"Clunk" in Right Rear
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Joe
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, "Clunk" in Right Rear in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I have developed a "Clunk" in the right rear when going over bumps in the road.. Removed everything out of ...
    Crankpin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

"Clunk" in Right Rear

I have developed a "Clunk" in the right rear when going over bumps in the road.. Removed everything out of trunk and drove and it's still there. Sounds heavy and like something is loose. Any history out there. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Re: "Clunk" in Right Rear

If you search recent posts, you will find that this condition has been covered several times. Your symptoms are the same and the repair required will most likely be the same. So, to answer your question;yes, there is a history here.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Crankpin View Post
    I have developed a "Clunk" in the right rear when going over bumps in the road.. Removed everything out of trunk and drove and it's still there. Sounds heavy and like something is loose. Any history out there. Thanks.
    Hello Crankpin,

I apologize you are hearing a vehicle noise with your right rear. I would like the opportunity to further discuss this with you. Please contact me via private message and include your contact information, VIN and current mileage. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Joe
    Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS blk/blk

I'll save you a lot of time. I already did what you did and between this site and my mechanic we found the culprit. I could have sworn it was a bad shock; I pulled the back seat out and checked the bolts but that wasnt it. The bottom of the shock is attached to a part called the knuckle. The grommet is worn out allowing the shock to rattle. You can but the grommet with some research but I have opted to buy the knuckle and let my mechanic install it. I can pull and push on the shock but it does not move, that fooled me. Friday I had it on the lift again for an oil change and this time we twisted it and there it was loose as hell by comparison to the other side. Best of luck
    OMG likes this.

sdobert is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-4
    That is exactly it...rear knuckle, I had the passenger side done three months ago and my drivers side is getting repaired as I write this.

Quote Originally Posted by sdobert View Post
    That is exactly it...rear knuckle, I had the passenger side done three months ago and my drivers side is getting repaired as I write this.
    Hello sdobert,

I apologize for any inconvenience you've experienced while resolving your vehicle concerns. Please let us know how your current drivers side repair goes. If you have any questions you would like to further discuss, please contact us via private message so we can assist.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Mistercoffee2 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Both sides replaced on my 2008 before 50K miles for the same noise. Right side April 2012, left side July 2013.

Cadillac Cust Srv: Please, no apology for something that GM has known about for years and who't fix.

Advice to anyone thing of buying a used 2008 - 2012 CTS: Have the dealer replace both rear knuckle first.

dmeray1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Any idea how hard it is to replace said knuckles? Any idea on costs for parts.

Mistercoffee2 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by dmeray1 View Post
    Any idea how hard it is to replace said knuckles? Any idea on costs for parts.
    Cost $140-$150 shipped on eBay. I replaced the left one myself. Not a bad job with the correct tools. Should be do-able in 2 hrs.

I got mine here for a couple dollars less the eBay.
    http://www.group1autoparts.com/parts...ion-components

sdobert is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-4
    Update: drivers side rear knuckle replaced and the hub assembly. Everything sounds much better so far.

Quote Originally Posted by sdobert View Post
    Update: drivers side rear knuckle replaced and the hub assembly. Everything sounds much better so far.
    Thank you for updating the thread, sdobert. I am glad your vehicle concern is resolved now and everything sounds much better. If any questions arise, don't hesitate to contact us via private message so we can assist.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.