Horrible Gas Mileage 10 AWD 3.6 Wagon
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Horrible Gas Mileage 10 AWD 3.6 Wagon in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I just purchased an used 10 AWD 3.6 wagon and my gas mileage has been horrible so far. I purchased ...
    1772jamie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Horrible Gas Mileage 10 AWD 3.6 Wagon

I just purchased an used 10 AWD 3.6 wagon and my gas mileage has been horrible so far. I purchased the car in Seattle area but found out that the car actually came out of Canada. I live in Oregon at an elevation of about 3000'. Does it take time for the ECU to recalibrate to my elevation, etc? I have driven the car back over to the Valley area which requires going over a mountain pass. That entire trip I didn't get over 20 MPG. Here in town I am averaging about 12.5. The best the dash has read is 13.5. While I know the AWD is going to use some gas, I feel I should be getting closer to 16. I'd ask my local dealer but any time I ask them something about the car they tell me "that's just how it is". I am going to change the filter and plugs soon so I'll see if that makes any difference. I am also used to running premium fuel as all my other cars require it. I noticed reading the manual for this car that GM only wants regular fuel. Can that make a difference? I have been putting in premium. Next tank I am going to try regular and see if there is any difference. Thanks in advance for the input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Re: Horrible Gas Mileage 10 AWD 3.6 Wagon

You've waded into the most 'emotionally charged' topic on the forum. Seems that everyone's MPG does vary. There are so many data points that cause low/high mileage. Air pressure being correct, tire type, seasonal gas and how heavy your right foot is, are the main contributors.

I live at 6500' here in CO and by not hot footing it, can get 18 city and up to 26 Hwy with an average of at least 23 or so. I suggest that you drive around with your DIC in the instant MPG mode to 'see' how different things effect your MPG. Any hill will kill your MPG, as will stop and go traffic.

I'm not saying your hot footing it, but if you want decent MPG you will need to drive with the 'egg' under your right foot! Read the various posts on MPG and you will see what I mean.

Good Luck, Marv

1772jamie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

thank you Marv. I have been watching the instant and it does fluctuate quite a bit but we don't have that many hills where I am at and I have been keeping my foot out of it. I did see the other threads after posting mine. I will do the "tune up" and see what happens. Thanks for the quick response

MD_Coupe is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe Premium getting 12 mpg
    Quote Originally Posted by 1772jamie
    thank you Marv. I have been watching the instant and it does fluctuate quite a bit but we don't have that many hills where I am at and I have been keeping my foot out of it. I did see the other threads after posting mine. I will do the "tune up" and see what happens. Thanks for the quick response
    Please update us with your findings post tune up. I don't see it doing anything but if it does a lot of people on here are going to praise your name.

reciprocity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2009 CTS Premium (RWD w/3.6DI & FE2)

This is pretty obvious, but I'll say it just in case: be sure to reset the mileage calculation so you're not averaging in the previous owner's mileage. Also, I've noticed my mileage computer is always somewhat off. If you're really looking carefully at the fuel economy, be sure to calculate it manually for a few tanks to make sure you know what you're really getting.

On my RWD 3.6 DI, I've averaged 20.6 MPG overall after 56,000 miles. I very consistently get 18-19 MPG in stop-and-go city traffic and 24 MPG on flat freeway drives, always running regular unleaded. You really shouldn't need to use premium, so that will help reduce your fuel costs immediately.

All that being said, these are heavy luxury sedans that are meant for performance driving and the AWD system does negatively affect the mileage. If you want great gas mileage, check out a Volt, a Lacrosse eAssist, or even a Spark EV.

hauler is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 base CTS Sportwagon

Unless the CPU controlling ignition is optimizing for max instantaneous advance while listening for piston ("spark") knock, using higher octane is a waste of fuel and money. An engine that is timed for 87 octane can't take advantage of the slower flame front provided by higher octane fuels.

PS I use 87 octane, since that's what the engine was designed to use. When I fill the tank at a station with only 89 or higher ethanol laced fuel, I notice the mileage is slightly worse and so is the performance, which offsets the lower (to the consumer) cost at the pumps. Of course the pump cost is only lower because of a taxpayer subsidy, so ethanol is indeed a waste of money twice over, but try and get congress to do something about it.
    The_Judge likes this.

yatesd is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD Thunder Gray Chromaflair/Ebony

Reciprocity at least made a great suggestion...reset the DIC. I would reset the DIC (by holding down on the mileage) and then drive it on the highway and confirm the updated average.

I average 22-23MPG mainly highway driving. It does seem to drop off with the Winter fuel blends.

Edit: Also, what is the current mileage? If it is out of Canada, is there anything special about Canadian models (metric readings, additional environmental stuff, etc.)? Maybe someone else from Canada can comment.

deleted

KYFootDoc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Word

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Your comments are yours and you are entitled to state them here and on any other topic on this forum. It is your lack of decorum and the way you deliver your message that tends to get people riled up and in the past; banned from the forum. Remember we are here to share information even if you don't agree with it.
    Mtech likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by C "T" ess
    Your comments are yours and you are entitled to state them here and on any other topic on this forum. It is your lack of decorum and the way you deliver your message that tends to get people riled up and in the past; banned from the forum. Remember we are here to share information even if you don't agree with it.
    deleted.

waltertaucher is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Sport Wagon

i also have a 2010 awd wagon / premium and i did buy it for the practicality of the car, it's awesome looks , and it's performance. I too wish it did not take so much of the driver's efforts to get a reasonable mpg, but for what it is, that i can get reasonable mpg on regular fuel if i try. I am still very happy with my CTS. I had considered a V but in Seattle we have more bad weather day than good weather, and the AWD is a nice feature.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Feel the love.
    gohawks63 likes this.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium

Can we at least refrain from the name calling?

What I believe it comes down to is that a small percentage of the awd cars have some type of defect that needs to be addressed. The million dollar question is are there enough units to warrant GM to do something about it or is it so few that we are all on our own with our 200 mile per tank defects.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.