2008 CTS Sunroof Leak-Clogged Drain-GM Protection Plan - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2008 CTS Sunroof Leak-Clogged Drain-GM Protection Plan in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; You're welcome, Bill....
    tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Re: 2008 CTS Sunroof Leak-Clogged Drain-GM Protection Plan

You're welcome, Bill.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by wcammack View Post
    Hi Greg--FYI I sent an e-mail to you with all of the requested information. Thank you for any assistance you are able to provide. --Bill
    Hello wcammack,

Thank you very much for taking the time to send me the email. I checked our email inbox and I apologize but I haven’t received your email yet. Could you send the email again, and confirm that you sent the email to socialmedia@gm.com as well as have “ATTN GREG” in the subject line? I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

wcammack is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Dear Greg: I forwarded my two (2) e-mails to you again. Please let me know if you receive them. I also authorized repair today since GMPP considers this a water leak as opposed to a defective drain issue. The repair will last over a week at least and probably exceed $1,400+.

So this will be covered under a warranty? If so, excellent. And be glad it's a gmpp, because I highly doubt any other warranty would have stepped up to the plate from what I understand. And unfortunately, the Cards didn't step up to the plate last night, either.

As of the time of this being written Tinman, GM Protetion Plan states that it is a non-covered item as it is considered a "leak". Therefore, I will be eating the $1,400+ out of my own finances. Regardless of how I begged or pleaded with the service consultant, that is the way it is. So sunroof fans, may be time to get out the weed whacker line!

Like you, I am not happy you have to eat this. I have never cleaned mine out. My logic is that we get some tremendously intense but short rainstorms here in Florida. I like to think that those storms flush my drains. I think I will get out the ol' turkey baster to experiment with them, just to make sure. I will use some trimmer line and will smooth out the raw cut end with a match before I drive it down the drain.

Dear Greg: I forwarded my two (2) e-mails to you again. Please let me know if you receive them. I also authorized repair today since GMPP considers this a water leak as opposed to a defective drain issue. The repair will last over a week at least and probably exceed $1,400+.
    Hello Bill,

I have sent you a private message regarding your email. Please let me know if you do not receive it.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Hi Gregory--I sent you a private message here in response to your post. I have sent the same e-mail at least three times to your address you indicated and it was never returned so I assumed that you received it. Hope the private message makes it to you!

Hi Gregory--I sent you a private message here in response to your post. I have sent the same e-mail at least three times to your address you indicated and it was never returned so I assumed that you received it. Hope the private message makes it to you!
    Hello Bill,

I apologize that I never received the email but I wanted to let you know that I did receive your private message so I will continue to respond to you there. Thank you for your patience!

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

snafu is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS DI AWD Luxury-Performance II ThunderGray/Titanium

What/How can GM consider this a leak opposed to a drain issue. You (I assume) didn't fill the sunroof area with debris so you would fill your car with water. I understand that dirt can/will accumulate over time in the area but since most/all dealers offer service to you that are of little need of, I would think this would be a service that they SHOULD offer so that this doesn't happen to anyone. " how about a throttle body clean for $$".
    If you left your window open- your expense to correct, but with the post I've seen here this is out of the typical car owner to do list. I have the sunroof (garage kept car) but will check mine.

snafu

Panzer Leader is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS 3.6 V6 RWD Performance Sedan

I have a 2011 CTS with sunroof, and so far no problem... I have had sunroofs in all my cars, up to including my G8. No problems... However, this is obviously a factory design defect. I would suggest that GM repair this vehicle under the warranty. This is not a leak, but "defective/flawed drain design." In fact, TINMAN's detailed solution is the right way to go.... Having said that, clearing of the drain lines is maintenance. Whether you or a tech does it, it needs to be done... Therefore, GM resize the lines, per TINMANS solution... And the owner does preventive maintenance. You can check with other car manufactures and they will state the same thing. In the end I have learned something...I do not know if the same design is in the 2011 or not.... But I have been in some heavy rain storms here in New Orleans, and I have no overflow due to the drains. BUT when it occurs, I will contact GM and the extended warranty coverage. I also have a private mechanic and would prefer him to do the upgrade.

UPDATE: I called GM Protection Plan (now Ally Financial I think) at (800) 631-5590 and spoke to someone with experience in the Claims area. He stated that this was something that all sunroofs/moonroof/etc. do--that is, leak. As long as it is a factory installed unit, tracks and drains ARE a covered item. However, consequential damages such as water logged carpet ARE NOT covered. I know the distinction is subtle, but there it is. Please NOTE: If you have one of these leaking sunroof issues, you MUST have your dealer CALL IN to GM Protection Plan (GMPP)--it cannot be done by computer and, I assume, must be manually done by GMPP via instructions to the dealer. Weekend warriors ATTENTION: Put down that weed whacker line, prop your feet up, and catch the rest of the World Series or NFL!

By the way, your insurance may cover all of the work involved. File a claim. They covered my Dad's flood claim inside his car and replaced everything. There is no reason they should not cover your problem.

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

............ Weekend warriors ATTENTION: Put down that weed whacker line, prop your feet up, and catch the rest of the World Series or NFL!
    Funny, it is called World Series and only USA is playing

NHL and college football, too.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.