Horrible Gas Mileage 10 AWD 3.6 Wagon - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Horrible Gas Mileage 10 AWD 3.6 Wagon in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; 200 miles per tank?! That's what I'm getting with V....
    gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium

Re: Horrible Gas Mileage 10 AWD 3.6 Wagon

200 miles per tank?! That's what I'm getting with V.

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

A Cadillac CTS with poor mileage? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you! Round up the usual suspects!

Although the DIC on my 2008 CTS 3.6DI once reported that I got 30 MPG on a round trip from Hermosa Beach to Bishop, California, about 560 miles from sea level to 5000 feet and back, I never again came close to that in either my 2008 or my current 2011 CTS 3.6DI. On some long trips on the freeway the DIC reports about 22 to 24, but it's much worse in town, sometimes as low as 13 MPG when I'm doing only short trips (this town is all of 1.3 square miles).

I have the OnStar Remote Link app on my iPhone. It indicates that I've driven my 2011 CTS a total of 14,318 miles, and that the car's lifetime gas mileage is a whopping 17 MPG.

BTW, I second the comments about using 87 octane in the car. The higher the octane rating, the more the vaporized fuel can be compressed without igniting. That's important in regular gasoline engines -- premature ignition of the fuel causes knock and a loss of power. However, using fuel with an octane rating above 87 is a waste of money in the CTS because of the way the car's direct injection engine works. Fuel is sprayed into the combustion chamber under extremely high pressure at precisely the moment of intended ignition -- unlike in a standard gasoline engine, the fuel and air mixture is not further compressed before it explodes. Consequently, the ability of higher octane fuels to be compressed more than lower octane fuels without igniting prematurely is lost and completely irrelevant. Don't waste your money -- understand how the car works.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Quote Originally Posted by MD_Coupe View Post
    What I believe it comes down to is that a small percentage of the awd cars have some type of defect that needs to be addressed. The million dollar question is are there enough units to warrant GM to do something about it or is it so few that we are all on our own with our 200 mile per tank defects.
    Have you filed with the NHTSB (I believe that's it)? Why not rally a group to all file with them? You can be their leader and they can be your parrots.
    C "T" ess likes this.

MrHolland is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Clean it up and play nice or "more" people will be given a break from the site!!

MD_Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe Premium 11 MPG COMBINED...No Fix
    Quote Originally Posted by tinman
    Have you filed with the NHTSB (I believe that's it)? Why not rally a group to all file with them? You can be their leader and they can be your parrots.
    Hmmm...my own legion of parrots....

Step by step. I'm taking her in next week so the issue can be documented and see if they have any solutions. I'm pretty optimistic it'll get worked out. I mean at 200 miles per tank that's literally supercar consumption rates as evidenced by GoHawks post. I either want the mpg I should be getting or the hp to warrant such thirst. As she sits she is lacking in both. At least she is oozing in sexy.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

I do have to agree that there is a problem here. Too many AWD drivers with poor MPG. Other manufacturers have gotten in major trouble - why not GM in this case?

RAB
    RAB is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

For the record my AWD '11 CTS Premium gets poor gas mileage. The RWD '09 CTS Premium I owned for 2+ years was significantly better, in both city and highway driving. I've noticed my '11 AWD car has a higher rolling resistance as compared to my previous '09 RWD car. I know this by simply putting the transmission in neutral and trying to push the car. My '09 RWD could be pushed along quite easily; my '11 AWD is much more difficult to move. I'm guessing this greater rolling resistance is attributable to the transaxle. Maybe some of the [BorgWarner-supplied] transaxles applied to AWD CTS's don't run as freely as they could/should. Added drag, however caused, will negatively affect fuel mileage. I plan to talk to the dealer about this on my next visit.

Link to BorgWarner transaxle info sheet (Aug 2007 press release): http://www.mediafire.com/view/sb5b74...2008%20CTS.pdf

Cebader@gmail.com is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Wagon

......as to your gas mileage...i think keeping your injectors clean.is very important......add a good fuel injector cleaner additive to your full gas tank with the 3.6 at least every oil change or say 5-7,000 miles.... I've also been told that yes...all gasoline is basically coming from the same place but that Chevron adds their own carb/injector cleaner additive into their gasoline...sounds good! That may be a good regular fix...
    also...run a clean air filter ...it all helps the health and efficiency . Somebody asked about Oil usage...1 qt.is not uncomon for the 3.6 engine to use between changes..That's what my Caddy factory mechanic said..some more than others..and that it's not a problem unless you don't keep it topped up to no more than approx. 1 qt. low..
    The rest is just have fun and don't get caught doing it.

RAB

^ Okay, well damn - there's the answer for all of us who have AWD and poor gas mileage. Mystery solved, job done.
    I gotta clean the injectors on my '11 CTS that has 16,000 KMs (10,000 miles) on the odometer. That'll solve the problem.
    snofun3 and MD_Coupe like this.

snofun3 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS4

My '08 CTS4 3.6 likewise consumed horrendous amounts of fuel. 16-17 in town, 22 on open road. It would have been OK if there was the performance to go along with it, but it just OK. Try an Infiniti 3.6 and see how much difference there is in both performance and fuel economy. Having had a lot of Caddy loaners (far too many) for that garage queen, and many Hertz rentals, I know that the "performance" of mine wasn't lower than normal, but it's fuel consumption was abysmal.
    Like owning a boat, the best day with that car was when it went away.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by MD_Coupe View Post
    Hmmm...my own legion of parrots....

Step by step. I'm taking her in next week so the issue can be documented and see if they have any solutions. I'm pretty optimistic it'll get worked out. I mean at 200 miles per tank that's literally supercar consumption rates as evidenced by GoHawks post. I either want the mpg I should be getting or the hp to warrant such thirst. As she sits she is lacking in both. At least she is oozing in sexy.
    With your mouth and attitude I'm sure the dealer will jump to attention and work tirelessly until they have met all of your demands. After all, if they told you it was normal, they would be parrots wouldn't they.

Douglas Rome is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-4 3.0 Base sedan 2nd owner bought used 22Kmi

I'll throw in my two cents, linda gets 22-23mpg city; I don't believe the DIC, the proof is in
    the pudding, do it the old fashioned way, miles driven divided by gals, simple simon, easy
    peasy. our friend from Maryland does have a point. thanks, Douglas

RAB

^ Well that's interesting Douglas, in that you claim your wife gets 22-23 mpg in city-only driving with a 2011 CTS4. That's an incredible (incredulous) 4-5 mpg greater than the official government fuel economy rating ("city") for the car for both the 3.6L and the 3.0L engine. In the city where you live there mustn't be any stop signs or traffic lights, and similarly no stop & go traffic.
    Not sure if anyone here has ever talked about poor gas mileage with their 3.0L equipped CTS4, which is apparently the engine in your wife's car. This thread (and several others like it that discuss poor gas mileage) center around the high-feature 3.6L engine, particularly when paired with AWD.

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

Perhaps she drives only downhill....
    RAB likes this.

sliderule01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Wagon

I have a 2010 AWD wagon with the 3.0. When I got the car with 12K miles on it, it got very bad mileage (12-14). I had a very short commute of 3 miles with about 600 ft elevation changes both ways. On the first couple of trips on the highway at about 70 mph average, I got 22-24. I used premium fuel and achieved slightly better mileage, enough to warrant the higher cost on trips. I did this multiple times, to prove that it was statistically significant(about 30 tanks each). As the car got driven more, the car got better mileage, and consistently better range. This is even with my foot in it. I can now get 475-500 miles consistently on a tank of gas on the highway, or about 26-28 mpg. In city driving, when I am commuting back and forth to work (3 miles each way) I get about 16-18 mph. That is line with the EPA mileage - which is notoriously high. There are other luxury cars that get better mileage - the Chrysler 300 with the V6 gets about 31 mpg, but I am happy with the car overall.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.