2008 Cadillac CTS RWD Engine Replacement Vin 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2008 Cadillac CTS RWD Engine Replacement Vin 7 in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I need to replace the engine in my 2008 Cadillac CTS RWD. The engine code on the VIN is 7. ...
    squeekyeagle is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

2008 Cadillac CTS RWD Engine Replacement Vin 7

I need to replace the engine in my 2008 Cadillac CTS RWD. The engine code on the VIN is 7. Im looking up engines and I see a lot of CTS/STS engines for sale with engine code V. It looks like the "V" is for an AWD vehicle. My question is this...Will the engine code V work for the 7? It is the 3.6

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cougar281 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Silverado Duramax, 95 Cougar, 2010 CTS4 Premium

Re: 2008 Cadillac CTS RWD Engine Replacement Vin 7

Vin '7' is for the LY7 3.6L SFI engine, wheras VIN 'V' is the LLT 3.6L DI engine, so no, a LLT will not work in a vehicle that had a LY7.... without MAJOR work (Harness and ECM replacement at minimum), if it would work at all.

I was afraid of that. Thanks

07cts-vee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 cts-v

What happened to your engine? 08 is pretty new to need a engine.

Quote Originally Posted by 07cts-vee
    What happened to your engine? 08 is pretty new to need a engine.
    Bottom line-it ran out of oil. The mystery is how it happened. It never smoked, garage floor is spotless and it was serviced at the dealership. Check engine light never lit up and all gauges showed normal. By the time I got suspicious and checked the oil, it was over 4 qts low and the damage was done. I suspect the dealership not putting in the synthetic I paid for but I have no way to prove it...38k miles on the engine with a thrown rod.

MKWAGON is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 AWD Sportwagon, Diamond white, 3.6 DI

What made you suspicious?

Quote Originally Posted by MKWAGON
    What made you suspicious?
    There was a slight rattle on acceleration and the oil pressure dropped to around 40

07cts-vee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 cts-v

That sucks big time. I can understand your frustration I would be pissed. Doesn't it have a low oil level warning system and if it does it doesn't sound like it worked. Might be one route to look at on getting some assistance with repairs don't know what kind of warranty you had.

Cougar281 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Silverado Duramax, 95 Cougar, 2010 CTS4 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by 07cts-vee View Post
    That sucks big time. I can understand your frustration I would be pissed. Doesn't it have a low oil level warning system and if it does it doesn't sound like it worked. Might be one route to look at on getting some assistance with repairs don't know what kind of warranty you had.
    From what I've gathered, no, it doesn't really have a low oil warning. Supposedly it can tell if its low on oil from the oil pressure somehow, but at that point, you've already started to starve the engine of oil and the damage is done. My truck has a float in the pan that will tell you before you starve the engine.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

I am truly sorry to hear this.

I am not being nasty when I say you have to check your oil levels regularly. What was the time frame from when you last checked your oil to when you discovered your problem?

Quote Originally Posted by tinman
    I am truly sorry to hear this. I am not being nasty when I say you have to check your oil levels regularly. What was the time frame from when you last checked your oil to when you discovered your problem?
    Hindsight, especially in this scenario, is 20-20. The oil was changed at approx. 36k. I didn't and still don't consider it taking a risk to not check the oil on a 38k mile vehicle that leaves no spots in the garage, never smokes, shows no warning lights, shows all normal gauge readings, and gets regular 3k services from the dealer. I do check the oils once a month in my truck which is 21 yrs old with 115k miles and my convertible which is 13 yrs old and 88k miles. It's partially my fault for trusting the dealership because we all know their quick service techs are not exactly their A squad...

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

I can't disagree with your logic. Truly sucks in a major way.

ctsclub is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Black Raven 2008 CTS SFI

Quote Originally Posted by squeekyeagle View Post
    There was a slight rattle on acceleration and the oil pressure dropped to around 40
    Not to HiJack this thread but my oil pressure in my 08 gets down to 25ish after warm up and at idle is that too low? Iv seen another thread where that is within the normal bounds for it. This is the SFI engine not the DI. Just got me worried about it now!

Acdcpsp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

Quote Originally Posted by ctsclub View Post
    Not to HiJack this thread but my oil pressure in my 08 gets down to 25ish after warm up and at idle is that too low? Iv seen another thread where that is within the normal bounds for it. This is the SFI engine not the DI. Just got me worried about it now!
    Mine does that too and I check my oil once a week and it's always full.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Just curious, if the deal had used dino oil, where would four quarts go so quickly? You say no smoking or leaking. I know the full syn or Dexos provide for better lubrication but I think there is something deeper here, like maybe the dealer never put anyoil in at all.
    Big_Jim likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.