Horrible Gas Mileage 10 AWD 3.6 Wagon - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Like Tree14Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Horrible Gas Mileage 10 AWD 3.6 Wagon in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; It is weird how some folks get decent mileage and others don't. One of life's little mysteries. And the beat ...
    tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Re: Horrible Gas Mileage 10 AWD 3.6 Wagon

It is weird how some folks get decent mileage and others don't.

One of life's little mysteries. And the beat goes on...

RobF300 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan HIS, 2012 CTS4 coupe- Her's

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    It is weird how some folks get decent mileage and others don't.

One of life's little mysteries. And the beat goes on...
    some are full of crap, lol
    Koooop likes this.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Yes, LOL.

Douglas Rome is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-4 3.0 Base sedan 2nd owner bought used 22Kmi

earlier I reported Linda got 22-23mpg, well, wrong and I'm embarrassed for saying, but in my
    defense, I took her word for it thinking she knew how to calculate. after I made my post I asked her
    to write down her miles next time she got gas, she always zeros trip A, well, she didn't do it, said it
    was too cold to worry about miles. So I said next time you need gas tell me and I'll get your gas
    for you, which I did yesterday. As the gallons clicked by on the pump I knew right away that
    20mpg wasn't going to happen, it ended up at 16-1/2mpg. That's figuring it out the old fashioned
    way. thanks, douglas

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

Ha! Yesterday my wife, who has a B.A. in English, graduated cum laude from UCLA, and is really quite smart, was trying to figure out how to cut down a recipe. As written, it calls for 2 pounds of shrimp and serves 6; she wanted to know how much shrimp to buy for 2 servings. She couldn't do it! I was laughing so hard I nearly peed my pants. But it's not a gender thing -- my sister has a PhD in astrophysics! (But she can't cook.)

Bottom Line: always do the math yourself -- far too many Americans are math challenged and can't handle even simple arithmetic.

Jorf is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon 3.6L AWD Premium

After returning from my trip to northern NY, my round trip average mileage was 20.9 MPG over 1366 miles (98% highway, 2% city, we went to the movies one night... and that's all the city driving there was).
    There was no snow on any of the drive, but it was raining for the ~650 miles going to NY.

When I take it in for my oil change, I'm going to ask if there's anything my dealership can suggest.

Did you calculate that manually (i.e., do the math yourself) or was that what the DIC reported?

Tom-C is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS 4 Sport Wagon

I keep track of my mileage, gas used and costs (including repairs) and have just done the 2013 numbers for my 2012 CTS4 Premium Wagon (that I bought new in Sept 2013). no really long trips and mostly around town in the Washington DC metro area.

Actual mileage = 3001
    Gas used 156.7 gallons
    Cost = $516.92
    MPG = 19.2
    Costs per mile $.17

All in a car that looks great, goes around a comer really fast and can snap my head back when I step on it (that I do way too often). I am happy.

I did just start using mid-grade gasoline and will check my MPG and costs per mile in about 3000 miles or so and see if there is any benefit

mightypizu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon 3.6 AWD, Crystal Red
    '10 Wagon AWD 39k miles
    DIC 18.5 mpg
    I'd say at least 75% highway if not more.
    I usually cruise around 70.
    I get on it (floor it) at least 3-5 times a week.
    Constantly check tire pressure.
    Mobil 1.
    I ran seafoam in it over Summer
    Next fill I'll update my calculated miles

265miles/16 gallons. 16.5mpg
    301/16.6. 18mpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

einman33 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I notice the MPG is calculated while car is warming up/idle. Obviously that hurts the average. Or at least mine drops while at idle significantly after I reset the counter so all the zeros really impact things. I guess since fuel is consumed it needs to...

CTSPiper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS4 3.6L AWD Sportwagon

My 2010 CTS4 Premium Wagon (odometer 38,700 mi.) driven from Houston, TX to Southern CA average speed set to 74 mph (1,800 rpm) flat interstate averaged 23.5 mpg using regular (14-17 mpg mixed driving). My 2000 Audi A4 2.8L alloy V-6, AWD wagon that my CTS replaced got similar mileage when new.

The Audi actually got better mileage starting at 87K miles because the Mobil 1 synthetic is such a good oil, that it took that long for the engine to "break in" where engine tolerances allowed reduced friction and better mileage. I suspect the CTS may do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Judge View Post
    Did you calculate that manually (i.e., do the math yourself) or was that what the DIC reported?
    DIC was 20.9 mpg, hand calculated came out to 20.8.
    When I mind calculated it I came out with 20.9, which is why I only said the one number, but I guess the calculator got me one decimal different. Oh well.

Still, I'd really like to believe this car is capable of 15/21/24, at the least.

Thanks, Jorf. I've never compared the DIC to the "real" calculation. I've always assumed it was accurate, but some have suggested otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Judge View Post
    Thanks, Jorf. I've never compared the DIC to the "real" calculation. I've always assumed it was accurate, but some have suggested otherwise.
    Mine has seemed to be FAIRLY close. The biggest discrepancy that I saw was during some city driving, and I filled up at a different gas station than usual. Because of that, I assumed that what really happened is that this other gas station had their fill sensors set much more sensitively, and I couldn't get quite as much gas in the tank, so it made the actual calculation seem like my MPG was much better than the DIC.

It's usually +- 0.2 mpg, which is pretty good, and within the error of my method of filling my tank.

fps_dean is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS 3.6 DI AWD

I got my CTS this summer and for what it's worth I was getting 24 on the read out when it was above 40 in the morning, but when it got below 40 when I was starting it my mileage went to around 17-18.5 mpg on the read out (which often involves remote starting too). When I check at the pump, I usually marginally better than the readout says but fairly close (maybe .5 - .7 better tops on a full tank).

It's fairly normal to get worse winter mileage, but it seems the DI engines are much more susceptible to cold temperatures, much more like a carbureted engine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.