To drill or not to drill holes for rust control application
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, To drill or not to drill holes for rust control application in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hi all, New here first post. I just bought an 08 CTS 4 and checked it out at dealers for ...
    CTSRags is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS 4 3.6L AWD

To drill or not to drill holes for rust control application

Hi all,
    New here first post. I just bought an 08 CTS 4 and checked it out at dealers for oil change and safety check and to see if it had been under coated or rust proofed. It has not been undercoated or rust proofed so I will do this before salt and snow this winter just dont know if I should insist on no drilled holes. GM dealer states they do not drill, there are enough holes to do the job. Krone rust control says he needs to drill a few holes to do it right. Id rather no holes but I do want to get all coverage I need. Thoughts about drilling holes? Or do I need to, is there enough holes from factory to do this properly?

Rags

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    No clue if there're enough holes, but the guy doing the job knows better than the dealer who have probably done it exactly zero times.

Put a dab of touch up paint, or better yet, some POR-15 on the bare metal around each hole.
    hauler likes this.

99flhr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

Re: To drill or not to drill holes for rust control application

Drill

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

^ por15

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

All modern cars are rustproofed from the factory. Body panels are dipped in a galvanic treatment prior to the painting process. There is NO need to do rustproofing on our cars. You don't say where you're located. Detroit for instance is built over gigantic salt mines, guess what they use on the roads?

Truly they are just trying to get some of your hard earned cash! Don't do it!

Marv

Thanks all for replies. Sorry I did not mention New Brunswick Canada loads of salt on roads the ocean just 40 mins away. Ive seen rust proof vehs last way longer hen non. So I want to rust proof just dont know if drilling is a good choice. My gut tells me to drill to get into all spots if from factory the holes are not all correctly located.
    I bought a Impala 01 new and by error they did not rust proof it when I ordered it. They were going to keep car an extra few days and do it but I was too eager to take it out. Time passed I never did get it undercoated and regret that as it has huge rusted holes in rocker 12 years later and 500,000 KMs on engine and runs great. It cost me little with no problems over all those years. If I had rust proofed it id be still driving it and it looking good. Up here in the cold north in the east, Ontario east to ocean we rust out even with new GM zinc on body.
    Rags

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Hey Rags,

Let's say that you are the exception! A lot of salt will do a number on cars and YOU do drive a lot of miles/KM's and keep you car much longer than the average owner. So........you should do whatever makes you happy and secure. If you have them drill extra holes, make sure they let the wax drain out of the holes and then plug them up properly.

I was just in QB, NB, PEI and NS on a Seabourn cruise, what beautiful country we saw!

Enjoy your CTS, Marv

Thanks for the help Marv

The other interesting thing about salt on roads and I dont know who else has seen this but in NB we are now using liquid salt on the road.m It I suppose is even worse then rock salt as it is applied as a water and wisps up into ever crack and hole in your car as you drive along. It covers whole car in a white frost like coating after a 30 min drive to the city. They just started this practise about 3 years ago and I wonder how devastating it will be on our cars. Rusty cars eat lobster for $3 a pound there is give and take I guess!

----------

Hey Moist, 99 and Chick,
    Thanks for the advise I think I will drill.
    Rags

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    The car is 5 years old. Kinda like closing the barn door after the horse left.

gohawks
    Ya you could be right, but in eastern canada starting at any time will slow and help the rust issue. It is so bad here that I wont buy a car from Nova Scotie PEI or Newfoundland It has to be NB away from the sea and better yet Quebec or Ontario. Best would be out west Alberta but too far to go to get a car. I bought it used and with only 13k miles on it each year it would appear to have been driven summer only as very few miles and the var looks very clean and as if it has never seen a eastern winter. Trust me you can tell when you look at interior floor mats and under the rear body fender bumper area. If it was garaged and no winter Im a winner for $119 bucks spent if Im wrong then nothing lost as it will stop rust progression and ensure no more new spots form. Ya got to live here i this salt infested winter to know why rust proofing is so important. The Zinc on cars from factory is great for first 5 to 7 years after that the car starts to disappear. Only cars around here that survive 10 years with no rust are the rust proofed ones.
    Rags

----------

gohawks
    Ya you could be right, but in eastern canada starting at any time will slow and help the rust issue. It is so bad here that I wont buy a car from Nova Scotie PEI or Newfoundland It has to be NB away from the sea and better yet Quebec or Ontario. Best would be out west Alberta but too far to go to get a car. I bought it used and with only 13k miles on it each year it would appear to have been driven summer only as very few miles and the var looks very clean and as if it has never seen a eastern winter. Trust me you can tell when you look at interior floor mats and under the rear body fender bumper area. If it was garaged and no winter Im a winner for $119 bucks spent if Im wrong then nothing lost as it will stop rust progression and ensure no more new spots form. Ya got to live here i this salt infested winter to know why rust proofing is so important. The Zinc on cars from factory is great for first 5 to 7 years after that the car starts to disappear. Only cars around here that survive 10 years with no rust are the rust proofed ones.
    Rags

----------

Gohawks, by the way nice ride Im a black car fan myself. We cannot get the coupe here never seen one up this way. They are nice.

p8nter is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 Cadillac STS, 08 CTS on order

I've been painting cars for 35 years. Please do not drill holes in your car. Any time you break the paint it opens the metal to the environment causing more damage. Rust proofing nowadays is mostly a scam.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by CTSRags
    Gohawks, by the way nice ride Im a black car fan myself. We cannot get the coupe here never seen one up this way. They are nice.
    Thank you.

Good luck.

hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Sportwagon 18.2city 28hwy 25hwy AC on

Quote Originally Posted by CTSRags View Post
    The other interesting thing about salt on roads and I dont know who else has seen this but in NB we are now using liquid salt on the road.m It I suppose is even worse then rock salt as it is applied as a water and wisps up into ever crack and hole in your car as you drive along. It covers whole car in a white frost like coating after a 30 min drive.
    Rags
    Iowa has been doing that for a few years and it sucks, big time. The first week I had my CTS, I drove to my daughters house in AR by way of I-80 in IA and got coated. This December, I'll go cross country through IL and MO to get there.

MKWAGON is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 AWD Sportwagon, Diamond white, 3.6 DI

Go for it! It's well worth those few holes if you've got to drive it over that stuff. The brine is devastating, especially if you get on it while it's still wet. Just make sure you wipe it off the rubber seals at the bottom of the doors where it collects and drips out, or it will ruin them.

Ok update,
    I had it done just picked it up he said he would limit the drilling. ended up with one on each forward door jamb area and one to rear in the back seat same thing one forward near centre door post and one rear and high up by door latch of jamb frame. One in trunk lid. Small plug placed in sealed areas so no outside direct exposure and capped off with black caps. I will pop them and paint as some have suggested and thats it. I will take a photo and place it here.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.