2008 CTS Sunroof Leak-Clogged Drain-GM Protection Plan - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2008 CTS Sunroof Leak-Clogged Drain-GM Protection Plan in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Ladies and Gentlemen, I hate to beat this to a bloody pulp, but it is near Halloween right? Anyway, in ...
    wcammack is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Re: 2008 CTS Sunroof Leak-Clogged Drain-GM Protection Plan

Ladies and Gentlemen, I hate to beat this to a bloody pulp, but it is near Halloween right? Anyway, in a Catch-22 situation, the dealer called GMPP, and the GMPP (now Ally) tells the dealer it is a NON-COVERED claim (wow!) but that that they will COVER it on a goodwill basis (OK!) and that my dealer needs to fax documents to the area representative for approval. So, don't completely store those weed whacker lines yet! Bottom line: A $1,400+ repair is now an $800+ repair for removal, drying, and reinstallation of the heavy foam and carpet that was soaked. Vehicle was taken into dealer on Saturday, October 19, and should be ready Monday, October 28=8.5 days out of service. As our former president used to say, I want to make "everything perfectly clear".

Kevin2050 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Can someone post some pictures of just where these lines are?

Thank you

Randy Stone is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS 3.6 DI AWD

OK, just cleaned out the two front drains. With the sunroof open you can see the drains in the front corners. You can see the drain holes in the front corners. I ran the weed eater line down from the top but it would hang up on something about three feet down. I pulled the carpet and insulation back by the kick panel, but getting to the hose is really tight, so with my son's help we took the inner fender loose at the bottom and he reached into where the outlet is. It is a plastic fitting that the hose connects to on the inside of the cowl (Metal behind outer fender). He fed the line into the hole and within an inch the water started coming out. He fed the line all the way through till it was coming out the top drain hole. From there we pulled the line back and forth until a better stream of water was flowing. Feeding a bigger line with the end shaved down to a point would probably work without taking the inner fender loose, but it's what we had to work with. In Florida, we have mud dobbers and ants that love building nest in hard to reach places. The lines did have a muddy clog. So it was either the bugs or the dirt build up where the drain hose attaches to the plastic fitting at the inner fender. Either way, it took less than 30 mins to clean out both.

Nflight86 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS

I have been reading post concerning the water intrusion problem via sunroof drainage. I have a 08 CTS that I have been dealing with for over a year. I have taken it to the dealer several times only for them to either say they can't duplicatre the rear passenger window going down on its own after a car wash or heavy rain. The dealer however did replace either the motor or switch once or twice but after reading this forum I would think they would have looked at the sunroof drainage first. Now that I am out of warranty I am being told that it is my sunroof and it needs to be serviced once a year and they want to charge me over $900 to stop the water from leaking behind the panels which is causing the short in my rear passenger window as well as water on the floor soaking the carpet. I did not read this in my service manual nor have I ever had this issue with other cars that had sunroofs. As with most CTS consumers I think this is a flaw in the design of the drainage tubes. I am stuck with this problem as I don't have $900 to repair this issue. Plus I have a 2nd party warranty!

Randy Stone is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS 3.6 DI AWD

$900.00 to run weed wacker line down the drain tubes? You need to find a new dealer to deal with. But save your money and clean the drains yourself.

bodnerr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

I have also experienced the same issue on my 2008 Cadillac CTS. Unfortunately, despite having 60K and an extended warranty, my dealership has tried to charge me nearly $1,000 to fix, and probably a temporary fix at that. I have done a little research on the subject and found that this is not an uncommon issue with any car that has a sunroof, but especially problematic in the CTS. This is because the manufacturer installed extremely narrow vent tubes that clog at even the slightest debris. A major oversight on their part and should be covered by warranty or even recalled and fixed. I am very surprised to find that this is how Cadillac has reacted, and hope that this is not indicative of their entire brand. I have been able to temporarily fix the clogged vents using a private company who used an air compressor to blow out the clog. Worked for about 1-2 months until they re-clogged. This temporary fix cost me $175 and I am thinking could be done myself if I had the equipment and know-how of accessing the tubes. But still, this is costly and inconvenient due to the frequency this will likely happen. I'd like to find a permanent fix but the only one I can see is replacing the tubes with larger tubes, which I'm sure would cost an arm and leg. Very disappointed in finding this is such a common and easily avoidable issue. Anyone else find and easier way to permanently fix this? The byproduct of this is standing water in places of the car which is a pain to remove, and can lead to mold, smell, and possibly get to more electronics underneath floor boards that could cause a major failure.

Thanks,
    Richard

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Others have successfully installed larger drain tubes I believe.

Also, you can use lawn trimmer string and run it up the tubes to keep them cleaned out.

Midnightour is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Can you use compressed air every once in a while to blow these out? I believe think this would be a fitting solution if you have an air compressor or am I missing something?

Panzer Leader is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS 3.6 V6 RWD Performance Sedan

Be careful with the amount of psi. Then again, hey GM design a tool to fix problem the problem.

bodnerr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS
    Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    Others have successfully installed larger drain tubes I believe.

Also, you can use lawn trimmer string and run it up the tubes to keep them cleaned out.
    Tinman: do you know how much this has cost others to replace with larger tubes? And I'm not too sure how lawn trimmer string works as a preventative measure? Seems like clogs would still occur despite there being string running end-to-end through the tubes.

----------

[QUOTE="Midnightour;11973993"]Can you use compressed air every once in a while to blow these out? I believe think this would be a fitting solution if you have an air compressor or am I missing something

Midnightrun: the air compressor solution is probably the best and easiest temporary solution, but I'm hoping to find a more permanent solution so I don't have to keep dealing with intermittent floodings.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

bodnerr, use the string to run upwards/backwards through the clogged drains to clean them out. Then remove the string. This is a maintenance item to keep your drains clear.

Douglas Rome is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-4 3.0 Base sedan black/black

I have had sunroof cars first one was a 1988 Olds and many since then. None of
    them has ever experienced a leak and all have been GM cars. It seems to me this
    is a CTS issue, prolly SRX too, and GM should step up to the plate to resolve this
    issue. The fix that has been mentioned here is to increase the drain line from 1/4"
    to 1/2" and Walla, problem solved. I would be very interested to know if somewhere
    between 2008 and 2013, if the factory has made this modification? thanks, Douglas

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

If you don't have a compressor I would use canned air , usually used for cleaning a computer keyboard. It has plenty of PSI. Also after cleaning the tubes, fully lube the inside of the drain tubes by spraying WD40 using the sprayer tube. That might make it harder for thing to stick in there. Just an idea.

Midnightour is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Could mold be an issue? I know my house AC drain tubes plug up not from debris but from mold and they are ¾ tubes, I live in the south. I run a cup of bleach down the lines every winter to kill off the growth this stops them from plugging up with mold in the summer months. We can’t use bleach but vinegar is a viable alternative, won’t harm paint.

Panzer Leader is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS 3.6 V6 RWD Performance Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by C "T" ess View Post
    If you don't have a compressor I would use canned air , usually used for cleaning a computer keyboard. It has plenty of PSI. Also after cleaning the tubes, fully lube the inside of the drain tubes by spraying WD40 using the sprayer tube. That might make it harder for thing to stick in there. Just an idea.
    I was thinking of the same thing today......

----------

So just how much would an independent mechanic charge to do the upgrade to a larger diameter drain lines?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.