2008 6-speed manual transmission, is it even any good?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2008 6-speed manual transmission, is it even any good? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; i've noticed a (precious) few manual CTS' with the premium package floating around the 14 grand mark. and the rule ...
    joekitch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

2008 6-speed manual transmission, is it even any good?

i've noticed a (precious) few manual CTS' with the premium package floating around the 14 grand mark.
    and the rule is, if there's a manual version, always go for it.

but is the manual even any good? i've heard some stories that it's a pretty lousy, unsatisfying manual that you'd find in a really low end subaru or something.

and could i haggle the price much further down since, it being a manual, VERY few are going to buy it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 2008 6-speed manual transmission, is it even any good?

also, what the hell is with car dealerships mis-labeling automatic CTS' as manuals?
    of every 50 cars on cars.com listed as a 6-speed manual, maybe one or two is ACTUALLY A a 6-speed

jurzdevil is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS 3.6DI FE3 MN6

I imagine they misinterpret the shift buttons for the automatic as manual. I've had my 09 for nearly 5 years now and have loved every minute of it. Transmission seems just fine to me. Only thing to do is take one for a test drive and see how it feels for yourself.
    99flhr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jurzdevil View Post
    I imagine they misinterpret the shift buttons for the automatic as manual. I've had my 09 for nearly 5 years now and have loved every minute of it. Transmission seems just fine to me. Only thing to do is take one for a test drive and see how it feels for yourself.
    but that's a manumatic
    honestly i might just chalk it up to americans not knowing what an actual stick looks like

EVH5150 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe Premium: RWD, FE3 Suspension, 6-speed manual

Yes it's extremely good!

Clutch feel is very precise, some people would say too precise. I also love how the shifter goes crisply into each gear without any movement.
    Quote Originally Posted by joekitch View Post
    i've noticed a (precious) few manual CTS' with the premium package floating around the 14 grand mark.
    and the rule is, if there's a manual version, always go for it.

but is the manual even any good? i've heard some stories that it's a pretty lousy, unsatisfying manual that you'd find in a really low end subaru or something.

and could i haggle the price much further down since, it being a manual, VERY few are going to buy it?

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

I don't know if this is the same m.t. as the V. If it is, the V boys love their manny.

As far as beating down a dealer because he has a manual, YES. They are dogs in the public eye. When I mentioned a manual to my dealer, they said "only with a substantial down payment" because they don't want to get stuck with it if I didn't buy it. Beat that dealer down! Be merciless! And then kick 'em!
    EVH5150 likes this.

I agree!

The dealer practically gave mine away. I purchased my Caddy for 35,000,00 Canadian with only 8400km's on it, the thing was literally brand new!

They actually told me that no one buys a caddy with a manual trans, so I licked my chops and went in for the kill, lol!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    I don't know if this is the same m.t. as the V. If it is, the V boys love their manny.

As far as beating down a dealer because he has a manual, YES. They are dogs in the public eye. When I mentioned a manual to my dealer, they said "only with a substantial down payment" because they don't want to get stuck with it if I didn't buy it. Beat that dealer down! Be merciless! And then kick 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by EVH5150 View Post
    I agree!

The dealer practically gave mine away. I purchased my Caddy for 35,000,00 Canadian with only 8400km's on it, the thing was literally brand new!

They actually told me that no one buys a caddy with a manual trans, so I licked my chops and went in for the kill, lol!!!
    heh, that's good news, there's a manual cts premium trim for like 15 grand nearby, i wonder if i could chop it down to more like 12 grand without much trouble
    EVH5150 likes this.

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Pretty easy to find out. Do your research on prices in your area, find out how long it's been on the lot and present your offer in a professional way and see what happens. You didn't say what year and the miles, making a price guesstimate difficult. Go for it and become a CTS owner.

Marv

Quote Originally Posted by Tbbt View Post
    Pretty easy to find out. Do your research on prices in your area, find out how long it's been on the lot and present your offer in a professional way and see what happens. You didn't say what year and the miles, making a price guesstimate difficult. Go for it and become a CTS owner.

Marv
    oh, it's a 2008 with 72k miles. it's about 200 miles away
    oddly enough i haven't found anything with higher miles and a manual nearby.
    well, anything non-base-trim anyway. gotta have those heated seats yo.

an added complication is that there are no manual cts' within easy driving distance at all, so test driving one will be difficult

Mistercoffee2 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

but that's a manumatic
    honestly i might just chalk it up to americans not knowing what an actual stick looks like
    We know more then you thing Canook. We know where the shift key is and that "American's" is capitalized.

I was surprised at this from the Urban Dictionary:

"Canook - A Canadian. Also known as North American's less trigger happy half." LOL

So watch what you say.

Not living in the north I looked it up to insure it was not totally insulting.

It goes on to say:

"One who drinks real beer, rules at hockey, invented both basketball and baseball and insists on wearing a Canadian flag while traveling abroad so that someone doesn't mistake them for an American."

I just thought everyone should know who bad mouthing American's.

CTSRags is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS 4 3.6L AWD

My 2 cents is the days of manual are gone. The manumatics are precis enough to do what is needed. one only needs to look at Formula 1 and what Mercedes is doing to know whats working well. My 78 sports coupe Mercedes had a automatic that if manually shifted was better then my corvette stick. Autos have come a long way. Unless you want the cool feel ascetic of the stick stay with the auto. Im on week one of my CTS and loving the auto with M sport option it is as effective as a stick for all but the 1/4 mile drag start. wont be doing that so no need. I rated my Mercedes as the best shifter 4 speed Auto closely followed by my vette 4 speed auto and now the CTS which is way better and rivals my Mercedes SUV 5 speed auto. Any of my sticks dont come close.
    Rags used to be a stick only guy now auto only......maybe its cause im 52.....nay.
    Mistercoffee2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistercoffee2 View Post
    We know more then you thing Canook. We know where the shift key is and that "American's" is capitalized.

I was surprised at this from the Urban Dictionary:

"Canook - A Canadian. Also known as North American's less trigger happy half." LOL

So watch what you say.

Not living in the north I looked it up to insure it was not totally insulting.

It goes on to say:

"One who drinks real beer, rules at hockey, invented both basketball and baseball and insists on wearing a Canadian flag while traveling abroad so that someone doesn't mistake them for an American."

I just thought everyone should know who bad mouthing American's.
    i'm from...massachuset-
    you know what? yeah, i'm canadian. ham and maple syrup, all great
    americans are still completely baffled by manual transmissions though. pretty much only auto enthusiasts care about them anymore, and dealers are not enthusiasts

----------

Quote Originally Posted by CTSRags View Post
    My 2 cents is the days of manual are gone. The manumatics are precis enough to do what is needed. one only needs to look at Formula 1 and what Mercedes is doing to know whats working well. My 78 sports coupe Mercedes had a automatic that if manually shifted was better then my corvette stick. Autos have come a long way. Unless you want the cool feel ascetic of the stick stay with the auto. Im on week one of my CTS and loving the auto with M sport option it is as effective as a stick for all but the 1/4 mile drag start. wont be doing that so no need. I rated my Mercedes as the best shifter 4 speed Auto closely followed by my vette 4 speed auto and now the CTS which is way better and rivals my Mercedes SUV 5 speed auto. Any of my sticks dont come close.
    Rags used to be a stick only guy now auto only......maybe its cause im 52.....nay.
    there's one, major thing manumatics, and all automatics lack and will always lack;
    fun, and connection to your car.
    it's just so damn satisfying to slam gears home and challenge yourself to shift faster or smoother, and there's just something slick about operating a manual without even thinking about it. every now and then you glance down and go "huh, i was doing that the whole time", and then you go hooning somewhere because hooning is a blast
    EVH5150 likes this.

You could definitely chop the price down! Tell the sales rep that no one in their right mind would buy a luxury car such as a CTS with a manual transmission, lol!
    heh, that's good news, there's a manual cts premium trim for like 15 grand nearby, i wonder if i could chop it down to more like 12 grand without much trouble

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
    Quote Originally Posted by tinman
    I don't know if this is the same m.t. as the V. If it is, the V boys love their manny. As far as beating down a dealer because he has a manual, YES. They are dogs in the public eye. When I mentioned a manual to my dealer, they said "only with a substantial down payment" because they don't want to get stuck with it if I didn't buy it. Beat that dealer down! Be merciless! And then kick 'em!
    +1 this manual V guy swears by the TR-6060 in the V. One of the best manual shifters on the market IMHO, and I have tried more than a few. Unfortunately, that's not in the regular CTS. Not sure which manual they went with but I see very few complaints about it on this site.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.