Newbie Buying a CTS Wagon for the 1st Time. Please help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GMJim
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Newbie Buying a CTS Wagon for the 1st Time. Please help in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hello Everyone! I am new to this forum and buying a Cadillac for the first time. I have previously owned ...
    username404 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Newbie Buying a CTS Wagon for the 1st Time. Please help

Hello Everyone!

I am new to this forum and buying a Cadillac for the first time. I have previously owned Scion .... Subaru WRX to Lexus GX470. Currently I have 2009 BMW 328xi Sedan. I live in NYC and park the car on the street. Normally i don't drive to work and my wife uses this car. Now i am starting a new job out side the Manhattan and decided to get the CTS Wagon (but i really want the V and can't afford one). So far I am stuck between 2 cars, both Blue in color with White interior since i can't find the one with Black. 2012 with Performance Package 9K miles for $29K and 2013 with Luxury Package 11K mile for $30K. Since i never drove any of the car (they are about 2-3 hours away form the city) it's hard to make a decision. I really like the 2012 package because of the power and options included with the Performance package. But 2013 will be newer and i get the Maintenance package until 50K miles or 4 years warranty. My decision is going toward the 2012 Performance package ..... what are your thoughts? Thanks!

2012 Link
    http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

2013 Link

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium

Re: Newbie Buying a CTS Wagon for the 1st Time. Please help

The bigger difference between the two is that the 2012 has the 3.6L engine (318hp) versus the 3.0L (270HP) in the 2013. Not sure how important that is to you, but there is a noticeable performance difference between the two.

Leaf 68 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS - RWD/Perf./BlackRaven

Performance pkg also gives you upgraded suspension, HID headlamps, fog lights and 18" vs. 17" rims.

GMJim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04,06,10 SRX; 2011/14 CTS Wagon

Performance over Lux any day. I have the inferior, girlish, losermobile 3.0L and it suites me just fine. Though I have not won a NASCAR pole with it.
    mnmjack likes this.

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

I agree with the above comments. I have a 3.6 wagon and have driven loaners with the 3.0. If giddyup and go is important to you, then get the 3.6. MPG is similar, so I wouldn't personally factor that in.

GMJim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04,06,10 SRX; 2011/14 CTS Wagon

droptopron is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '10 3.0 AWD Sedan

The wagon weighs a few lbs more than the sedan so the extra power of the 3.0 vs the 3.6 is a bigger factor. IMO you'd be better off with the '12.

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

241 pounds.

From the November 2009 Issue of Car and Driver
    When the national dalliance with SUVs seemed to put the entire country in a knobby-tired trance, we muttered to ourselves: Why would anyone want to ruin a perfectly good wagon by giving it a high center of gravity? The public responded to our grousing by clogging the roads with Ford Explorers and their ilk.

For the most part, we like wagons: They don’t sit high; they handle and perform like the cars upon which they’re based; and they can haul more stuff than sedans. But for some reason, wagons have left a bad taste in the mouths of American drivers. Hearing the word triggers a flashback of some horrific family vacation or the long arm of daddy unleashing a flurry of slaps rearward from the front seat.

These days, the first thing automakers do is dump the w-word, replacing it with exciting, foreign-sounding names such as Avant, Touring, Estate, or Sport Tourer. But old-school Cadillac has gone and stuck the dreaded word right in the name of the new CTS Sport Wagon. Maybe the brain trust thought no one would read one letter past “Sport.”

The changes to this version of the CTS are from the B-pillars rearward. Weighing in at 4212 pounds, the Sport Wagon is 241 pounds portlier than the last CTS sedan we tested. Much of the weight increase can be attributed to the extended roofline, the structural buttressing, and the electric hatch, but some is likely due to the glass roof that came on our test car. So the wagon is heavier than the sedan—a clear disadvantage—but the extra mass is offset by improved weight distribution. Sport Wagons are less nose-heavy than CTS sedans, with 48.6 percent of the mass over the rear wheels versus the sedan’s 46.7 percent. With more weight resting on top of them, the rear tires don’t have any trouble putting the power to the ground.

However, our Sport Wagon’s 304-hp, 3.6-liter 24-valve direct-injection V-6—the base engine for 2010 is a 270-hp, 3.0-liter V-6—did seem somewhat overcome by the extra mass. Running from 0 to 60 in 7.0 seconds isn’t criminal, but the sedan does the deed in six flat. Cadillac folks say that roughly 0.3 second is sacrificed to the weight and another 0.3 is lost to the newly optional and heavier 19-inch wheels and larger brakes of the FE3 suspension. There’s also a revised torque converter that is supposed to increase smoothness and efficiency, and it, too, may have contributed to the Sport Wagon’s off-the-line sluggishness.

The CTS’s excellent handling, brakes, and steering remain untainted. The Sport Wagon’s great advantage over the sedan’s 14-cubic-foot trunk is its beautifully lined, 25 cubic feet of cargo space (53 with the rear seats folded). From the floor rails that provide attachment points for various tie-downs to the perfectly trimmed carpet, Cadillac seems to have created an exact replica of the cargo compartment of the Mercedes E-class wagon.

Unlike the utilitarian Benz wagon, the Cadillac’s crease-intensive sheetmetal gives it an air of sportiness. In fact, we think it’s more attractive than the sedan. And the base version starts at $40,655, or $3100 more than the base sedan. The only option our $54,635 Sport Wagon lacked was all-wheel drive. Even at that price, the Caddy wagon is still less expensive than comparably equipped competition from Audi, BMW, and Mercedes. Nevertheless, we still don’t expect the car-buying public to notice, so the Sport Wagon will remain a well-kept secret for fans of cars with D-pillars.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by username404 View Post
    Hello Everyone!

I am new to this forum and buying a Cadillac for the first time. I have previously owned Scion .... Subaru WRX to Lexus GX470. Currently I have 2009 BMW 328xi Sedan. I live in NYC and park the car on the street. Normally i don't drive to work and my wife uses this car. Now i am starting a new job out side the Manhattan and decided to get the CTS Wagon (but i really want the V and can't afford one). So far I am stuck between 2 cars, both Blue in color with White interior since i can't find the one with Black. 2012 with Performance Package 9K miles for $29K and 2013 with Luxury Package 11K mile for $30K. Since i never drove any of the car (they are about 2-3 hours away form the city) it's hard to make a decision. I really like the 2012 package because of the power and options included with the Performance package. But 2013 will be newer and i get the Maintenance package until 50K miles or 4 years warranty. My decision is going toward the 2012 Performance package ..... what are your thoughts? Thanks!

2012 Link

2013 Link
    Hello username404,

Welcome to Cadillac Owners! I've read through this thread and see the advice forum members are providing for you. This must be an exciting time, looking to purchase your first Cadillac. If you have additional questions, please contact us via private message. We are here to assist.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Tom Wheeler is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 SRX, 2012 CTS Sport Wagon

To me this is a no brainer, get the 2012 Performance Sport Wagon, the fun of the 3.6 and the extra standard equipment makes it a clear choice over the 3.0 Lux 2013 Sport Wagon. My 2012 Premium Sport Wagon was in the dealer for one day getting a flying stone dent fixed and I had a 2012 Lux 3.0 Sport Wagon in black just like mine for a loaner. I could not believe how much I missed my wagon even though it was just for a day.....sorry do not mean to offend anyone with the Luxury level CTS, the Premium spoiled me...

Tom

Johnny Dee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS SPORT WAGON 3.0 THUNDER GRAY RWD

I have 2010 3.0 RWD 17" wheels. It is fine with me. Like I have said, if it were juice I was going for I would get the V. Am curious to know if the Luxury 17" wheels and not as tight a suspension offer a bit more of a comfortable ride than the Performance? The Blue is a great color but I too wanted the black interior
    so "settled" for theThunder Gray.
    I noticed that the two models you are considering do not have the Navagation System. Not a deal breaker but I don't think I would have purchased mine
    without it. The 2013 has a sunroof, while the '12 does not. They are both AWD, so given that - I think I would go with the 3.6.
    I am a bit envious... Since I got mine, I have dreamed of cruising upsate on the Taconic State Parkway -maybe some day.... In the meantime, the Natchez
    Trace Pkwy will have to suffice. You will enjoy the wagon!
    FYI - The best MPG I have gotten thus far is 24 on the highway...

username404 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks for all the replies....i myself is a power guy, so it makes sense to get the performance package for sure...I considered 2013 Luxury only because of the newer car, less mileage, additional options (sunroof + Navigation) and FREE Maintenance plan. As for the suspensions, does performance package come with the magnetic suspension like the one on V Spec or just different (harder) tuning from the Luxury model.

I will try to go to both dealership this week and test drive both vehicles. Again, thanks for all the help!

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by username404
    Thanks for all the replies....i myself is a power guy, so it makes sense to get the performance package for sure...I considered 2013 Luxury only because of the newer car, less mileage, additional options (sunroof + Navigation) and FREE Maintenance plan. As for the suspensions, does performance package come with the magnetic suspension like the one on V Spec or just different (harder) tuning from the Luxury model. I will try to go to both dealership this week and test drive both vehicles. Again, thanks for all the help!
    For the second gen CTS, MRT is only offered on the V.

I believe the suspension for the non V models is as follows:

FE1 is the softest suspension which comes con the base models
    FE2 is firmer and is standard on the performance and premium models. I read that the FE2 is the best compromise between the FE1 and optional FE3.
    FE3 is the firmest suspension and comes in the Sport package which in addition to the suspension also includes 19" wheels, paddle shifters and Recaro seats

At least that's what I recall. I'm sure someone will correct me if some of my facts are not entirely correct.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.