What PSI do you guys maintain? 19" Summer Only Tires
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, What PSI do you guys maintain? 19" Summer Only Tires in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; My tire pressure light has been on for the past few days. I have a 2011 CTS Premium Summer Tire ...
    Espi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium

What PSI do you guys maintain? 19" Summer Only Tires

My tire pressure light has been on for the past few days. I have a 2011 CTS Premium Summer Tire Performance Package.

I'm going to inflate the tires myself so that I can shut off the Tire Pressure Warning Light but first want to see what PSI you guys are maintaining for the Summer Tires. From what I understand the PSI recommendations listed in the door are for standard tires.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kingtj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe, Premium edition

Re: What PSI do you guys maintain? 19" Summer Only Tires

Good question....

I'm not really sure what's optimal for these, but on my car, I tend to try to fill them to around 35PSI. I find if they get anywhere below about 32, the car feels less "crisp" in handling. I've also noticed that when I use the air compressor Cadillac included with the car, the gauge reads about 2PSI higher than what the car itself tells me the tires are inflated to right afterwards.

Checked the door and to my surprise it DOES include PSI for 19" tires--35 PSI.

I bought a digital gauge and the reading is about 2 PSI lower on the Caddy DSI.

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

MINIMUM of 35 psi, measured when cold (i.e., car sitting in the garage overnight). I usually bump them to 37 psi, which gives me a margin as they tend to lose pressure over time, maybe about a pound every week or so. Anything under 35 PSI and the car handles poorly, IMHO. I'm following the same procedure with my new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's, which are all-season tires (and they handle and ride great, much better in both respects than the Contis that came with the car).

BTW, I can't believe you allowed the tires to get so low that the warning light came on. There's nothing more important to your safety -- and that of your family, friends, and others on the road -- than your tires! The pressure is easy enough to check by pressing the upper right button on the DIC. It's a very good habit to get into. Also, running tires below pressure will cause them to wear out much sooner, if not fail all together.
    tinman and MoFex like this.

Hey Judge I appreciate your answering my question--I don't need your approval or your sanctimonious lecture about The Deadly Impact of Low Tire Pressure
    on Family, Friends, & The World at Large.

If you're gonna lecture car owners, I suggest you write an essay cautioning the forum about speeding or drunken driving.

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

You're right -- I apologize. Let me restate my point: Anyone who neglects one of the most fundamental maintenance and safety aspect of their vehicle, as you apparently have, should have their driver's license taken away and their car impounded and sold for scrap.
    C "T" ess and MoFex like this.

mcneill8328 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, Premium Pkg
    If I'm not mistaken, the low pressure warning is just that, a warning. It doesn't come on when your tires are dangerously low, to the point of causing an accident. It comes on to warn you before there is a problem. Also judge, I've said it before in another post and I'll say it again here...I have no idea how you are losing a pound a week in tire pressure. I haven't checked my tire pressure since I have owned the car, which has been well over a year. I think by your estimates, I'd be running on flat tires by now. I don't disagree with your statement about the importance of tire pressure, I just think the way you stated it to the OP was a bit dramatic. He isn't putting anyone in danger by the way he is handling this situation. Just my opinion....and we all know what that's worth.
    Espi likes this.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

While The_Judge is only about 7 years younger than I, let me offer the opinion of someone who began steadily wrenching on cars in mid-1953 - part time grease monkey job after school - at an outdoor AMOCO station, year 'round. No, I am not now in the automotive maintenance business - I build cars and engines for fun and profit as a retired hobby.

Back in the Dark Ages it was standard procedure for any car owner to do at least weekly underhood checks, tire pressure checks, and brake checks. Now, practically no one "maintains" a car - they simply drive it. The vehicles in question in this thread all need attention - but apparently some of them only get it when a chime, icon, or light screams "Help !". If a vehicle has a TPMS (a useless bell/whistle in my opinion) and you let IT tell you your tire pressures are low, you are guilty of normal maintenance neglect. If you ever see a low oil level warning, that's worse - not for the car - for your neglect of the car.

Given today's warning systems for everything from coolant level to tire pressure, it's no wonder that most of the motoring public knows nothing about the $75,000 hunk of steel and plastic they drive except where the key goes. You would be amazed, after many years in this site, just how many Cadillac owners have never even read their owner's manual ! You advise someone to " ......... look it up in your GM service manual or Alldata subscription" and all of a sudden you're a total jerk for recommending that someone actually learn something about their car !

How many members have actually read the Cadillac Technical Archive way up ^^^ in the black bar, or read the sticky posts at the top of the threads pages for your particular car/system/engine ?? Not many, I'll wager.
    tinman, C "T" ess and MoFex like this.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

37 psi.
    evo, hauler and Espi like this.

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

+1 on 37 psi
    Mistercoffee2 and Espi like this.

My wife's Audi runs at 42 FYI. No bearing on a Caddy, but I did find that interesting.

Mistercoffee2 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    My wife's Audi runs at 42 FYI. No bearing on a Caddy, but I did find that interesting.
    I try to keep my tires at 37 psi. The temp dropped into the 40's a few days ago and my low tire pressure warning came on. I aired them up and yesterday it was 80 and the tire pressure was well over 40 psi. My options are to wait for temp to drop or go with nitrogen.

Edit: Sorry tin man, didn't intent to respond to your post but just reply to thread.

No apologies necessary.

Quite a swing in PSI when the outside temp changes dramatically. One week ago it was 40 F here. Today it is 80F. Oh, well, the Jags have a night game tonight and I am taking my 92 year old parents, so warm is good. My Dad is getting honored at the start of the third quarter as "Veteran of the Game" on the field. 65,000 drunks and a standing ovation! That'll be neat standing at the goal line under the lights.
    MoFex likes this.

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Interesting. The V has a 32 PSI recommendation. IIRC I thought my 3.2 AWD coupe was higher than that.

Despite the recommendation, I have mine at 35 PSI.

cawengr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Performance Coupe -3.6 DI 6 Speed Manual

Back to the original question, 2011 Performance with summer only tires. The sticker on your door also specifies the tires that came with the car, so unless you changed to the summer only tires the sticker is correct. Check your tire sizes against the sticker and it should clear things up. My 2011 with performance package and summer only tires specifies 35 both front and back.
    Espi likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.