Lost Key Nightmare leads to all kinds of issues
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
Like Tree2Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Lost Key Nightmare leads to all kinds of issues in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I have a 2008 CTS/ which I love and has been flawless and I have never had any issues with ...
  1. #1
    Apostate is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    5

    Lost Key Nightmare leads to all kinds of issues

    I have a 2008 CTS/ which I love and has been flawless and I have never had any issues with it. Last week I lost my keys,had no backup and had to get the car towed on a flatbed to the dealer to reprogram a new key fob for me. When I went to pick the car up they said the the ABS/Stabilitrak/Traction Control/ lights were all lit up on the driver control screen and indeed they were. They also said they tested the car and felt nothing unusual (!) I called the tow truck guys and they said all they did was remove the center console to get the car in neutral to get it on the flatbed. I have a portable OBD and when I plugged it in it said Passed/ no codes. I got charged close to $500 for the tow and the key replacement so I am really hurting now and wanted to know if anyone has any idea or direction on how to proceed or what the issue could be before I plunge in again and try to fix this.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    MoistCabbage's Avatar
    MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East Boston MA.
    Age
    26
    Posts
    18,541
    If you have warning lights on, you have codes. Some more basic scan tools can skip/ignore codes.

    Did the dealer not pull the codes?

  4. #3
    Apostate is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    5

    Re: Lost Key Nightmare leads to all kinds of issues

    Thanks for the reply. I will call again and ask and get back to you. They must have right? They said they could not identify the issue which struck me as odd. I use this dealership often and have always been happy with them (until now). And my OBD always pulled codes before.

  5. #4
    C "T" ess's Avatar
    C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tampa,FL
    Posts
    2,096

    Re: Lost Key Nightmare leads to all kinds of issues

    If there is no codes set the lights should go out after the third start cycle. You may still have soft codes but the hard codes are the ones you need to pay attention to.

  6. #5
    Cadillac Cust Svc's Avatar
    Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,238

    Re: Lost Key Nightmare leads to all kinds of issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Apostate View Post
    I have a 2008 CTS/ which I love and has been flawless and I have never had any issues with it. Last week I lost my keys,had no backup and had to get the car towed on a flatbed to the dealer to reprogram a new key fob for me. When I went to pick the car up they said the the ABS/Stabilitrak/Traction Control/ lights were all lit up on the driver control screen and indeed they were. They also said they tested the car and felt nothing unusual (!) I called the tow truck guys and they said all they did was remove the center console to get the car in neutral to get it on the flatbed. I have a portable OBD and when I plugged it in it said Passed/ no codes. I got charged close to $500 for the tow and the key replacement so I am really hurting now and wanted to know if anyone has any idea or direction on how to proceed or what the issue could be before I plunge in again and try to fix this.
    Hello Apostate,

    I apologize for the vehicle trouble you have experienced. If you would like to further discuss your situation with us, please send a private message. Include your full contact information, VIN, current mileage and the dealer name and location. We look forward to hearing from you.

    Sincerely,

    Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

  7. #6
    Apostate is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    5

    Re: Lost Key Nightmare leads to all kinds of issues

    The lights are still on and the OBD still says PASS. Wouldn't I be able to feel if the ABS and the traction control were out? Wouldn't the car drive vastly different? I can't contact the dealer until tomorrow
    because of my work schedule.

  8. #7
    Cadillac Cust Svc's Avatar
    Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,238

    Re: Lost Key Nightmare leads to all kinds of issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Apostate View Post
    The lights are still on and the OBD still says PASS. Wouldn't I be able to feel if the ABS and the traction control were out? Wouldn't the car drive vastly different? I can't contact the dealer until tomorrow
    because of my work schedule.
    Hi Apostate,

    Have you been able to contact your dealer about this concern yet? Please let me know and send me a private message if you would like my assistance.

    Regards,

    Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

  9. #8
    CarlosZ06's Avatar
    CarlosZ06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe 2011 / Z06 C5
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    GDL, Mexico!
    Posts
    31

    Re: Lost Key Nightmare leads to all kinds of issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Hi Apostate,

    Have you been able to contact your dealer about this concern yet? Please let me know and send me a private message if you would like my assistance.

    Regards,

    Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care
    Laura, I wish we had customer service in Mexico as good as the one you have there on the USA =/

  10. #9
    Cadillac Cust Svc's Avatar
    Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,238

    Re: Lost Key Nightmare leads to all kinds of issues

    Quote Originally Posted by CarlosZ06 View Post
    Laura, I wish we had customer service in Mexico as good as the one you have there on the USA =/
    Hello CarlosZ06,

    I apologize if you are experiencing any vehicle concerns or trouble while working with the Cadillac Customer Assistance team in Mexico. We are primarily set up to assist customers based in the United States, but if you ever need to make contact with the Customer Assistance team in your home market, I can direct you to their contact information.

    Sincerely,

    Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

  11. #10
    CarlosZ06's Avatar
    CarlosZ06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe 2011 / Z06 C5
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    GDL, Mexico!
    Posts
    31

    Re: Lost Key Nightmare leads to all kinds of issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Hello CarlosZ06,

    I apologize if you are experiencing any vehicle concerns or trouble while working with the Cadillac Customer Assistance team in Mexico. We are primarily set up to assist customers based in the United States, but if you ever need to make contact with the Customer Assistance team in your home market, I can direct you to their contact information.

    Sincerely,

    Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care
    this is exactly what im talking about, the mere fact that you are on an online forum trying to please customers, talks great about the brand, at least in US, here, after the sale is done, you dont get to hear from anybody from cadillac ever again, unless you go directly to the dealership to complain about something. Im sorry for hijacking this thread but iŽll ask you one fast question, my cts coupe 2011 has 30k kms on it and i wanted to buy the warranty extension but the service representative told me that they could only sell it to me only for the first 20 months after i purchased it, is that right or they just want to clean their hands?


    thanks a lot!

  12. #11
    Cougar281 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Silverado Duramax, 95 Cougar, 2010 CTS4 Premium
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    St Charles, MO
    Age
    33
    Posts
    136
    Basic consumer scanners will generally tell you squat about abs codes. They generally can only scan the ecm/pcm. Not even a TCM, let alone the ebcm. You need something higher end than what places like autozone have. The OBD pass/fail is a function of the engine controller only.

  13. #12
    Cadillac Cust Svc's Avatar
    Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,238

    Re: Lost Key Nightmare leads to all kinds of issues

    Quote Originally Posted by CarlosZ06 View Post
    this is exactly what im talking about, the mere fact that you are on an online forum trying to please customers, talks great about the brand, at least in US, here, after the sale is done, you dont get to hear from anybody from cadillac ever again, unless you go directly to the dealership to complain about something. Im sorry for hijacking this thread but iŽll ask you one fast question, my cts coupe 2011 has 30k kms on it and i wanted to buy the warranty extension but the service representative told me that they could only sell it to me only for the first 20 months after i purchased it, is that right or they just want to clean their hands?


    thanks a lot!
    Hello CarlosZ06,

    I am unable to confirm this for you, as Mexico might have different protocol on warranty extensions and extended service contracts than General Motors in the United States. I see you already spoke with one service representative, but I recommend contacting another local dealership for a second opinion to confirm this for you.

    Sincerely,

    Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care
    CarlosZ06 likes this.

  14. #13
    C "T" ess's Avatar
    C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tampa,FL
    Posts
    2,096

    Re: Lost Key Nightmare leads to all kinds of issues

    Turn off stabilitrak and abs and put the car in sport mode. If the lights go out then you do have a problem most likely a sensor. If the lights remain on, then it's probably a BCM problem.

  15. #14
    Macca's Avatar
    Macca is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3

    Re: Lost Key Nightmare leads to all kinds of issues

    Sounds like an auto electrical fault to me rather than a 'real' problem. Can you get a second opinion?

  16. #15
    CarlosZ06's Avatar
    CarlosZ06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe 2011 / Z06 C5
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    GDL, Mexico!
    Posts
    31

    Re: Lost Key Nightmare leads to all kinds of issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Hello CarlosZ06,

    I am unable to confirm this for you, as Mexico might have different protocol on warranty extensions and extended service contracts than General Motors in the United States. I see you already spoke with one service representative, but I recommend contacting another local dealership for a second opinion to confirm this for you.

    Sincerely,

    Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care
    Thanks a lot Laura, unfortunately, there is only one dealer in my town, so i will have to call to another one in other state to confirm that! anyway, seriously, thanks!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting