    I agree...it is money and time well spent. I use the TPMS for a guide sometimes, but usually check pressure myself and I have a compressor in my garage also.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.