Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2008 6-speed manual transmission, is it even any good?

3K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  EVH5150 
#1 ·
i've noticed a (precious) few manual CTS' with the premium package floating around the 14 grand mark.
and the rule is, if there's a manual version, always go for it.

but is the manual even any good? i've heard some stories that it's a pretty lousy, unsatisfying manual that you'd find in a really low end subaru or something.

and could i haggle the price much further down since, it being a manual, VERY few are going to buy it?

#6 ·
I don't know if this is the same m.t. as the V. If it is, the V boys love their manny.

As far as beating down a dealer because he has a manual, YES. They are dogs in the public eye. When I mentioned a manual to my dealer, they said "only with a substantial down payment" because they don't want to get stuck with it if I didn't buy it. Beat that dealer down! Be merciless! And then kick 'em! :want:

Reactions: EVH5150
#7 ·
I agree!

The dealer practically gave mine away. I purchased my Caddy for 35,000,00 Canadian with only 8400km's on it, the thing was literally brand new!

They actually told me that no one buys a caddy with a manual trans, so I licked my chops and went in for the kill, lol!!!

#9 ·
Pretty easy to find out. Do your research on prices in your area, find out how long it's been on the lot and present your offer in a professional way and see what happens. You didn't say what year and the miles, making a price guesstimate difficult. Go for it and become a CTS owner.

Marv

#10 ·
oh, it's a 2008 with 72k miles. it's about 200 miles away
oddly enough i haven't found anything with higher miles and a manual nearby.
well, anything non-base-trim anyway. gotta have those heated seats yo.

an added complication is that there are no manual cts' within easy driving distance at all, so test driving one will be difficult

#15 ·
tinman said:
I don't know if this is the same m.t. as the V. If it is, the V boys love their manny. As far as beating down a dealer because he has a manual, YES. They are dogs in the public eye. When I mentioned a manual to my dealer, they said "only with a substantial down payment" because they don't want to get stuck with it if I didn't buy it. Beat that dealer down! Be merciless! And then kick 'em! :want:
+1 this manual V guy swears by the TR-6060 in the V. One of the best manual shifters on the market IMHO, and I have tried more than a few. Unfortunately, that's not in the regular CTS. Not sure which manual they went with but I see very few complaints about it on this site.

#16 ·
The non-V CTS uses an ASin 6 speed which is significantly different. I bought a 2008 with the M/T and hated it. The clutch was never right (too grabby and the shifter was too balky) at least until I put a short shifter in. I live in a urban/suburban area with stop lights at every corner. My leg would go numb in any sort of traffic. My previous car was a Corvette with M/T but never had a problem. The clutch engaged much sooner with less leg motion. That one too had a short shifter.

#17 ·
The non-V CTS uses an ASin 6 speed which is significantly different. I bought a 2008 with the M/T and hated it. The clutch was never right (too grabby and the shifter was too balky) at least until I put a short shifter in. I live in a urban/suburban area with stop lights at every corner. My leg would go numb in any sort of traffic. My previous car was a Corvette with M/T but never had a problem. The clutch engaged much sooner with less leg motion. That one too had a short shifter.
shoot, this is what i was worried about
i was planning on a short shifter kit, but i assume there's no easy way to modify the clutch feel or the travel?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.