Camaro SS vs CTS Coupe
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Camaro SS vs CTS Coupe in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Rented an SS in LA this week. First off the power was great. Reminded me here is no replacement for ...
    Ramv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Camaro SS vs CTS Coupe

Rented an SS in LA this week.

First off the power was great. Reminded me here is no replacement for displacement and 3.6 l in. 4000 lb car, especially with the AWD tall gears just doesn't cut it.

The LS3 engine sounded great starting up. The LFX sounds cool once the variable valve timing kicks in so a wash there.

Auto was bland as expected, paddle shifters but no sport mode like the CTS so a wash there as well.

Mileage was ok, 20+ mpg. CTS is a bit better.

Seats were uncomfortable. Really like the CTS seats

Heads up display was cool, and it's nice to have a trans and oil temp gauge.

Had a real key! Far superior to the CTS on this. No "key not detected" messages. Starts on command.

Wandered more than the CTS not sure if its related to being a rental or the wide 20" tires and wheels.

Overall, the CTS is a no brainer due to the AWD, but sure would love an LS3 powered version. And a key!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    I don't understand the heartburn over the keyless ignition. I have never had a problem. Not in my Acura or in the CTS and in our X5 only when the battery in the fob needed replacing. New batteries and no problem

Doesn't like phones with blue tooth. And no place to put the dam key. I think the ignition is a great storage place for the key while driving. My Ducati and the CTS are the same. Won't work if in a pocket with a phone, no place to put it if you take it out. God (or locksmith!) help you if you take them both out. Fun having to use a pay phone to get a ride when you leave your phone and key in the car and it "auto" locks you out while filling with gas.

it's a horrible idea and brings no value to the car(or motorcycle). There is only downside.

I think remote keyless entry is the pinnacle, worked great on my'05 Avalanche. If the battery dies, I use the key. If the truck battery dies, I can at least open the doors conventionally and pop the hood for a boost. Although the CTS with the manual key would work for this function, but you can't turn it over until it recognizes the key.

On the motorcycle it is the most retarded thing I have ever seen. I need the key for the fuel, the luggage or the toolkit/shock adjust, why not have a nice ignition to place it in?

It's not a deal breaker but it's the only thing I truly hate about this car. Definitely something. I will avoid in the future even if it means buying older cars.

There has to be something wrong with your car. No problems with Bluetooth, fob and phone happily co-exist and my coupe will not auto lock if I leave the key in it. I do it all the time leaving it in the cupholder while I wash it.

Key 2 almost never works. Have to do multiple lock/unlock cycles to start the car. Key 1 is fine if not near the phone. It's stupid anyway, I don't understand how it's an advantage even if it worked perfect. I prefer to put my soda in the cupholder rather than my key. Reading the Ducati boards lots of people lose their keys because they set them down while putting on helmets and ride off. I learned the phone trick from the Ducati guys (after my wife was locked out at the gas station).

I just can't understand why this is better than traditional remote entry. A key with a microchip virtually eliminates Hotwires so no security Advantage and I just don't see any other plausible gain.

Just to be clear we are in our 30s, not locked in to tradition, just type A personalities.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramv
    Key 2 almost never works. Have to do multiple lock/unlock cycles to start the car. Key 1 is fine if not near the phone. It's stupid anyway, I don't understand how it's an advantage even if it worked perfect. I prefer to put my soda in the cupholder rather than my key. Reading the Ducati boards lots of people lose their keys because they set them down while putting on helmets and ride off. I learned the phone trick from the Ducati guys (after my wife was locked out at the gas station). I just can't understand why this is better than traditional remote entry. A key with a microchip virtually eliminates Hotwires so no security Advantage and I just don't see any other plausible gain. Just to be clear we are in our 30s, not locked in to tradition, just type A personalities.
    to clarify, I put the fob in the cupholder while I'm washing the car so it doesn't lock while I wash it.

When I drive, the fob is on my pocket.
    Mistercoffee2 likes this.

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Re: Camaro SS vs CTS Coupe

When I drive the fob is also in my pocket.. and after 6 years of 2nd gen CTS ownership (3 different vehicles, all with keyless ignition) I haven't had a single issue.

neuronbob is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
    To the OP.....

You have a real key in your keyfob for if you are locked out and the battery is not working. Just pull it out and use it in the only keyhole, in the driver's door. There is also a special place in the center console for your keyfob if you don't want to carry it. If you have an issue with the "key not detected" message, that's what that center console space is for according to the manual. Just replace batteries or keep your cell phone and keyfob in separate pockets. Works for me!

That said, keyless entry is not for everyone, I guess. And IMHO the Camaro SS is more a cruiser than a sports car. Would be fun to drive a time or two in automatic form but would be better with a 6MT.

MD_Coupe is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe Premium 11 MPG COMBINED...No Fix
    No issues with key and phone as you state here. If you have to have a place to place your key while you drive instead of your pocket like the majority of us you can always place it in the ashtray like I used to do when I first got mine.

Maybe you are just too type A for the CTS

And re: your ducati...why buy a dime a dozen Italian bike you complain about? You should do what I did and buy an uber sexy 2nd gen MV Agusta F4. It has a keyed ignition, twice the looks, and 100 times the exclusivity. Plus it doesn't have that frumpy v-twin sound.

Neuron - Where is this keyhole you speak of in the door?

zen
    zen is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS CPE

Neuron - Where is this keyhole you speak of in the door?

On the coupe the keyhole is on the underside of the chrome trunk lid handle just above the license plate.

Quote Originally Posted by zen
    Neuron - Where is this keyhole you speak of in the door? On the coupe the keyhole is on the underside of the chrome trunk lid handle just above the license plate.
    This can be utilized to enter the vehicle? Also how do I get the key out of the fob? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MD_Coupe View Post
    This can be utilized to enter the vehicle? Also how do I get the key out of the fob? Thanks!
    The coupe does not have any keyholes by the doors, only one above the rear license plate to the right.

As for removing the key from the fob, if you look at the base of the fob on the side with the buttons you'll see a long thin button just above the metallic part of the fob. Push the button while pulling on that metal (base) part. It should come apart with the key.

You can use the key to open the trunk and then there are release handles in the trunk under the parcel shelf that can be pulled to open the doors in the event the battery is dead.

Again this is for the coupe. Not sure about the sedan.

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63
    The coupe does not have any keyholes by the doors, only one above the rear license plate to the right. As for removing the key from the fob, if you look at the base of the fob on the side with the buttons you'll see a long thin button just above the metallic part of the fob. Push the button while pulling on that metal (base) part. It should come apart with the key. You can use the key to open the trunk and then there are release handles in the trunk under the parcel shelf that can be pulled to open the doors in the event the battery is dead. Again this is for the coupe. Not sure about the sedan.
    Sweet! Thanks so much for the education. My dad and I were just last night wondering what would happen if the battery went dead and I told him is just be screwed!

Quote Originally Posted by MD_Coupe View Post
    Sweet! Thanks so much for the education. My dad and I were just last night wondering what would happen if the battery went dead and I told him is just be screwed!
    You're very welcome.

neuronbob is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
    Gohawks covered the coupe. On the sedan and wagon, the keyhole is on the driver's side door handle, where you'd expect it to be. Sitting in my car (parked) now and I just verified it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.