Problem with NAV/AUDIO Screen -2011 CTS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Panzer Leader
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Problem with NAV/AUDIO Screen -2011 CTS in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; 2011 CTS with NAV option..... Head unit replaced about 8 months ago @ 2k miles on car... Display screen not ...
    Panzer Leader is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS 3.6 V6 RWD Performance Sedan

Problem with NAV/AUDIO Screen -2011 CTS

2011 CTS with NAV option..... Head unit replaced about 8 months ago @ 2k miles on car... Display screen not replaced..... Current problem is an intermittent flickering/rolling on the screen. (Similar to what used to happen on a TV screen) Dealer says they must see this happen to duplicate problem..... Problem only happens during audio use.... I have not seen this happen during the NAV display mode or during backup camera operation. My thoughts are these: 1. Loose connection between head unit and screen when new head unit was installed 2.) possible short 3.) head unit is going bad 4.) Display screen going bad..... I told dealer that I wanted this noted in the records for warranty reasons.... QUESTION: Has anyone else experienced this problem. If so, can you say what the cause was, and the correction process? Can A GM Service Rep be of assistance? - Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Re: Problem with NAV/AUDIO Screen -2011 CTS

Panzer,

There have been a couple of these problems come up and they were due to a loose connection in the head unit.

Good Luck, Marv

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer Leader View Post
    2011 CTS with NAV option..... Head unit replaced about 8 months ago @ 2k miles on car... Display screen not replaced..... Current problem is an intermittent flickering/rolling on the screen. (Similar to what used to happen on a TV screen) Dealer says they must see this happen to duplicate problem..... Problem only happens during audio use.... I have not seen this happen during the NAV display mode or during backup camera operation. My thoughts are these: 1. Loose connection between head unit and screen when new head unit was installed 2.) possible short 3.) head unit is going bad 4.) Display screen going bad..... I told dealer that I wanted this noted in the records for warranty reasons.... QUESTION: Has anyone else experienced this problem. If so, can you say what the cause was, and the correction process? Can A GM Service Rep be of assistance? - Thanks
    Hello Panzer Leader,

I understand you are looking for advice from other forum members who experienced the same or similar issue, in which I see Marv already responded. We are more than happy to assist throughout this process while working with your dealership. Please private message us and include your contact information, VIN, current mileage and the name and location of the dealer. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Laura, thank you. I just picked up the car from Levis Cadillac in Slidell, Louisiana.... They could not duplicate problem.. The Service Writer (Courtney) said that there were no Tech Bulletins... Told me to monitor problem.... The head unit was replaced at about 2-3K miles on car in 2012.... I am concerned about warranty coverage.. If it goes out... Thanks, Chris

Laura, thank you. I just picked up the car from Levis Cadillac in Slidell, Louisiana.... They could not duplicate problem.. The Service Writer (Courtney) said that there were no Tech Bulletins... Told me to monitor problem.... The head unit was replaced at about 2-3K miles on car in 2012.... I am concerned about warranty coverage.. If it goes out... Thanks, Chris
    Hello Chris,

You are welcome. I understand not having your vehicle duplicated at the dealer can be frustrating. Continue to monitor your problem and take note of what conditions your vehicle is under when you notice this occurrence. If you need help in the near future while working with the dealer, please let me know.

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

EVH5150 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe Premium: RWD, FE3 Suspension, 6-speed manual

Not trying to change topics here but, I think I used to see you in the Pontiac G8 forums?

Yes that's me..... Miss the G8 so much.... Might be going after a Chevy SS in the future....

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tbbt View Post
    Panzer,

There have been a couple of these problems come up and they were due to a loose connection in the head unit.

Good Luck, Marv
    Thanks Marv, exactly what I thought... The original head unit replaced due to the USB in the head..... This problem did not occur until after the new head unit was installed.... And it might simply be a loose connection.... The real problem with ALL dealerships today is that they do NOT troubleshoot... They just want to pull and replace.... Frustrating as hell.... I look back at the G8 with no NAV and say, next car no factory NAV or excessive electronics... Catastrophes waiting to happen... I had an XTS as a loaner, damn, an electronic nightmare and way too many distractions for the driver.....
    EVH5150 likes this.

EVH5150 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe Premium: RWD, FE3 Suspension, 6-speed manual

Awesome!

We still have our G8 and it now has 164,000,00 Km's on it. No lie, it has been a perfect car and probably one of GM's/Holden's best vehicles.

My wife and I have actually considered ordering a Holden Commodore straight from Australia because we love this car so much. The new SS is cool however, we like the looks of the G8 or Holden Commodore far better.

I am glad you're driving a Cadillac as these cars are now my new favorite!
    Yes that's me..... Miss the G8 so much.... Might be going after a Chevy SS in the future....

----------

Thanks Marv, exactly what I thought... The original head unit replaced due to the USB in the head..... This problem did not occur until after the new head unit was installed.... And it might simply be a loose connection.... The real problem with ALL dealerships today is that they do NOT troubleshoot... They just want to pull and replace.... Frustrating as hell.... I look back at the G8 with no NAV and say, next car no factory NAV or excessive electronics... Catastrophes waiting to happen... I had an XTS as a loaner, damn, an electronic nightmare and way too many distractions for the driver.....

jghiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Sedan Lux Silver Coast

Keep a phone with a camera with you to take pics when it fails - be careful if driving and taking pics. I had to do this with my 08 and occasional/too often, green screens. Dealer replaced the display unit/screen component.

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

Occassinally I have a similar issue with the NAV screen flickering like an old black-and-white TV. It occurs infrequently, but when it does it's only when the car is first started for the day and usually goes away within a few seconds, and if not I can get rid of it by lowering and raising the screen -- or giving it a high-tech swat upside its head. Once resolved, it doesn't come back that day. Clearly a loose connection that is resolved either as the unit heats up or when one of the other techniques I described is applied. However, it's so unpredictable and intermittent that I haven't bothered to have the dealer check it out. I figure I'd have to leave the car there all day if not overnight, only to be told that (a) they can't replicate it or (b) it's fixed when it's not. Bottom line: it's not a big deal, not a safety hazard, and only a very tiny inconvenience. I live with it, choosing to try to avoid sweating life's insignificant problems.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Judge View Post
    Occassinally I have a similar issue with the NAV screen flickering like an old black-and-white TV. It occurs infrequently, but when it does it's only when the car is first started for the day and usually goes away within a few seconds, and if not I can get rid of it by lowering and raising the screen -- or giving it a high-tech swat upside its head. Once resolved, it doesn't come back that day. Clearly a loose connection that is resolved either as the unit heats up or when one of the other techniques I described is applied. However, it's so unpredictable and intermittent that I haven't bothered to have the dealer check it out. I figure I'd have to leave the car there all day if not overnight, only to be told that (a) they can't replicate it or (b) it's fixed when it's not. Bottom line: it's not a big deal, not a safety hazard, and only a very tiny inconvenience. I live with it, choosing to try to avoid sweating life's insignificant problems.
    I apologize for any inconvenience you are experiencing when using the navigation screen. I understand your hesitation with bringing your vehicle to the dealer due to this concern being intermittent. If you do choose to bring your vehicle into the dealer in the near future, please message me so I can assist.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quote Originally Posted by The_Judge View Post
    Exactly the same problem..... Like an old 1950s TV..... Next car, no factory navigation or other BS electronics.... But thanks for the info, glad to know it wasn't me just imagining this... The dealer kept mine overnight for the reason you brought up.... Still could not duplicate... I told them I would video the screen malfunctioning. Their reply was, well it has to be doing it here.... My best guess, loose connection...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.