Oil filter cap, nut snapped off cap!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Oil filter cap, nut snapped off cap!! in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; So I have the oil change done by the dealer last time, I go to change the oil in the ...
    mts678 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Black CTS

Oil filter cap, nut snapped off cap!!

So I have the oil change done by the dealer last time, I go to change the oil in the filter and while trying to loosen the oil filter The nut snapped off of it!

I called the dealer and unfortunately everybody in service has left for the weekend and I won't getting anybody on the phone till Monday.

I'll be damned if I'm paying for it!!

But if they're not going to help me what can I do to get the cap off and replace it?

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1382222471.120332.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Srsbisns is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS 3.6 DI AWD

Re: Oil filter cap, nut snapped off cap!!

Getting the cap of is just a matter of clamping onto it with tools and screwing it off. (if you got any super strong friends call in a favor because it will be a pain in the ass to get it off if it was over torqued on. worst case you might have to chisel it off like others in the past: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...using-cap.html )

Based on this link: http://www.gmpartseast.com/Page_Prod...Code=6D1&Year= the key is 450 and part # is **583470 and should set you back 30-50 bucks.

as shown in this other diagram http://www.gmpartseast.com/Page_Prod...Code=6D1&Year=

the part should be the same regardless if your awd or rwd (couldn't tell based off your post)

edit: also make sure to check that the o-ring is still in reusable condition when you remove the damaged cap and order one if necessary it's like 4 bucks key is 451 part # is **577653 based on the previous links provided. They must of torqued that thing on good for it to snap off like that when un-tightening. You can reference this faq for other information http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...nge/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Srsbisns View Post
    Getting the cap of is just a matter of clamping onto it with tools and screwing it off. (if you got any super strong friends call in a favor because it will be a pain in the ass to get it off if it was over torqued on. worst case you might have to chisel it off like others in the past: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...using-cap.html )

Based on this link: http://www.gmpartseast.com/Page_Prod...Code=6D1&Year= the key is 450 and part # is **583470 and should set you back 30-50 bucks.

as shown in this other diagram http://www.gmpartseast.com/Page_Prod...Code=6D1&Year=

the part should be the same regardless if your awd or rwd (couldn't tell based off your post)

edit: also make sure to check that the o-ring is still in reusable condition when you remove the damaged cap and order one if necessary it's like 4 bucks key is 451 part # is **577653 based on the previous links provided. They must of torqued that thing on good for it to snap off like that when un-tightening. You can reference this faq for other information http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...nge/index.html
    Thanks for the great information!! They better take care of me- the drain plug and that cap was way over torqued! Ridiculous! I tried to search on this fruk on my Iphone but that was a pain in the azz so I posted this thread (no computer access where I am). I appreciate the help bud!

wmillar is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS DI F3 Sport Suspension
    did you get it fixed

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

These things tend to get tighter so not sure the dealer will do anything for you, I always notice they are tighter than when I out them on last.
    99flhr likes this.

99flhr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

Strap wrench for removal gets my vote

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Quote Originally Posted by 99flhr View Post
    Strap wrench for removal gets my vote
    If it were mine, I would put some gorilla tape on it and take it back to the dealer that did the oil change! I would also make them show me how many ft. pounds it was tightened to. Then they would need to give me a free oil change and a new filter cap. We all know that lot boys do the oil changes and not technicians.

ROC OUT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS

I just changed the oil in my 2008 yesterday and yes, the oil filter cartridge housing cap was way tight. Fortunately, mine came off with extra effort and nothing broke. You may want to try one of those old fashioned oil filter wrenches that uses a chain for the "strap" portion (assuming you can get it to fit around the cartridge housing. Good luck!

dmeray1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Is it easier to remove HOT or COLD? Mine was a little tough to get off and I am thinking for the future what would be the best approach. Ice it down or apply a little heat from a torch?

Srsbisns is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS 3.6 DI AWD

Quote Originally Posted by dmeray1 View Post
    Is it easier to remove HOT or COLD? Mine was a little tough to get off and I am thinking for the future what would be the best approach. Ice it down or apply a little heat from a torch?
    Metal contracts when cold and expands on heating, you be the judge.

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

We usually have plenty of spare LLT & LFX parts here if you ever need.
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

Marlin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

A strap may get it off.

Rockauto has the oil filter cap, AC Delco brand with gasket, for $28 plus shipping.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

I would think hot may be the ticket to get it off then cool when it goes back on.

Mine was tight but it felt like the face was just bound on the canister and not the threads, so I would think if put on hot as it cools it pulls the cap down a bit and it gets tight on the face.

Tighten cool and try a bit of never seize on the face of the cap.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

3. Remove the oil filter cap with a 6 point 24mm socket and 12” extension. You might need a breaker bar. Retain the O-ring on the filler cap for reuse.
    ***Install oil pan drain plug and new O-ring seal, Tighten to 20 Nm (14.75 foot pounds)
    ***Install oil filter cap, tighten to 25 Nm (18.44 foot pounds)

Sorry guys- I'm signed up for email notifications but I never get them!!

I was so kissed off at the dealer- we hardly drive this car and it's been almost a year since we changed the oil, computer didn't say to do it but I wanted to change it. So when I called the dealer I explain what the deal was and the service advisor says "Your supposed to
    Change the oil once a year why didn't you?" I said "look man, were past that point, the problem is your tech over torqued the chit outta the drain plug and the filter cap housing and now it's broke!" He hung up on me!! I then called back and spoke to some other lady and she was giving me crap about not changing the oil sooner as well! I told her the same thing, that this is not about how frequent I change the damn oil and it's about your tech not properly following manufacturer instructions and specs and that I question your technicians ability to properly service any customers or my vehicles.

I get put on hold, so I go to look at the window sticker to see if there's a tech badge number or something to identify the tech by and resliZe I got the oil changed at a lube shop around the corner. Lol I felt stupid. But, they were treating me poorly if you ask me, had a piss poor attitude and were snooty with me when on the phone, not to me room one idiot hung up the phone on me- I heard the phone slam down on the receiver, It wasn't a disconnect or dropped call.

So I call the lube shop and the owner says they have problems with the kids getting tight like that, but offered to send a guy over immediately to get the cap off and he was successful with a 8" punch tapping around every inch or so. My dad has a dealer account with XL parts (they provide alot of dealers with their parts) so I got a new cap for $24.00 and all is good now.

Btw I did try HVAC metal tape and duct tape- not strong enough to hold that oil pressure. Just for future reference. Somebody's gotta make a better aftermarket cap do they?!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.